C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building heads. What components?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:13 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Building heads. What components?

First off, let me say that I have tried to dig up chatter on this subject with little to no resulting info, so hopefully anything discussed here will be helpful to anyone else looking for the same in the future.
I've never had an interest in piecing together heads before, so I am at a bit of a loss.

I currently have a C6 Grand Sport LS3 6spd Coupe w/Dry Sump that I plan on tasking with light to moderate track duty in the near future, but am looking to try to make the valve train as bulletproof as possible. My goals may be slightly lofty, but I would like 505hp naturally aspirated at the rear wheels (gotta keep up with those Z06s, right?) with a stock bottom end. I/TB/IM/H/XP/E should be a good start, and I would like to add a set of the Trick Flow 255 heads into the mix to help with the inhaling and to match the exhaling of the motor. A cam and tune will hopefully be installed at the same time as the heads to complete the package.

Now, I have been trying to piece together what components would work best on an NA application, but all I have come up with is "lighter is better!" everywhere I look. From what I gather, Ti valves would be helpful, the rockers (and trunions?) would need to be upgraded as well as springs (dual springs? what lb. strength?), retainers, and push-rods. Any help, direction, or insight would be greatly appreciated here.

If my goals are too lofty, please, let me know.

Last edited by R_W; 09-21-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:19 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by R_W
First off, let me say that I have tried to dig up chatter on this subject with little to no resulting info, so hopefully anything discussed here will be helpful to anyone else looking for the same in the future.
I've never had an interest in piecing together heads before, so I am at a bit of a loss.

I currently have a C6 Grand Sport LS3 6spd Coupe w/Dry Sump that I plan on tasking with light to moderate track duty in the near future, but am looking to try to make the valve train as bulletproof as possible. My goals may be slightly lofty, but I would like 505hp naturally aspirated at the rear wheels (gotta keep up with those Z06s, right?) with a stock bottom end. I/TB/IM/H/XP/E should be a good start, and I would like to add a set of the Trick Flow 255 heads into the mix to help with the inhaling and to match the exhaling of the motor. A cam and tune will hopefully be installed at the same time as the heads to complete the package.

Now, I have been trying to piece together what components would work best on an NA application, but all I have come up with is "lighter is better!" everywhere I look. From what I gather, Ti valves would be helpful, the rockers (and trunions?) would need to be upgraded as well as springs (dual springs? what lb. strength?), retainers, and push-rods. Any help, direction, or insight would be greatly appreciated here.

If my goals are too lofty, please, let me know.
If you want trickflow heads, why not ask them what they recommend for your goal/needs. There is a point where you start spending money to get the absolute best on paper but won't give you much return in comparison from a cost/performance aspect. Plus they'd sell you the heads fully assembled ready to go. Light is key if you plan on really revving that engine, but you'd need a better rotating assembly to pull off crazy revs so some of the components may be overkill.

Another great person to ask is the guy you plan on getting to tune your car. He should have an idea of what works and what he thinks is possible. no one see's dyno numbers quite as much as a tuner so that's the guy you talk to first, then get him to help you find a package that he knows works and knows the potential outcome.

Nothing is more crucial to choosing the "right" things that work together. Your tuner should be able to help you choose the right combo.

Last edited by rpmextra; 09-21-2015 at 11:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
R_W (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 07:10 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Building heads. What components?

Give Brian Tooley at BTR a call. He will steer you right.
R_W (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:59 AM
0Josh@SpartanLSX
Former Vendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

255's are a massive overkill for a stock shortblock IMO, and not really necessary. You can make 500rwhp (or very close to it) with the stock square port castings as long as their done correctly and the cam choice is on point.

When you say track duty are you referring to drag strip or road course racing?
R_W (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:47 AM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by rpmextra
If you want trickflow heads, why not ask them what they recommend for your goal/needs. There is a point where you start spending money to get the absolute best on paper but won't give you much return in comparison from a cost/performance aspect. Plus they'd sell you the heads fully assembled ready to go. Light is key if you plan on really revving that engine, but you'd need a better rotating assembly to pull off crazy revs so some of the components may be overkill.

Another great person to ask is the guy you plan on getting to tune your car. He should have an idea of what works and what he thinks is possible. no one see's dyno numbers quite as much as a tuner so that's the guy you talk to first, then get him to help you find a package that he knows works and knows the potential outcome.

Nothing is more crucial to choosing the "right" things that work together. Your tuner should be able to help you choose the right combo.
That's a good point. I would think TFS would know a thing or two about their own products. I'll give them a call.

Originally Posted by realcanuk
Give Brian Tooley at BTR a call. He will steer you right.
BTR is another good resource to call. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX
255's are a massive overkill for a stock shortblock IMO, and not really necessary. You can make 500rwhp (or very close to it) with the stock square port castings as long as their done correctly and the cam choice is on point.

I'm really using the 255s as a possible stepping stone to gain as much as I can before the cam so that I don't have to live with the most extreme cam possible and kill drivability on a daily basis (I'd prefer to not dedicate this car strictly to track duty if possible). Also, should I start tinkering with that bottom end (a la stroker kit or other displacement changer), it will be ready to slap in and go much further down the line.

"Track Duty" for me means road courses. All due respect to drag racers, but it is just not for me.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:20 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

so... you googled building heads and came up with nothing? is your computer plugged in?
Old 09-22-2015, 10:27 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh@SpartanLSX

I nearly did that on my 383LT1 build years back. had just picked the biggest everything thinking it would make me the most hp. Luckily for me, I spent some time on the phone with AFR and they set me straight. Those big heads i wanted would have killed my power and were only suited if I ran some boost or crazy rpm....

Get notified of new replies

To Building heads. What components?

Quick Reply: Building heads. What components?