C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported throttle body and intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 11:19 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Default Ported throttle body and intake

Can someone tell me what that means and how it helps engine performance? Anyone have pics of a ported throttle body and intake. I’d appreciate the info.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A ported throttle body can basically mean one of two things, someone takes a normal stock one and opens the bore (the part after the butterfly) from a 74mm to a 81mm opening, this few mm in size difference allows more air to flow thru.

Or some companies/shops build a completely new throttle body from scratch and is bigger from end to end. Meaning some intakes may not fit those throttle bodies because their made for the stock throttle body, or a little of custom work may have to be made.

Either way the same principle is achieved, allows more air to be sucked into the engine to make more power and have better throttle response. It's usually a modification you do after you have a tune and intake.

Hope this helps
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Well at least I’m not the only that doesn’t know what what its all about, now I don’t feel so mechanically inept.

Thanks aFe POWER at least one person has some idea, I’m grateful.

I had headers/CAI/cam installed and they say they were to port the throttle body and intake. I have an LS7 427 vette.

Last edited by garye; 03-06-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:46 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by garye
Well at least I’m not the only that doesn’t know what what its all about, now I don’t feel so mechanically inept.

Thanks aFe POWER at least one person has some idea, I’m grateful.

I had headers/CAI/cam installed and they say they were to port the throttle body and intake. I have an LS7 427 vette.
Your welcome , a ported matched throttle body and intake manifold will give you max gains on top of the best airflow efficiency. I have some guys who port their throttle bodies and not their manifolds. Sometimes if you do one and not the other it can hurt power because those few mm can interrupt airflow, and cause the car to lose power in many cases. Sounds like your being taken care of very well, enjoy the new mods!
Old 03-07-2015, 10:55 PM
martysauto
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by aFe POWER
A ported throttle body can basically mean one of two things, someone takes a normal stock one and opens the bore (the part after the butterfly) from a 74mm to a 81mm opening, this few mm in size difference allows more air to flow thru.

Or some companies/shops build a completely new throttle body from scratch and is bigger from end to end. Meaning some intakes may not fit those throttle bodies because their made for the stock throttle body, or a little of custom work may have to be made.

Either way the same principle is achieved, allows more air to be sucked into the engine to make more power and have better throttle response. It's usually a modification you do after you have a tune and intake.

Hope this helps
Are you saying a stock 90mm tb is reduced all the way down to 74 mm behind the throttle plate?
Old 03-08-2015, 04:36 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Ported TB and exhaust was one of the first mods that I was going to do to my base C6. I'm all for maximizing BPU mods before going big.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...e/viewall.html

"The C6 shocked all in attendance by laying down 377.83 rwhp/366.97 rwtq. Yes, you read it right: Simply bolting on the $150 throttle body provided nearly the same results as the more expensive intake and tune."
Old 03-09-2015, 12:18 PM
0aFe POWER
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by martysauto
Are you saying a stock 90mm tb is reduced all the way down to 74 mm behind the throttle plate?
Yes, odd huh? I know of a shop that does non GM ported TB's because of the low demand of this particular vehicle, that no one made a ported match intake manifold to go with it. Odd but true.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:28 PM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Ported TB and exhaust was one of the first mods that I was going to do to my base C6. I'm all for maximizing BPU mods before going big.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...e/viewall.html

"The C6 shocked all in attendance by laying down 377.83 rwhp/366.97 rwtq. Yes, you read it right: Simply bolting on the $150 throttle body provided nearly the same results as the more expensive intake and tune."
Surprising, but kind of sucks when you mix the CAI and Vmax it gained 1 whole HP. Sounds like you either do one or the other.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JAvery20
Surprising, but kind of sucks when you mix the CAI and Vmax it gained 1 whole HP. Sounds like you either do one or the other.
I was told we LS3 owners have the Z intake anyway, so why upgrade? Being a new owner I don't know if that is true, but I don't plan on going with a CAI as it involves cutting up the stock housing. Besides, the ported TB seems like the better bang for the buck.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:23 AM
JAvery20
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by guido1205us
I was told we LS3 owners have the Z intake anyway, so why upgrade? Being a new owner I don't know if that is true, but I don't plan on going with a CAI as it involves cutting up the stock housing. Besides, the ported TB seems like the better bang for the buck.
I would recommend getting a Vararam CAI. I actually have the quickest CAI+tune only car on the fast list. I went 11.9x@120 consistently with Vararam+tune on street tires. One run I magically lost a mph but 5 of 6 runs had 120+ trap speeds.

My C5 trapped very well for the mods and I also ran a vararam on that. If you are after performance and not just dyno #'s, give the Vararam a shot. A tune does wonders as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Ported throttle body and intake

Quick Reply: Ported throttle body and intake