C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding the Dry Sump LS3

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Modding the Dry Sump LS3

I have a 2013 MN6 Grand Sport w/NPP mufflers.
In about a Month a set of coated ARH 1 7/8" Long tubes & the full 3" catted X-pipe that I bought will be arriving at my house. I bought the full 3" X-pipe because I also bought Akrapovic Zo6 Slip-On mufflers. While I'm at it, I'm thinking about getting a MSD Atomic AirForce Intake 2703 or FAST 103. I just don't know which Intake has had the best results. Any feed back will be much appreciated.
Side note, if anyone is in the market for the NPP mufflers, OEM cats & mid-pipe or exhaust manifolds, I will be selling them.

Last edited by dmoneychris; 04-05-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:57 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,020 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Go high speed track road coarse the car, and you will figure out real quick where the car needs to be mod'd.

I'll give you a hit, and it has nothing to do with the motor.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

There are threads on here stating the LS3 intake is pretty darn good and a Fast isn't worth it.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by petsur
There are threads on here stating the LS3 intake is pretty darn good and a Fast isn't worth it.
Thanks. That's about what I was hearing. I had been thinking that the tune, Headers, CAI & exhaust. Should be about where I want it at for the time being. I was just wondering, like you said, "isn't worth it". Maybe FI is in this car's future...I haven't taken it to a track. It's just a street car & my daily driver. So probably no cams in it's future. I guess I will play it by ear. Thanks for the reply on the intake.
-Patrick
Old 04-05-2015, 08:37 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 148 Posts

If you're thinking FI, go straight for the blower. Don't waste money on CAI or intake.

Have you thought about painting/wrapping your halo black? I think it would look great with the glass top.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
If you're thinking FI, go straight for the blower. Don't waste money on CAI or intake.

Have you thought about painting/wrapping your halo black? I think it would look great with the glass top.
What's painting the halo black mean? Sorry, but I have never heard of that term before...
Old 04-05-2015, 10:24 AM
Dano523
Race Director

The halo is the strip between the roof, and the back hatch window.

Her is a C6 with a black halo,
Old 04-05-2015, 11:18 AM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

^Thanks Dano! A picture is worth a thousand words!!!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:04 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the feedback guys. I like the idea of FI maybe in the future. Forced Induction would be a possibility in my mind only after all supporting mods are already performed. Can anyone on here chime in on this transmission mount set- ( http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...dt&brandID=142 )? Or other supporting mods drivetrain related? I am really trying to build it up to be really stout but w/durability as a main focus.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:15 PM
JetstreamGS
Drifting

You don't need that. Drivetrain is plenty stout. Do the exhaust as planned and save for the blower. Add a cam at the same time and you're golden.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:17 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JetstreamGS
You don't need that. Drivetrain is plenty stout. Do the exhaust as planned and save for the blower. Add a cam at the same time and you're golden.
Thanks, that's a good plan
Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
Can anyone on here chime in on this transmission mount set- ( http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...dt&brandID=142 )?
Maybe for a track car, but not for a street car.

If the time comes that you need to change the trans and motor mounts, go with these instead.
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-135...-corvette.aspx

They will hold everything rock solid, but have enough dampening to them that you not going to feel ever rotation on the torque/crank shaft instead.

P.S, no joy installing them since the cradle have to be dropped down, while the engine/trans and diff is supported up to change both out.

Last edited by Dano523; 04-05-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:38 PM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
Maybe for a track car, but not for a street car.

If the time comes that you need to change the trans and motor mounts, go with these instead.
http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/p-135...-corvette.aspx

They will hold everything rock solid, but have enough dampening to them that you not going to feel ever rotation on the torque/crank shaft instead.

P.S, no joy installing them since the cradle have to be dropped down, while the engine/trans and diff is supported up to change both out.

You guys are GREAT!!! It's so awesome for me to get on CF & get some instant feed back on about any Corvette related topic. You guys are much faster answering questions than UPS is delivering the stuff I bought. I will post pictures of the Coated Headers & Akrapovic exhaust as soon as they arrive. Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-31-2015, 02:48 AM
JOSEPH_KUWAIT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i want to buy a GS.
Do you recommend it ?
Is it slower thatn the base c6
Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JOSEPH_KUWAIT
Hi i want to buy a GS.
Do you recommend it ?
Is it slower thatn the base c6
I really like my GS. It has all the good parts of a Zo6 minus the LS7 engine. My Manual GS has the dry sump LS3 so that's a plus. In my opinion, it is only slightly slower than the base in stock from due to being slightly heavier. It will hold up better than the base if you plan on modding it some. If I could do it all over again, I would still get a manual GS over a base C6.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:33 AM
JOSEPH_KUWAIT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
I really like my GS. It has all the good parts of a Zo6 minus the LS7 engine. My Manual GS has the dry sump LS3 so that's a plus. In my opinion, it is only slightly slower than the base in stock from due to being slightly heavier. It will hold up better than the base if you plan on modding it some. If I could do it all over again, I would still get a manual GS over a base C6.
Yeaa. I like the z06 but the ls7 has some issues. And yes with the GS first i will be on bolt ons and maybe after a year put a supercharge on it. Its 100lbs heavier that's not much i think.
One last question. Does the GS come with a unique manual or the same as the base. Because i read the dry sump takes 10.5 quarts of oil and other things are different than the base
Thnx
Old 08-31-2015, 08:44 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I was going to chime in here but you've already received the advice I was going to give.

I put together a thread of all my mods with dyno sheets and track results that you might find interesting to see how the mods fit together if you decide to go heads/cam, and you should do them in order. You're off to exactly the right start if you're considering a blower.

Good luck, enjoy the car, and post often!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html
Old 08-31-2015, 11:42 AM
dmoneychris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JOSEPH_KUWAIT
Yeaa. I like the z06 but the ls7 has some issues. And yes with the GS first i will be on bolt ons and maybe after a year put a supercharge on it. Its 100lbs heavier that's not much i think.
One last question. Does the GS come with a unique manual or the same as the base. Because i read the dry sump takes 10.5 quarts of oil and other things are different than the base
Thnx

In the GSregistry site it says something about specific gear ratios of the manual trans GS & tells some of the other features that are unique to the 2010 & up C6 Grand Sport=(http://www.grandsportregistry.com/2010_GS_info.htm)

This shows some of the Dry Sump engine oiling features=(
)

Get notified of new replies

To Modding the Dry Sump LS3

Quick Reply: Modding the Dry Sump LS3