C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SDPC
We are currently building a new website, some things are falling off the old one and we aren't adding anything newer, just shoot me a message via PM here or give me a call and I'll gladly price out anything you need.

The website change has been an unfortunately inconvenient process for both us and our customers I am, however, quite willing to help you out directly if you'll give me the chance!
If your group would run rwhp dyno before + after on a stock LS3..and if these headers give a legit 10 rwhp..you can have my business.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:26 PM
SDPC
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallacefl
If your group would run rwhp dyno before + after on a stock LS3..and if these headers give a legit 10 rwhp..you can have my business.
We don't have any plans to install a set just for testing, but if a local customer were to buy and install a set we could probably work out before/after dyno sessions
Old 06-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it's funny how long tube header guy in general is so persistent that shorty's don't add much HP. Sure a tuned help, but the proof is right there from a solid member. No need to get all mad because you (long tube header guy and their followers) paid well over a grand more for just maybe around 10 more HP and 10 FT/LBS not to mention the corvette sounds like a stock car.
I would love LT's, but I'm saving for the magnaflows. They sound better, quality is superior and you save $ because you can do it yourself.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 PM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

bump - curious to hear if others have tinkered with these and had good results! would like to hear from someone that installed them on their own, too.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:25 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally bit the bullet & ordered these from hottexhaust.com. I also purchased an Airaid intake and Diablo inTune (total cost came to $1,199.75 for everything - with free shipping). I tried a couple of member vendors here, but they could not beat that price.

After doing some research online, it seems that MagnaFlow has located the mounting bungs for the front O2 sensors about 2" farther away from what the stock harnesses will allow for, so I have ordered extension harnesses also (another $32.98 to add to the above total).

As soon as I get everything a buddy and I will be installing these & I will keep everyone posted on install issues/fit & finish, etc....

Last thing to buy will be a 'custom tune' from Diablewtune.com for $145.00.

$1,377.73 total out of pocket - I think a pretty good deal, considering you pretty much can't even buy a set of long tubes alone for that!
Old 07-31-2015, 05:01 PM
Jtaugner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1,377.73 total out of pocket - I think a pretty good deal, considering you pretty much can't even buy a set of long tubes alone for that!
Both Hinson and Texas Speed sell long tubes for ~$800.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
Both Hinson and Texas Speed sell long tubes for ~$800.
I actually just saw that today. I think I'm going to go that route in a month or two. Thanks
Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

I imagine for that price they are not ceramic coated, you can add a few hundred to that price to get them coated, still a good deal.

DJ
Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Jtaugner
Instructor

Originally Posted by djbrun
I imagine for that price they are not ceramic coated, you can add a few hundred to that price to get them coated, still a good deal.

DJ
https://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-86...xtensions.aspx

$829 Coated.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jtaugner
That's a damn good price

DJ
Old 08-01-2015, 09:55 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by 5knives
I can't imagine any inspection tech being able to tell you have Z06 manifolds on a base C6. They don't look aftermarket, they don't sound aftermarket, and they don't fit aftermarket. Basically because they are not aftermarket. They are GM tested, warrantied, and smog approved for the same car with a different engine option. They are proven, inexpensive, and readily available.

Now there ya go again, trying to inject reason into the conversation. Don't you know that these guys are just trying to spend $$$$$. I wish I had put my car on the dyno so I could post up real facts.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:56 AM
gaphono
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mmscott12
Finally bit the bullet & ordered these from hottexhaust.com. I also purchased an Airaid intake and Diablo inTune (total cost came to $1,199.75 for everything - with free shipping). I tried a couple of member vendors here, but they could not beat that price.

After doing some research online, it seems that MagnaFlow has located the mounting bungs for the front O2 sensors about 2" farther away from what the stock harnesses will allow for, so I have ordered extension harnesses also (another $32.98 to add to the above total).

As soon as I get everything a buddy and I will be installing these & I will keep everyone posted on install issues/fit & finish, etc....

Last thing to buy will be a 'custom tune' from Diablewtune.com for $145.00.

Have you completed your install?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 AM
Wallacefl
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gaphono
Have you completed your install?
Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wallacefl
Yep, install has been completed & I am very happy with them. A couple of small issues: a couple minor scratches and the mounting flanges seemed to be warped, but when installed, the scratches are not visible and the flanges flattened out when the header bolts were torqued down.

I did not dyno the car, as that is not what I was really looking for, so I can't let anyone know how much HP & TQ was gained (some for sure, but nothing scientific). They do SOUND better (again, wasn't looking for a fire breathing beast, but they do give a meaner growl), and I know she breathes a lot better now.

With the 'shorty' headers, an intake, new plugs/wires, insulating boots, and then the custom tune by Lew, she is running and sounding mighty fine!

Everything bolted up perfectly, but you will need to get a couple of O2 extension cables, and I definitely recommend soaking your existing exhaust bolts with penetrating oil prior to attempting the removal. The other item that may give a bit of a problem is the removal of the O2 sensors from the factory manifolds if you decide to reuse them - the sensors are wedged into the manifolds to the point that you can not get a standard wrench on them - I recommend a quick trip to the auto parts store for an O2 sensor wrench & again let some penetrating oil loosen them up prior to removal!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:15 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

mmscott12, can you post some photo's???
Old 10-08-2015, 09:05 AM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

I think I will buy some today since I have to go back to 2-1/2. I will get a dyno tune done to compare against a full Z06 exhaust. Both Hinson and Texas no longer carry these, it looks like Hooker has some now but the Carb OE is pending.

DJ

Last edited by djbrun; 10-08-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:02 PM
mmscott12
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dano523
mmscott12, can you post some photo's???
I will see if I can get some pics taken this weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow Shorty Headers

Old 10-08-2015, 04:36 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

I thought these were Carb O.E. certified, I was wrong. Magnaflow said they have no carb o.e. for the LS3 and will not.

So, I guess I will not be buying them.

DJ
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM
ForeV
6th Gear

Originally Posted by wuzfuzz
Canadian 2011 GS with Vararam, FAST LSXr 102, MSD, inTune and just added Magnaflow Shorties.......
Very simple install and connection to stock cats. Nothing but positive.....

I paid $844.75 Canadian dollars with FREE shipping. I got them here.....
www.hottexhaust.com

Shipping to Canada and U.S. in either U.S. or Canadian dollars with FREE shipping.
Any issues with emission testing?
Old 09-06-2016, 01:22 PM
wuzfuzz
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Shorty MagnaFlow.....

Originally Posted by ForeV
Any issues with emission testing?
No emission testing here........

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Shorty Headers