C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Direction....

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 07:03 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Which Direction....

I have 4 new rotors to install on my car. Nice, pretty Slotted and drilled. Left, righ,t front, and rear. Unfortunately, the parts supplier figured I was smarter than I am...so...

Which direction should the slots go?

Logic tells me the slots should always face into the direction of rotation...at the top...that way the slots can pick up the cool air flowing towards the brakes from the air duct.

Someone else said, no, the slots should face *away* from the air flow to help blow the pad dust away from the rotor...sounds right, but, to me, not logical.

What say you tech brains out there?

Many thanks.....

MC
Old 08-31-2014, 07:16 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Of course it depends on who's talking but it generally doesn't matter. Brembo probably says the leading edge must contact the pad first.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:19 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saplumr
Of course it depends on who's talking but it generally doesn't matter. Brembo probably says the leading edge must contact the pad first.
OK...that is opposite of what I thought, but I can see the reasoning for that....

Anyone else?!!

MC
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't think it's a big deal either way on a street car but.....I think if you have the kind where the slots go all the way to the outside edge of the rotors, you want the rotational force to move (throw) pad material, water and gas "out", not in.

Here's an example to show what I mean:

http://brakeperformance.com/installa...structions.php
Old 08-31-2014, 07:45 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I don't think it's a big deal either way on a street car but.....I think if you have the kind where the slots go all the way to the outside edge of the rotors, you want the rotational force to move (throw) pad material, water and gas "out", not in.

Here's an example to show what I mean:

http://brakeperformance.com/installa...structions.php
That's a perfect example of who says what. This from Brembo.

http://www.racetechnologies.com/imag...all_Manual.pdf
Old 08-31-2014, 08:05 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by saplumr
That's a perfect example of who says what. This from Brembo.
I think the discs like the Brembos are a specific design to work that particular way. I don't have the experience to know whether "all" discs with slots are that purposefully designed and one would have to make sure of the correct rotation.

So, Charlie, what brand discs did you get?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 PM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RicK T
I think the discs like the Brembos are a specific design to work that particular way. I don't have the experience to know whether "all" discs with slots are that purposefully designed and one would have to make sure of the correct rotation.

So, Charlie, what brand discs did you get?
Rotors online..but they are going back..idjut sent rotors for 1997-2004 C5 / Z06.

I'll get my money back and go with the Brake Performance rotors..like them better..the slots go all the way to the edge of the rotor, while these are just cut into the face of the disk.

BTW...Thanks for all the great info.....Interesting to note...I worked as a line mechanic all my life..and on performance cars as well (Porsche's and Audi's) and I am now acquiring lots of new knowledge about cars.....Never too late to learn!

MC
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

slots should "throw" the dust outward.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:47 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. GM uses the same rotors on the right and left side on the Z51, GS and Z06, so that tells me it doesn't matter becasue 50% are installed in the wrong direction, by design.

Here is how Baer says to install them.

Right Front.

Last edited by timd38; 09-02-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:25 AM
MCharlie
Ham Radio - W7RKN
Support Corvetteforum!

I am leaning towards what Brake Performance sys...the type of cooling 'vanes' inside the rotor should be the deciding factor on how the rotors are installed.

Rotors Online shipped me the wrong rotors..I ordered for C6..even on the confirmation email it says C6 but they sent me C5/Z06 rotors......whasa matter..their parts picker doesn't read English?!! Needless to say, I am upset. I have a call into them, going to cancel the order and re-order from Brake Performance..like the way their slots are cut better

In case I forget down the road...Thanks to everyone for the great information offered up on rotor direction! Nedxt discussion I will stat will be about opinions on which tire brand to buy to replace my GY RF's....Leaning toward Michelin's but..that's another thread.

MC
Old 09-02-2014, 02:50 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by MCharlie
I am leaning towards what Brake Performance sys...the type of cooling 'vanes' inside the rotor should be the deciding factor on how the rotors are installed.

MC
Correct, it's the internal vanes that are the key. The rotor should be positioned such that, when spinning , the air will be pulled out from the hub to the outside edge of the rotor...not forced inward towards the hub. The holes/slots/ etc on the rotor face are not the important factor.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Direction....

Quick Reply: Which Direction....