C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready to Install Headers, any tips would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 03:02 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I used oil drain plugs, 4 dollats each... But if I had to do it over again I would use spark plug non foulers and never have had to pay to get the car tunedhttps://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ot-needed.html
Old 04-05-2015, 10:31 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well the pass side O2 sensor just won't budge. Tried a torch, 3 different O2 sensor sockets, open end wrench and an adjustable wrench to no avail. Just purchased a brand new on online and have to wait until Tuesday to finish up. Muffler are in as well as the tailpipe and x-pipe. Still need to make adjustments so the muffler tips will line up straight and make sure nothing is rubbing on anything. Drivers side header is done as well as new plugs and wires.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:33 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Sounds like the car is really making you work for it. Don't worry it will be worth it!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:59 PM
black.z51.c6
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Craftsman flare wrenches are your friend, only way i got them out. Also had to dremel off heat shields, to get better access. The sockets spread too much under heavy torque
Old 04-05-2015, 11:32 PM
Suprfly
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chokeu
I went to my local VIP auto parts store and bought 2 bung plugs to cover them up, bastards charged me $20 for the pair.
wowzers i think mine were like $3 a piece... sorry!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM
Chokeu
Pro

Yeah, I removed all the screws from the heat shields to get to the O2 sensor and tried everything under the sun to get them out. I know I'm not the only one who's been thru this. I have one on the way, will be here tomorrow. I did however, get the pass side header into place so when the oxygen sensor does get here, I can just screw it in and mount the header. You don't have to remove the starter t o get it in, just some fancy finagling and wiggling but it went in (30 min later lol). Every good thing in life comes with some sacrifice right, hahahaha. Can't wait to get this done!

On a lighter note, I have an appointment next Monday to get my new harmonic balancer (Trick Flow Specialties) installed and pinned to the crank. It's going to need to be done when the S/C goes in anyways and why wait until the thing breaks. I keep reading thread after thread about wobbley balancers coming apart. Mine is just starting to do that now.

Last edited by Chokeu; 04-07-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I had to break mine loose using a boxed end wrench and rubber mallet...........LG!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Vito.A
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Spray some PB Blaster on the O2 sensor threads and use a 6-point box wrench slipped down over the wires. It will come out.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Chokeu
Pro

Got everything in place, just waiting for the oxygen sensor to arrive then I can test everything out. Hopefully it won't be hitting any part of the frame, etc. At the moment it's not but it's up in the air so I won't be able to tell until I take it off the jack stands and drive it. PCM just got sent out for tuning, waiting for that to return as well. Only thing I don't like it the two part x-pipe. It does give more flexiblity for adjustments but it's a major pain in the azz. Some WD-40 made them move a lot easier. Now the muffler tips are straight, just the waiting game now....

Quick Reply: Ready to Install Headers, any tips would be helpful.