C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What oil pump to run on the Ls7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:17 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default What oil pump to run on the Ls7?

What oil pump is everyone running on the dry sump Ls7 motors?
I'm changing the pistons and keeping the stock crank and rods. Should I just run a stock pump? I'm not road racing or drag racing, all the time. Mostly a street car. current pump only has 17,000 miles on it.

Who is the best place to get all the gaskets from? ARP bolts and odds and ends.

Last edited by GeneSch; 12-07-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Not aware that any LS7 applications were wet sump, the LS7 is a dry sump (although not a true dry sump like you'd see in some race applications.)

Anyways, for stock rebuilds and non-racing applications, the stock pump is usually best. Often what you see (particularly with wet sumps) is someone throws in a high volume oil pump that is designed for a high capacity oil pan and empties the stock pan too quickly.

There are a number of forum vendors that can get you squared away on all the gaskets and bolts you need. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2015, 09:34 PM
GeneSch
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry, typo. Dry sump Ls7. I know the pump is not the same.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,314 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Stock
The following users liked this post:
GeneSch (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 06:22 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

If the bearing clearances are going to be stock, or close to stock, a stock LS7 pump is fine. If they are going to be larger, some have gone to an LS9, to maintain desired oil pressure. Ka tech just had their upgraded pumps on sale over Thanksgiving weekend, for 25% off.

As for gaskets and bolts...a number of vendors or the usual mail order catalog type places as well. Before buying anything, I'd check with the shop that is going to build the short block...Some aren't keen on "bringing your own parts". Also, keep in mind, that if you run ARP rod bolts and main studs, that you will have to have the rods resized, and the mains line honed. They WILL go out of round with the higher strength fasteners.

Get notified of new replies

To What oil pump to run on the Ls7?

Quick Reply: What oil pump to run on the Ls7?