C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Broken Rocker Stub

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:32 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

When my lifter imploded there was an aprox 3/8 x 3/8 piece of the lifter skirt left behind.
I used a dig camera and found the piece of metal skirt on the windage tray.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FXRo7Aod8i0AOg

Went right in through the opening under the valley cover and snaked around.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 PM
Arclight
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you haven't already- cut the oil filter open and unroll the element.Maybe it caught some small pieces.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:41 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Had my hands all over every square inch of that engine compartment. Even cleaned the garage and look a light to the dark corners, looked everywhere, nothing.

I still don't understand how a rocker bolt could work its way past a pushrod to fall in the engine. It's way too big. The piece that broke off was probably 1" long and that bolt head is pretty big. ***....
Old 05-17-2014, 10:44 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look in each of the 5 head bolt holes underneath the rocker arm stand. You may have to pull all the rockers and remove the stand. The top part of the head is hollowed out around those 5 holes. You may need to fish around in them with a magnet or an inspection mirror.

Then get the correct rocker arm bolts (ahem )
Old 05-17-2014, 11:40 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Look in each of the 5 head bolt holes underneath the rocker arm stand. You may have to pull all the rockers and remove the stand. The top part of the head is hollowed out around those 5 holes. You may need to fish around in them with a magnet or an inspection mirror. Then get the correct rocker arm bolts (ahem )
Yeah thanks, but the rockers are off. I have the proper bolts, but the guy who did the job didn't use them. After the engine gets torn down, they will be used believe me.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:28 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you checked the actual valve cover? They have a baffle in which that bolt could be wedged in between. IIRC the heads have some oil return pasages that are somewhat big towards the sides. If it fell off when you removed the valve cover it is possible that is lodged somewhere in the frame. There are a lot of flat places or areas that could go in.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:48 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pitufina
Have you checked the actual valve cover? They have a baffle in which that bolt could be wedged in between. IIRC the heads have some oil return pasages that are somewhat big towards the sides. If it fell off when you removed the valve cover it is possible that is lodged somewhere in the frame. There are a lot of flat places or areas that could go in.
Yeah I did. I'm taking it to a shop and they're going to pull the head and intake. Hopefully it's sitting in the lifter tray.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Pitufina
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
Yeah I did. I'm taking it to a shop and they're going to pull the head and intake. Hopefully it's sitting in the lifter tray.
Hopefully that is the case. Best of luck!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:22 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Turns out the broken bolt was in the lifter tray. They pulled the manifold and it way laying there. Had to pull the head as my easy-out had snapped off in the stud. I also had him redo the cam cover as it was leaking oil bad, so the front of the engine had to come apart again.

She runs fine now.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2014, 11:06 AM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by petsur
Turns out the broken bolt was in the lifter tray. They pulled the manifold and it way laying there.
Glad you found it. Given everything else you eliminated, seems like that's where it had to be.

Quick Reply: LS3 Broken Rocker Stub