C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vibration issue

C5 owner here but have an issue that maybe someone can help me with in the C6 forum. 03 base vette M6 with 49Kmiles.

I have a pulsating (on/off) type vibration at any speed above 35 or 40 or so. It comes and goes with equal vibration on and vibration off time. It is not instant on, instant off, it gradually goes from no vibration to vibrating then gradually goes away, then repeats like clockwork. I don't feel it in my hand/steering wheel, it is more of a seat of the pants vibration. When I am driving down the road and turn the wheel to the right, the vibration goes away. When I turn the wheel to the left, it gets worse, it becomes a constant vibration. This leads me to believe that it is a wheel bearing on the right side but I have checked all 4 wheels (the 12/6 and the 3/9 position, yanking on the tire in opposite directions of each other) but the bearings feel fine, no movement. Also, the vibration is not violent, doesn't shake the car, etc. Any ideas of what this is or some things to check? Is there another (better) way to check the bearings? Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2014, 02:46 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Have you checked tire balance? It does not seem like a probable cause, but it could be a contributor. You can't feel everything through the
steering wheel.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
1Hotrodz
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree, its either a bent wheel, out of balance tire or a slipped belt in the tire itself. Unloading the wheel , as in turning left or right, will cause it to diminish or lessen. Also, a worn tie rod will do this too.

Last edited by 1Hotrodz; 06-10-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

They put new Firehawks on there when I bought the car in FEB 2014, are Firehawks any good? Also, I checked my tie rod ends( I think) and they feel solid and tight. Is there a more positive method to check them?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 PM
truckplay
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would have the wheels and tires checked. hope that is just a balance issue not a bent wheel, bad tire or wheel bearing, probably the RR.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
C5 owner here but have an issue that maybe someone can help me with in the C6 forum. 03 base vette M6 with 49Kmiles.

I have a pulsating (on/off) type vibration at any speed above 35 or 40 or so. It comes and goes with equal vibration on and vibration off time. It is not instant on, instant off, it gradually goes from no vibration to vibrating then gradually goes away, then repeats like clockwork. I don't feel it in my hand/steering wheel, it is more of a seat of the pants vibration. When I am driving down the road and turn the wheel to the right, the vibration goes away. When I turn the wheel to the left, it gets worse, it becomes a constant vibration. This leads me to believe that it is a wheel bearing on the right side but I have checked all 4 wheels (the 12/6 and the 3/9 position, yanking on the tire in opposite directions of each other) but the bearings feel fine, no movement. Also, the vibration is not violent, doesn't shake the car, etc. Any ideas of what this is or some things to check? Is there another (better) way to check the bearings? Any comments or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Had the same issue before. It's useless trying to yank the wheels, mine vibrated only at 35 and above and gradually got worse. A pulsating vibration like a cellphone in the steering wheel. 2 dealerships, said no it's not the wheel bearings, had a 3rd take it for a spin, noticed the symptoms went away when going one direction vs the other, it was the front wheel bearing. Both fronts were replaced under 5 year/100k warranty.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
2003RedVette
Racer

That is the direction I am going. I plan on replacing the fronts in the next couple of weeks and feel confident that the issue is with the front right. Thank you for commenting on this, it definitely sounds as if that is my problem too. We'll see. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:24 PM
2003RedVette
Racer

An update since my last post:

I ended up replacing the passenger side front wheel hub bearing this past weekend and my vibration issue is resolved!

Thanks guys!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:04 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Glad to hear of your success. I had pretty much the same issue a few years ago on my 06 where I felt vibration but not through the steering wheel. Passenger side front wheel bearing was the culprid.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I replaced both fronts on the wife's 77K mile '08 STS last week to resolve that problem. Less than an hour for each and $108 total cost.

Got the Vette's fronts done under warranty at 98K miles. Self diagnosed at 83K, but not convincing enough to 2 dealers for another 15K.

Seems to be a common problem starting around the 70-80K range.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:36 PM
MR_JLR
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RedVette
An update since my last post:

I ended up replacing the passenger side front wheel hub bearing this past weekend and my vibration issue is resolved!

Thanks guys!
I knew that's what it had to be, same exact symptoms I had. The push/pull on tire/rim method to check the wheel bearings doesn't work so well with these C6's. It's that cyclical hum/vibration and feeling like the steering wheel is a cellphone on vibrate in your hand that lets you know it's the front.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:09 AM
2003RedVette
Racer

That was the strange part, I didn't have a vibration in the steering wheel, or at least I didn't think I did, felt it more as if it vibrating the whole car. But now that is is changed, the steering wheel does have a smoother feel, figured it was road vibration, etc. now it's time for the left front, then the left back, and they'll all be done.

Get notified of new replies

To Vibration issue

Quick Reply: Vibration issue