C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airaid CAD intake reviews please

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 09:10 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Airaid CAD intake reviews please

Looking at possibly installing an Airaid Cold Air Dam intake on my '06 base LS2. I'm looking for reviews good or bad, pros and cons. Is the "cold air dam" just a gimmick or does it really keep the hot air seperated from the filter? I have the stock intake now so is it worth the $290 to go with an aftermarket intake? I do plan on getting a tune next year and would like to optimize the air intake before the tune. I had a Vararam on my 2010 Camaro SS and it performed well. I worry about water injestion with the Snake Charmer though! No track, strictly street. There's plenty of threads about cai's but I'm looking specifically for opinions on the Airaid. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:47 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Your stock air filter system already outflows the motor now!!!!
So all your going to end up with the new system is just more sucking noise of the filter itself.

If you are getting a heat soak problem while sitting still, then the bottom of the OEM filter shroud can be propped open to allow more colder fresh air to reach the filter when you are standing still instead.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:02 AM
ssmike56
Pro

Didn't know the stocker flows so well! Interesting! As far as heat soak goes, I really haven't experienced it because it's not a daily driver and when I'm out driving I'm mostly moving. Not much stop and go traffic. I just want to make sure I'm getting the biggest bang for the buck when I take it in for a dyno tune, mostly for the A6 shift points.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,196 Posts

The glitch in the LS-2 is the intake manifold itself.

On the C5 LS6 motor, the intake was produced by lost mold forming, which produced good runners. On the Ls-2 intake, it's separate pieces molded design that the pieces are sonic welded together at the end instead.
Note, the LS-3 intake flows very well, so it was just the LS-2 intake that got this with the problem as they were perfection the sonic welding on the intake manifolds.

So in the Ls-2 intake manifold runners, then are a lot of ridges and edges that in end, causes air flow distortion for about 10hp lose at the redline.

So either the intake can be replaced if you are planning on mod'g the motor past what the stock intake runners will be able to flow ported, or just have the OEM intake runners ported instead.

As for the next step on the stock motor, that is headers. If you need to sneak the car through a smog inspection, then you can install the z06 exhaust system on the car. The z06 oem exhaust system use shorty header, which helps to scavenge more exhaust out of the motor.

So the z06 exhaust system will add about 15hp over the stock exhaust casted exhaust manifolds, while long tube header with high flow cats will yield in the 25/30hp range instead with the tune.

As for money wise, less than $375 to have the intake manifold ported once you remove it, and an OBX or Z06 exhaust system will run you less than $1k in parts.

What headers really do, hence exhaust scavenging to aid in pulling more exhaust gases from the each cylinder,

So to break it down, your going too pick up around 15rwhp with the tune itself, but better yet since the TM is going to be de-hobled that is holding back instant HP to the wheels/ground, and the trans tuned to tighten up the shifts, night and day difference in the drivers seat.

If you had the intake manifold ported, then about another 10rwhp with the tune, and if you go headers, then the above numbers on top of these with the tune as well.

As for diving into the motor to cam and the likes, hate to say it, but if you are looking for major power gains, and a motor that is street drive-able as well (not bucking/surging at low rpms), then go super charger from the start. With a supercharger and meth kit for safety, your at the 600hp mark from the start, and the stock motor has no problem with this amount of boost/power (drive line is a whole different story through).
Old 09-25-2015, 12:34 PM
ssmike56
Pro

Good info Dano! I had a Camaro SS with the LS3 modded up pretty good, LT's, Vararam, high flow cats, cat back, and tune. I wasn't aware of the LS 2 intake manifold flow issue so I'm learning every day! So, I guess until I replace or port the IM it makes no sense to replace the filter assembly as it flows good enough in stock form now. My main complaint is with the A6 shifting which I know a tune would help tremendously! I'll probably just do the tune for now and then do IM, CAI, LT's, and re-tune later as money allows!
Old 09-25-2015, 01:28 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I had one and thought the quality, fit and finish were poor. Replaced it after a month with a Halltech. I converted from an LS2 MAF to an LS3/7, so I had to change systems is why I bought it to begin with.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 AM
BSlide
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airaid on LS3

Installed this past weekend. It's good quality. The filter is twice the size of the stock filter, and the airflow is larger and less restrictive. Nice difference with throttle response and performance above 4,000 rpm's. I paid 300 dollars for the system. I would definately recommend if you're looking for a good quality, inexpensive bolt-on system. No tune is needed.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

I guess it depends on who you talk to. When I purchased my '06 A6 last August, I did some research and questions on this forum. The feedback I received was that the stock LS2 air box did not flow well at all. I purchased the Airaid oiled version. I had one on my LS3 2011 Camaro and '06 Nissan Frontier. No issues with either of them (6 years with the Camaro and 11 years on the truck). The Airaid on the LS2 looks good and sounds good. No tune required. Never dynoed it. Good luck.

Oh, here is the post / thread from my question last year. Note the input I got.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-a-2006-a.html

Last edited by Trebor; 07-01-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you want to make some good power with an LS2 .... Replace the LS2 heads and intake manifold with a set of LS3 heads and intake manifold.

BTW ... You can not install an LS3 intake manifold on a set of LS2 heads ... completely different port design.

There are usually a pretty good supply of used LS3 heads and intake manifolds, so not much of a problem there ... and they are usually priced right.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:00 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,178 Posts

DONt waste your money. I installed one and at best its 5 hp and highly doubt it.

i was at 50k miles on the stock filter and thought to myself what the hell.

hindsights 20/20...save your money...
Old 07-03-2019, 12:42 AM
919cw313
Le Mans Master

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,408 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerriVette
DONt waste your money. I installed one and at best its 5 hp and highly doubt it.

i was at 50k miles on the stock filter and thought to myself what the hell.

hindsights 20/20...save your money...
Probably doesn't matter at this point, considering he sold the car 2 years ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Airaid CAD intake reviews please

Quick Reply: Airaid CAD intake reviews please