C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brake Pads are an A+

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 06:40 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default New Brake Pads are an A+

I have a 2013 Grand Sport. It now has just hit 20k miles & I changed out the stock brake pads. I just couldn't take it anymore. The stock brake pads threw a horrendous amount of brake dust all over the wheels & they squeaked really bad if they didn't get warmed up w/a few hard stops. I did a lot of shopping around & research & ended up trying out some Brake Performance Premium Semi-Metallic pads (padlets) (http://brakeperformance.com/brake-pa...rake-pads-.php). I also changed out the brake fluid w/Amsoil Series 600 DOT 4 brake fluid. The result after bedding in the new pads...I am VERY impressed. They seem to stop better & better the hotter they get. The brake dust is cut down more than 50% and they are DEAD silent. I highly recommend the BP Premium Semi-Metallic pads. At just bug hair over $100, they seem to be a great deal compared w/some I was looking at for $200-$300.

There is still some brake dust on the calipers from the old pads. I remember w/the old brake pads, the cross-drilled holes were always caked full of brake dust. That's not the case w/these new pads.

The following 2 users liked this post by dmoneychris:
IrishSpuds (02-23-2016), Kent1999 (06-28-2016)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:13 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

$70,000 car and you go cheap real cheap on the brake pads and then you tell others to do the same, IMHO should have spent the $ on HAWK

Last edited by CMY SIX; 03-06-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:15 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

no dust? like to see what your rotors look like in 5000 miles, something has to wear
Old 03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
$70,000 car and you go cheap real cheap on the brake pads and then you tell others to do the same, IMHO should have spent the $ on HAWK
For your information, I'm not telling anyone to 'do the same' I'm just throwing it out there that these brake pads have less dust, are quieter & stop better than the stock pads. (First impressions) It's not like these brake pads are some Chinese made headers that I slapped onto my car & I'm swearing that they will transform your car into a space ship or something like that. They are high quality American made brake pads...You don't have to spend 300 bucks on Brake Pads...

Last edited by dmoneychris; 03-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2k Cobra (04-28-2017)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:42 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you can make another thread and tell people to buy Hawk pads because they spend $70k on their cars. OP I appreciate the info and I'm happy to see they are working out well so far
dmoneychris (04-16-2016)
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

So it has the name HAWK on it and you think its worth $500 for a set a pads? You get suckered and you tell others to do the same.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

100$ for a full set of Z pads is pretty cheap.

i think am gonna try them out ( running Hawk HPS currently )
dmoneychris (03-01-2017)
Old 03-06-2015, 10:18 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the comments guys.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

... and I like your choice of brake fluid!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

dmoneychris (04-16-2016)
Old 03-07-2015, 12:13 PM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
For your information, I'm not telling anyone to 'do the same' I'm just throwing it out there that these brake pads have less dust, are quieter & stop better than the stock pads. (First impressions) It's not like these brake pads are some Chinese made headers that I stuck on & I'm swearing that they will transform your car into a space ship or something like that. They are high quality American made brake pads...You don't have to spend 300 bucks on Brake Pads...

I'm glad to see posts like this. Thank you for the info. It is good to know your options and how different products work for people especially when they are less expensive people get nervous about their performance. I think it is great to hear that $100 dollar pads are working for you. Everyone has different needs and wants and to each his own. I have a friend with a Z06 who is looking to change pads for less dust and noise and doesn't want to spend a ton of money. I sent this info to him.
Thank you for the report!
More people should post info like this.
I appreciate it!
Old 03-07-2015, 01:11 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2012CyberGreyGS
I'm glad to see posts like this. Thank you for the info. It is good to know your options and how different products work for people especially when they are less expensive people get nervous about their performance. I think it is great to hear that $100 dollar pads are working for you. Everyone has different needs and wants and to each his own. I have a friend with a Z06 who is looking to change pads for less dust and noise and doesn't want to spend a ton of money. I sent this info to him.
Thank you for the report!
More people should post info like this.
I appreciate it!
Thanks for your comment. It's great to read that some people appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
TX-Techman
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your comment. It's great to read that some people appreciate it.
I appreciate your post, I am close to needing pads for my 2008 and want something with less dust and quite. Mine has cross drilled rotors and I will need to have them turned as well. I have heard some shops do not want to turn drilled rotors but hope to find one that will.

I do not track my car so just looking for a good pad for normal driving so plan to give these a shot.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:44 AM
TEECEE
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks. I just ordered them. Can't hurt for the price. I'm going by what people recommend. Not price. If they don't work out for me, then i'll try again!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I have always used Raybestos Quiet Stops and they seemed to do a good job for me. I really don't know if they still make them or not.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TEECEE
Thanks. I just ordered them. Can't hurt for the price. I'm going by what people recommend. Not price. If they don't work out for me, then i'll try again!
That's good to hear. I hope these brake pads work out for you like they are working out for me. They are still dead silent & very minimal brake dust. I've gone from wiping my wheels down about every time I drive the car to once or twice a week. Now I'm mostly just wiping off road dust that's not even from the brakes. Good deal if you ask me. The brakes are still doing great from what I can tell.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I guess I better keep it on the "down low" that I used AutoZone Duralast Gold Ceramic padlets eh, else I be banned from this forum
BTW they have accomplished everything i intended to
NSF
Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I guess I better keep it on the "down low" that I used AutoZone Duralast Gold Ceramic padlets eh, else I be banned from this forum
BTW they have accomplished everything i intended to
NSF
Same pads here. We can start our own dumb *** forum. Car stops as well as stock and brake dust is way less.

Get notified of new replies

To New Brake Pads are an A+

Old 05-29-2015, 10:55 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

For your information, I'm not telling anyone to 'do the same' I'm just throwing it out there that these brake pads have less dust, are quieter & stop better than the stock pads. (First impressions) It's not like these brake pads are some Chinese made headers that I slapped onto my car & I'm swearing that they will transform your car into a space ship or something like that. They are high quality American made brake pads...You don't have to spend 300 bucks on Brake Pads...

So where were they made?
Old 05-29-2015, 12:12 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

I long believed that semi-metallic brake pads were on the aggressive side and created dust. Have I been misled for years?
Old 05-29-2015, 01:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ That's supposed to be the case, or at least what I thought I knew up until this thread. But maybe things have changed. Something has got to give in order to reduce the amount of visible "dust"--I'm just not sure what it is. Maybe it's an added ingredient such as "ceramics," while still maintaining enough semi-metallic to be called that.

While I'm glad to read of this $100 alternative, it comes a little too late for me since I switched to street Porterfields about 5 yrs. ago. And, yes, they are far pricier but at the time I was told they work very well on the street w. no fade, and reduce dusting a lot. And they do both with the dusting way below half (if I had to guess, I'd say somewhere around 80% less than Z51 OE semi-metallic pads). About 35K+ miles later, they're still going strong.

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads are an A+