C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily diver Tire advice for 700whp

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,230 Likes on 713 Posts

How often do you go from a dig on the street, and how often against similar powered cars on the street? You have an A6, so with some practice you'll be able to roll into the throttle and still launch hard. You just will not be able to mat it in first gear.

Maybe separate rims for weekends and track use?
Old 04-06-2015, 12:54 PM
killakane1427
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I go from dig some and iam more then 700 but with a manual. Iam got try out the nitto 05r. We will see how they do
Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by killakane1427
I go from dig some and iam more then 700 but with a manual. Iam got try out the nitto 05r. We will see how they do
Test the waters for me. It's gonna be about 3-4 weeks before I am able to buy a set. Im starting to lean back toward the et streets again tho. I want to hook up. I'm a good driver but you never know what might happen at that power level when they break loose unexpectedly or just at a bad time.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:03 AM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I use mt dr's in a 17" at the track and my street wheels get mich. Pilot super sports. Love em!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:47 PM
clearwaterms
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by mysloride
Nitto is making a NT05R 345-30-19 drag radial. I am running them on my 2011 GS with 487 RWHP 448 RWTQ and they hold pretty well. I have made 4- 1/4 mile passes, babying it out of the hole and doing 1.8 to 1.9 sixtys.
are you babying it out of the hole because the drag radials are not hooking up or because you are afraid you will break something? I ask because it appears to me that 1.8 is kinda slow for that much power with such a big sticky tire, i would think with that much tire you would be able to get down into the 1.7's pretty easily.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:04 PM
mysloride
Racer

Originally Posted by clearwaterms
are you babying it out of the hole because the drag radials are not hooking up or because you are afraid you will break something? I ask because it appears to me that 1.8 is kinda slow for that much power with such a big sticky tire, i would think with that much tire you would be able to get down into the 1.7's pretty easily.
I am babying it because I don't want to tear things up. It will do 1.5 or 1.6 60's if I want to hammer it. I save the "Hammer Starts" for $$$ races or if I am racing someone that I really want to beat. For "me" the extra 2-3 tenths that I gain by hammering it are not worth tearing things up.

I held a Top Fuel license in my earlier life, at this stage of my life there is not a big wow factor difference between a high 11 sec pass and a mid 11 sec pass.

I am having fun, not really consumed by the #'s
Old 04-09-2015, 05:10 PM
js1977
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though this is in the C6 section, there's some good advice and I could use some as my C7 is about to be pushing 600+ after I add meth to my setup. Im currently at 575/575 ish, and the OEM tires are good for now, but I certainly need more grip.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
How often do you go from a dig on the street, and how often against similar powered cars on the street? You have an A6, so with some practice you'll be able to roll into the throttle and still launch hard. You just will not be able to mat it in first gear.

Maybe separate rims for weekends and track use?
Man honestly I almost never go from a dig. It's usually always a pop a u at a certain light, one take the left lane one take the right and go from a first gear 10-20 punch. Very nice stretch of wide smooth road. No pedestrians, and no traffic. Maybe I will just find a happy middle for street duty and get a drag pack for the rear. I would like to get a nice looking time slip to show off. so I'm still waiting on someone to chime in on the r888 performance and lifespan compared to the et street and NT05R (which I hear have nearly the same lifespan).
Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Wildgoose
Advanced

I have also recently been told that even a 305 will rub on a stock 19" rim on a base/z51. Someone please tell me this guy is full of s***. Rep from mickey thompson told me it's possible to run a 325 on a rim with the perfect offset. Can't remember if he said this was on a 19" rim though. And he said he doesn't remember what offset. I know I don't have the money to do a widebody kit right now though.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Blown'09
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wildgoose
Man honestly I almost never go from a dig. It's usually always a pop a u at a certain light, one take the left lane one take the right and go from a first gear 10-20 punch. Very nice stretch of wide smooth road. No pedestrians, and no traffic. Maybe I will just find a happy middle for street duty and get a drag pack for the rear. I would like to get a nice looking time slip to show off. so I'm still waiting on someone to chime in on the r888 performance and lifespan compared to the et street and NT05R (which I hear have nearly the same lifespan).
I bought r888's late last year due to how scary my run flats were after I supercharged my '09 (672 rwhp). I am running 305/30ZR-19 out back, and 265/35ZR-18 up front on factory size offsets, 19" back, 18" front. They fit fine on my rims and there is no rubbing at all. My car also has the Z51 package.

I have yet to race the car, but do some spirited driving from time to time with traction control off, so the car doesn't pull timing and close the throttle body. These tires hold the power much better than the run flats, and they handle very well too. However, if I don't pedal it in 1st gear, it will hit the rev limiter. 2nd gear hooks about 50%, but 3rd holds all the power. With the run flats, I would spin through 3rd and a little in 4th.

I just measured the tread depth, and after 2k miles, the rears are 5/32", and the fronts are 5.9/32". My state's annual inspection requires 2/32" minimum tread, so I estimate my rear tires will last a total of 5k miles and the fronts about 6k to pass inspection.

I have owned several high horsepower, street driven supercharged cars. I prefer a radial tire over a bias ply for the street. With that said, my favorite street tire to go straight is the MT Drag Radial. I may buy a set of these this summer, but the thing that holds me back is the r888's corner so well even though I am sacrificing some straight line hook. Since MT's, Nitto's, and the Proxes have nearly the same tread compound, I would assume they would all wear at a similar rate, depending on how you personally drive the car.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I have also recently been told that even a 305 will rub on a stock 19" rim on a base/z51. Someone please tell me this guy is full of s***. Rep from mickey thompson told me it's possible to run a 325 on a rim with the perfect offset. Can't remember if he said this was on a 19" rim though. And he said he doesn't remember what offset. I know I don't have the money to do a widebody kit right now though.
I know they aren't oem 19s but I have 305 x 18 nitto drags on tsw Nurburgrings and there is no rubbing but they do stick out maybe between 1/8 to a 1/4 inch from the wheel well.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by Blown'09
I bought r888's late last year due to how scary my run flats were after I supercharged my '09 (672 rwhp). I am running 305/30ZR-19 out back, and 265/35ZR-18 up front on factory size offsets, 19" back, 18" front. They fit fine on my rims and there is no rubbing at all. My car also has the Z51 package.

I have yet to race the car, but do some spirited driving from time to time with traction control off, so the car doesn't pull timing and close the throttle body. These tires hold the power much better than the run flats, and they handle very well too. However, if I don't pedal it in 1st gear, it will hit the rev limiter. 2nd gear hooks about 50%, but 3rd holds all the power. With the run flats, I would spin through 3rd and a little in 4th.

I just measured the tread depth, and after 2k miles, the rears are 5/32", and the fronts are 5.9/32". My state's annual inspection requires 2/32" minimum tread, so I estimate my rear tires will last a total of 5k miles and the fronts about 6k to pass inspection.

I have owned several high horsepower, street driven supercharged cars. I prefer a radial tire over a bias ply for the street. With that said, my favorite street tire to go straight is the MT Drag Radial. I may buy a set of these this summer, but the thing that holds me back is the r888's corner so well even though I am sacrificing some straight line hook. Since MT's, Nitto's, and the Proxes have nearly the same tread compound, I would assume they would all wear at a similar rate, depending on how you personally drive the car.

Good luck!
Man I appreciate the reply. It's very nice to hear from someone running the r888's north of 650whp. Honestly I was hoping to hear of a better life expectancy and strait line traction performance from them. It is what it is though. I was fully expecting to hear that they corner very well. At 5k miles I might have to pass on them unfortunately. I would literally be buying a new set about every two months. I need to buy a different car for a daily driver and go weekend warrior with the vette but I refuse to do so.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:35 PM
Blown'09
Intermediate

Man I appreciate the reply. It's very nice to hear from someone running the r888's north of 650whp. Honestly I was hoping to hear of a better life expectancy and strait line traction performance from them. It is what it is though. I was fully expecting to hear that they corner very well. At 5k miles I might have to pass on them unfortunately. I would literally be buying a new set about every two months. I need to buy a different car for a daily driver and go weekend warrior with the vette but I refuse to do so.
The problem with soft compound competition tires, is that they don't have much tread to begin with. Proxes come with a 6.4/32" tread depth, and NT05R's have 6.3/32". My rears are down to 5/32" after 2k miles. Since my Vette is never driven in the rain, I will try to use all the tread before I replace them. But still, 5-7k is not a whole lot of miles. Unfortunately, the old cliche applies...you have to pay to play. I have some friends who run "normal" tires most of the time, and swap out sticky tires for track days and weekends. To me though, a tire that doesn't hook is more dangerous than one that does. I am just thankful that my Vette is not my daily driver.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Have fun, and keep it straight!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:45 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Default Grip...

I had to make the same decision and went with the NTO5R, Hoosiers have better grip but don't last as long.

Neither will allow any driving in the rain and if you do, don't go faster than 30mph and certainly no wet highway.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

LG world challenge rims (11" width) with 325/19 nitto invos. These aren't tires that belong in this discussion, but it illustrates that 325s can be run with the correct rim on a stock body z51.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

LG world challenge rims (11" width) with 325/19 nitto invos. These aren't tires that belong in this discussion, but it illustrates that 325s can be run with the correct rim on a stock body z51.
Two problems here. 1, as nice as they are and as much as I would love to have them the world challenge wheels cost about what the widebody conversation would cost lol. It does give me something to work with though as far as just finding out what offset they have and searching for something more affordable. 2, the nitto's are known to run significantly more narrow than other tire brands. Do you think other brand 325's would clear? P.S. The atomic vette looks damn good. I appreciate the response.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:34 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Two problems here. 1, as nice as they are and as much as I would love to have them the world challenge wheels cost about what the widebody conversation would cost lol. It does give me something to work with though as far as just finding out what offset they have and searching for something more affordable. 2, the nitto's are known to run significantly more narrow than other tire brands. Do you think other brand 325's would clear? P.S. The atomic vette looks damn good. I appreciate the response.
You're correct. The nittos are narrower than some other brands and given the rim width, it was factor in my choice. Other brands that were wider typically recommended another 1/2" of rim width. I think other 325s would clear as I've seen others post that they are running different brands on the rear with these rims. My nittos are getting close to the end, and I may go down to 305s depending upon the tire I choose. I'm not sure much is really gained by squishing a 1/2" wider tire on a rim ideally suited to a slightly smaller tire.

The rims weren't expensive when I got them compared to most aftermarket brands. By the time the cost of a body panel, painting, and R&R is included, I don't see a wide body being cheaper. Plus, new wheels are still needed, although deals can been found on used GS/Z06 rims.

Get notified of new replies

To Daily diver Tire advice for 700whp

Old 04-20-2015, 02:42 PM
grocerygetter
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

I know my Michelin PSS 295s are wider than the Nitto NT05 305s I had.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 PM
killakane1427
Instructor

the 05rs are waiting for me at the shop soon as my car is ready we will see how it goes
Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Wildgoose
Advanced

Originally Posted by killakane1427
the 05rs are waiting for me at the shop soon as my car is ready we will see how it goes
Get em on there. I'm ready to see what you think about them on the street.

Quick Reply: Daily diver Tire advice for 700whp