C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will no TPMS cause - Service ABS, Service Active Handling, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 09:31 AM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Will no TPMS cause - Service ABS, Service Active Handling, etc?

I just swapped the rear spindles on my car and reused the same hubs and sensors. I also installed some 15" weld drag wheels that couldn't accept my existing TPMS. So currently I'm running with the same hubs with the sensor plugged in, but no TPMS.

Ever since the swap I'm getting the warning lights for Service Active Handling, Service ABS, Service Tire Monitor, etc.

Are ALL of the service lights normal for having no TPMS in the rear? Or should I only be seeing the tpms service error?

Just curious if something got messed up with the hubs/sesors/connectors during the swap that's triggering all of the errors, or if it's all from the lack of TPMS.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm thinking that all the warnings are caused by the new tire diameter not being close enough to the old tires. The computer wants to see a certain ratio of front tires to rear...if not, it thinks the rear tires are spinning or sliding on the road and it activates all those warnings. The lack of TPMS will also cause issues but not immediately as in your case.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:57 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Good point... it threw the errors right away though. I've had the warnings triggered by tire size before and they usually appear after rolling a certain distance. I get these errors as soon as they key goes on.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:08 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Interesting. The tires would have to spin at least a little to get the AH involved...but I still think that the TPMS would take longer also. Easy way to test is to put the two sensors near the car in the garage and let the car pick them up. See if the system shows 0psi in the rears, or if the tires are still on them...a good pressure reading. They do not need to be on the car to be picked up and displayed...only nearby. Many people have put on different wheels and tires and thought the new sensors "self programmed" because the old wheels were piled up in the corner of the garage and were still being picked up by the car.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

Yea, the test tonight will be to sync the 20" rear wheels back to the car and see if it starts up w/o the errors
Old 11-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The missing tire sensors will only cause Service TPMS messages. If you are getting all 3 ABS feature service messages you have some sort of a failure that is common to ABS, TC and AH. Wheel speed sensor, or something like that. Hard to tell if your tire size is causing any issues since you don't mention the tire diameter. The stock diameters are 25.6 and 26.7 front and rear. As long as the rear diameter is within a 1 to 1 relationship to a 1.08 to 1 relationship with the front wheels you shouldn't be getting any service messages but you would might get TC active and Engine Drag control active.

Bill
Old 11-10-2014, 05:56 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

I was running a 28" tall M&H drag radial, now I'm running a 28" tall Mickey Thompson. My front tires are larger to compensate and I very rarely had issues with the M&H tires (engine drag control active).

This has been on since the moment I started the car after removing and reinstalling the hubs, so I must have done something there I guess? I'm going to check the connections again (they have been securely connected) and then disconnect the battery. I don't have any codes to clear out.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:50 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

My last track day I forgot to reset the TPMS (Hoosiers on stock rims)
As soon as I started on the track AH kicked in. Couldn't tell about TC but
AH was quite apparrent as it was applying the brakes to the wheels. Felt like ABS was running even though I wasnt on the brake.
No messages displayed for TPMS AH or TC. Car was not in competition mode.(couldn't select it) That should have been the first clue.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:47 PM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I've swapped tires around many times without programming the sensors right away and never got anything except a tpms warning and even that takes awhile to pop up.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:44 PM
tankengine
Water Well Doctor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I just got my ZO6 rotor replaced

I had all three messages pop up coming home from Tallahassee just after purchasing the car with 1400 miles on it. I took it to Chevrolet, they kept it 5 days and finally determined it was the sensor in the left front hub. New hub/I've driven it 100 miles so far with no further messages.

tankengine
Old 11-12-2014, 04:50 PM
turbotuner20v
Safety Car

well damn... looks like somehow during the spindle swap I must have messed up one of the sensors? Not sure how that could have happened, but it seems like the only answer.

Get notified of new replies

To Will no TPMS cause - Service ABS, Service Active Handling, etc?

Quick Reply: Will no TPMS cause - Service ABS, Service Active Handling, etc?