C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC Backlighting

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:03 PM
msmith56
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Backlighting

I am hoping someone here will be able to help me with this issue. I did search the site and the internet for my problem but I can't seem to find the answer. My question is about the HVAC bulbs. Is the HVAC able to be disassembled for bulb replacement or is it glued together? Has anyone here replaced these bulbs and if so where would I purchase them? I have several buttons (not all) that appear to have the backlight bulb blown. I really don't want to purchase the whole HVAC just to get the backlighting back again. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I don't know the answer but I suspect they are soldered in place. If you can get it apart and can solder you could probably do it. I found a thread HERE about changing the pod switch bulbs. It's possible the one's in the AC unit are the same. If you get it apart and can see the bulbs you should be able to compare them to the one's in that thread and if the same at least you have a part number for Radio Shack to get replacements.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:12 PM
msmith56
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by EVRose
I don't know the answer but I suspect they are soldered in place. If you can get it apart and can solder you could probably do it. I found a thread HERE about changing the pod switch bulbs. It's possible the one's in the AC unit are the same. If you get it apart and can see the bulbs you should be able to compare them to the one's in that thread and if the same at least you have a part number for Radio Shack to get replacements.
EVRose, Thanks for the information. I did remove the HVAC from the console and it is very easy to access the bulbs. They appear blue in color and they are soldered fast to the board. The don't appear to be the same bulbs you pointed out here but I do appreciate the link. I don't know how I would go about finding out what bulbs I would need for replacement. I replaced the center console bezel and I should have done more research before doing so. The power outlet under the center console lid was especially a pain. After I got it disconnected I then had to get the outlet off of the old console, major fail, again if I had done some more research I would have been successful at removal. I wound up breaking the plastic retainers so I'm going to have to find another one.

It has been one of the most frustrating consoles I have ever tackled. My HVAC works fine, I just don't have any backlighting on the buttons. The display itself is fine. I did see a offer on eBay where they will send you a refurbished unit for $200 and when you return your unit you get $25 back but I'm not so sure this issue (although it does drive me crazy) is worth it. I'm definitely not buy a new one for over $350 though. Hopefully someone will see this posting that has "been there and done that"
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM
msmith56
Heel & Toe

Here is a close up of one of the bulbs. Anyone know where to obtain them?

Is it possible that all of the bulbs are blown? That would be a bit odd wouldn't it? I did check them for continuity and from post to post of each of the bulbs there appears to be none. I also looked very closely at the solder joints on the board and I don't see any that appear broken or questionable.

Last edited by msmith56; 08-08-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Added to what I have done
Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 PM
EVRose
Race Director

That looks to me like a blue cover over the bulb to change the color. Is it? See if it pops off. Maybe its just a standard clear bulb underneath.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:21 PM
msmith56
Heel & Toe

Default Thank You!

Originally Posted by EVRose
That looks to me like a blue cover over the bulb to change the color. Is it? See if it pops off. Maybe its just a standard clear bulb underneath.

EVRose, Thank you so much for your help on this! They are in fact blue covers. I initially did not think that they were removable but they are. They are a little difficult to remove (I did tear one while trying to remove it). Despite my thinking that all the bulbs couldn't possibly be bad, I decided to move forward with my quest. I unsoldered and removed all 7 of the bulbs. Radio Shack has a bulb that worked out perfect for me. It's item 272-1154 and my local store had them in stock.

I soldered in the new bulbs and tested. All of the buttons are now lit and look great (with the exception of the cap that I tore the cap off of)

Here is a synopsis for anyone else who may find this information helpful:

1) The HVAC is held into the console by 2 screws/ bolts.
2) There are 3 plugs in the back of the HVAC. The 2 blue ones were easy to remove, the white one was more difficult. I had to use a flat tip screwdriver to lift the tab on the top and then remove the plug.
3) There are 4 screws / bolts in the back of the HVAC that need to be removed to access the bulbs.
4) Once these are out, Gently push on the ***** to push the circuit board out of the enclosure.
5) There is a white rubber gasket on the top of the bulbs. It is secured by rubber nubs that go through the circuit board. Gently pull up on the gasket to pull it away from the circuit board.
6) Unsolder the 7 bulbs or the bulb(s) that are/is not lit.
7) Solder in the new bulb(s)
8) Put the rubber gasket back over the bulbs. The rubber nubs do not go back in easily however I used a very small allen wrench and inserted it into the small hole above the nub and they all went in easily.
10) Put the face of the HVAC on a soft surface and make sure that the fan control plastic pieces are in and seated behind the fan control button. The control won't work with them.
11) Set the back of the HVAC onto the face carefully, It should fit easily and there are some guides that will position it correctly.
12) Put the 4 screws / bolts back in and tighten.
13) Install in the car, turn on the lights and see if you were successful.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Thats cool you got it fixed for cheap! Weird how all of them were burned out though.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC Backlighting

Quick Reply: HVAC Backlighting