C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 Corvette automatic won't turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 02:08 AM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Corvette automatic won't turn over?

Hi I'm a new member here,
I recently purchased a 2005 vette automatic and about two days ago it won't start, I'll push button and everything goes black then comes back on after a few seconds, I've read other forums and this same problem and have tried everything from switching battery, checking relays, new terminals, new cables, parking switch is good, new fob battery and still nothing. Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss
Thanks
Old 07-14-2014, 07:00 AM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

it's either the battery, battery cable end connectors, or the battery cable connection at the starter and/or bad starter.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:18 AM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
it's either the battery, battery cable end connectors, or the battery cable connection at the starter and/or bad starter.
I've checked starter and have new cables and connectors. Battery is brand new as well.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:28 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Even though the battery is new it still sounds like a battery problem. Did you charge the new battery before installing it? What is the voltage on the dic when you try to start it? Have you tried jump starting it?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

Battery was charged as well, and it checked out ok according to Orileys. Voltage reads between 12.3-11.4
Old 07-14-2014, 10:06 AM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

I'm wondering if I got the right kind of battery now? But when I power the starter direct it cranks over fine
Old 07-15-2014, 01:47 AM
JohnToner
Advanced

Originally Posted by Raulonavarr0
I'm wondering if I got the right kind of battery now? But when I power the starter direct it cranks over fine

Even though directly powering the starter will verify that the starter is good, you must check the integrity of the battery cable to solenoid and the solenoid to starter connections. They are notorious for loosening up ans causing the exact symptoms you are experiencing. Also vheck the horn fuse (or just blow the horn), check by substitution the relays for the starter and another related relay whose name I forgot.

I had the same problem last month with my 2005. It sat in the driveway for two weeks before I got the guts and energy to jack her up and check those solenoid connections. Make certain you learn the proper method for lifting the vehicle. Also, if you tighten the solenoid nuts take care not to overdo it. I thought I was tightening the nuts on an old "made in USA" solenoid and cracked the plastic insulator. It was most likely purchased from the lowest bidder in some third world country, who made it from the cheapest materials available. My theory is that GM is aware of this and intentionally tightens those to little more than snug, In time they work loose. Mine were finger tight (finger loose?)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

Finally figured it out, it was a bad contact leading to the ECU. The issue with my car is that I bought it after it was in an accident, no frame damage, just needed upper control arm, new rim, both fairings and bumper. Got the car running for $2300 but a connection must have gotten loose from the accident, now it's up and running great, not bad for $2400. Now just having an issue with the steering rack so I'm buying one soon.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

How did you find a loose connection/bad connection like that? Was there a wire dangling?
Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Raulonavarr0
7th Gear

No wire dangling just wiggled the whole connection and you can see the engine light flicker while you move connection. We basically checked and replaced every other possible thing according to the people here then worked our way to the ECU thinking it was bad but got lucky and found the loose connection

Get notified of new replies

To 05 Corvette automatic won't turn over?

Quick Reply: 05 Corvette automatic won't turn over?