C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I eliminate tire pressure sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
GNon18s
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Can I eliminate tire pressure sensors?

Im coming from a C5Z that never came with Tire pressure sensors. Now Im about to pick up my first C6Z that was beeping at us on the test drive because the tires were low. Hated that! Plus, I plan on ordering new wheels as soon as next week. Can I eliminate this pressure sensor crap?! Can they tune it out the way they do with O2 sensors and headers??
Old 01-07-2016, 07:10 PM
GNon18s
Instructor

I tried a search but came up with 3 pages of people selling new/used sensors. Not what I was looking for. Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

LG has a kit that will allow you to eliminate the sensors.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:55 PM
GNon18s
Instructor

Originally Posted by timd38
LG has a kit that will allow you to eliminate the sensors.
Thanks, that's something like I had in mind. Didn't think it should $400 though. Are there other options by chance?
Old 01-07-2016, 08:31 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by GNon18s
Thanks, that's something like I had in mind. Didn't think it should $400 though. Are there other options by chance?
Get a 4" piece of PCV, two end caps, drill four holes, install the sensors before the end caps, and fill them to 35PSI and stick it in the car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tire...NV_ADT2fIAM%3A

Last edited by timd38; 01-07-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:46 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Get a 4" piece of PCV, two end caps, drill four holes, install the sensors before the end caps, and fill them to 35PSI and stick it in the car.
This could work, but I heard that the sensors kind of go to sleep when not in motion to conserve battery power. Would it trigger a TPMS error? I wonder how true that rumor is though, I certainly don't know.

Last edited by extrapilot; 01-07-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:01 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by extrapilot
This could work, but I heard that the sensors kind of go to sleep when not in motion to conserve battery power. Would it trigger a TPMS error? I wonder how true that rumor is though, I certainly don't know.
No clue, people on the Forum claims it works.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:08 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

No clue, people on the Forum claims it works.
My bad, I've should of check you link, as I guess it works.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:35 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by extrapilot
My bad, I've should of check you link, as I guess it works.
Cheap enough to try!
Old 01-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I would think (especially with a Z) that you would want a warning of low tire pressure. The only reason most folks don't use them is when racing, and the rim physically won't allow for the TPMS to be installed.

It's your car though.....
Old 01-08-2016, 10:33 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 250 Posts

A pressurized canister can work but there is a caveat. The following link has some good info.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-racing.html
Old 01-08-2016, 10:45 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Im coming from a C5Z that never came with Tire pressure sensors. Now Im about to pick up my first C6Z that was beeping at us on the test drive because the tires were low. Hated that! Plus, I plan on ordering new wheels as soon as next week. Can I eliminate this pressure sensor crap?! Can they tune it out the way they do with O2 sensors and headers??
Nothing like creating a problem where none exists.

Keep the tires above 25psi and you won't have the issue.

You'll spend more effort and have more frustration trying to get around a totally unobtrusive and actually helpful system than what you'll gain. Who the hell wants a PVC container rolling around in the back of the car or stuffed in a cubby? Not to mention that unless you can make it leak proof, it will slowly leak air and then.....wait for it.....set off a TPMS warning. So now rather than checking the air pressure of 4 tires on occasion, you also need to check the canister

The sensors are tiny, simple to install on new wheels, and relatively inexpensive. Buy 4 for the new wheels and be done with it. Most of us that use our cars for track days leave the sensors in and also have them installed in our track wheels. Only a few who are trying to shave the last couple of ounces of weight don't install them in their track wheels.

You can't program them out like the aft O2 sensors.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:52 AM
BIGMAC
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 136 Posts

It seems the module that controls TPMS is "locked" and cannot be changed by tuners. I have seen the following product:

https://www.lgmotorsports.com/lg-mot...liminator.html

The same block is apparently true for the module that controls the Traction Control and Active Handling systems. I would like to run a tall rear drag radial but understand it will screw up these systems and can't be tuned out.

I guess the GM engineers want to protect us from ourselves.

BIGMAC
Old 01-08-2016, 12:55 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I have my rear sensors in a canister because I run drag radials full time and run them at ~18#. Works like a charm.

The TPMS is part of the BCM so it's not visible from a tuner's perspective. You may be able to convince a dealer or someone with a Tech2 to disable or edit the warning pressures. Not sure.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
The TPMS is part of the BCM so it's not visible from a tuner's perspective. You may be able to convince a dealer or someone with a Tech2 to disable or edit the warning pressures. Not sure.
We tried that, so either you can't do it or my guy wasn't smart enough.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:17 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I think that was a C5 thing, to be able to turn them off. Because the Zoh's didn't have sensors it was possible.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

A few years ago, I drove about 7-8K miles without sensors and up to ~130 MPH. You don't even get a DIC message until about 20 miles and then you only need to hit one of the dash buttons to change the display. Every time you shut the car off, the system resets.

On my next set of tires, I'll buy new sensors, since the OEM's will be approaching 10 years and over 130K miles. I don't use runflats, but other than the extremely unlikely flat tire, I like to know how the ambient temperature is affecting the pressure during winter vs summer.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I eliminate tire pressure sensors?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 AM
dicky
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I got the homemade pvc canister and it works great. I pressured it up and stuck it under the passenger seat about 5 years ago and never messed with it again. Now that the car is 10 years old the sensor batteries are going out, so for the past year I been getting a dic message but 1 still shows 28 psi. I did the mod because One time I put the rear drag wheels on but left the fronts with sensors on and it threw my car into a limp mode. After the little mod it never happened again.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:53 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by dicky
I got the homemade pvc canister and it works great. I pressured it up and stuck it under the passenger seat about 5 years ago and never messed with it again. Now that the car is 10 years old the sensor batteries are going out, so for the past year I been getting a dic message but 1 still shows 28 psi. I did the mod because One time I put the rear drag wheels on but left the fronts with sensors on and it threw my car into a limp mode. After the little mod it never happened again.
You might as well take the canister out, since it no longer is trying to fool the system.
I suspect you went into limp mode because the drag tires were shorter than OEM and the size differential was outside the parameters set for active handling, not the TPMS.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Sawbonez
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two friends an I enjoy frequent road "racing" driver's ed events. We each have C6 GS and have each had instances of loss of communication between the TPMS sensors and the ECU causing the car to go into limp mode. This is with brand new OEM TPMS sensors. More importantly, this happened to me last November at VIR just before a high speed left hand turn. during the turn, car went into limp mode, activated stability control causing the right side brakes to activate to correct what the ECU algorithm determined was an impending spin, and prevented me from turning left. this caused my car to leave the track. So, our decision to bypass the TPMS system with the "track box" which LG sells is not an attempt to save a few ounces of weight, but for safety reasons. We each run our cars in competition mode on the track.

Last edited by Sawbonez; 01-09-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Can I eliminate tire pressure sensors?