C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porting Stock Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:10 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porting Stock Throttle Body

hey guys i wanted to port my stock throttle body but was wondering if it could be done without removing it from the intake manifold, or simply put doing it while it is still attached to the car?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:22 PM
emoFTW
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Not a good idea. Shaving could get inside the motor and engine will go bye bye!

Its fairly simple to remove the TB. I recommend sending it to someone that knows what they are doing.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMTazzi
hey guys i wanted to port my stock throttle body but was wondering if it could be done without removing it from the intake manifold, or simply put doing it while it is still attached to the car?
You can't possibly be serious
The following users liked this post:
A-A-Ron (12-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

It's 4 bolts and 1 wire that unclips to remove it.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:51 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

ooo only 4 bolts, i just wanted to keep it simple but i thought there was more involved. also inwas thinking of sending to lingenfelter or cnc if i dont do it myslef. anyone here have experiance with either?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:22 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I wouldn't bother personally. The gains aren't very impressive and the tuning issues it can create make it not worth it to me.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:27 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

ooo only 4 bolts, i just wanted to keep it simple but i thought there was more involved. also inwas thinking of sending to lingenfelter or cnc if i dont do it myslef. anyone here have experiance with either?

MEANing no offence, but if you can't figure out how to get it off. You think you can port it ????? Best get off your wallet and pay for someone to do it.
otherwise you might pay twice once for parts and then for someone to do it.

luck either way........ Hk
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

You can get a V-Max for around $150.00.Not much hp gain, but throttle response is awesome.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 PM
tennblkc6
Melting Slicks

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
You can get a V-Max for around $150.00.Not much hp gain, but throttle response is awesome.
^ this....and keep your stocker. also, you may want to do a search as porting a tb incorrectly could cost you dearly.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:00 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Please don't take this personally, but if you had to ask the question, maybe you should not be doing it.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tennblkc6
^ this....and keep your stocker. also, you may want to do a search as porting a tb incorrectly could cost you dearly.
And it will cost more for the tools to do it then it would to get a V-Max...
Old 11-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The throttle body is very sensitive to air flow, a well known porter told me he had a stack of junk ones he ruined trying to make it work.

And the gains are non existent. Don't waste your time or money.

What was your purpose for doing it? More power or snappier throttle response?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 PM
TheMTazzi
Instructor

well joe g just for a little throttle response and a small gain. i have a diablosport intune with a varam and a custom exhuast i made myself and installed both with no issues so far, so i was just trying to keep it simple and do some diy stuff for a lil more power. i plan on logging with my tuner soon but with what i have and what i am willing to pay or do, i am trying to get a little more out of it before i spend the money on the data logged tune. i dont have bills for headers/cams and or a new intake manifold so i wanted to keep it simple.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:06 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

well joe g just for a little throttle response and a small gain. i have a diablosport intune with a varam and a custom exhuast i made myself and installed both with no issues so far, so i was just trying to keep it simple and do some diy stuff for a lil more power. i plan on logging with my tuner soon but with what i have and what i am willing to pay or do, i am trying to get a little more out of it before i spend the money on the data logged tune. i dont have bills for headers/cams and or a new intake manifold so i wanted to keep it simple.
I'm a DIY guy myself and respect that! But I sure wouldn't advise you to mess with that throttle body. I have one seeking better throttle response and was sorely disappointed, it didn't do anything.

If you want substantially better throttle response and aren't swimming in benjamins, get a $99 Cow booster from Chuck Cow. Money back guarantee and he's never had to refund anyone. Look into it and look for responses of those who have it, not those who don't and hate Chuck Cow for his flamboyant ads.

Here are my two write ups on mods and the Cow booster if you're interested in what I've learned in 15 years of modding ls engines.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-buck-mod.html
Old 11-19-2015, 01:00 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

There was a guy a few years back, claimed that he junked quite a few throttle bodies before he got it right and people were flocked to buy his "porting" service. I checked out his work, I was not impressed. That "porter" had not been active for quite a few years.

On my '05, I did my own port/polish. There were two fairly large cast in boss approximately at the 4 and 8 o'clock position, clearly not something can help air flow. I removed them along with smoothing out all casting high spot and finished with a mirror polish. My throttle response is very smooth and precise.

Anyone wants to tackle this simple procedure, it is easier to perform, if TB is out of the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Porting Stock Throttle Body

Quick Reply: Porting Stock Throttle Body