C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c compressor replacement

The a/c compressor pulley on my C6 is squeaking like a banshee (ok, maybe I don't know what a banshee squeak is like, but this thing is sure loud!). I don't really want to mess with dropping the front crossmember, and am wondering if anyone has had experience with removing one from the top. It looks like I would have to remove the belt tensioners and the water pump in order to get it out. Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2016, 08:42 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Motion
The a/c compressor pulley on my C6 is squeaking like a banshee (ok, maybe I don't know what a banshee squeak is like, but this thing is sure loud!). I don't really want to mess with dropping the front crossmember, and am wondering if anyone has had experience with removing one from the top. It looks like I would have to remove the belt tensioners and the water pump in order to get it out. Thoughts?

I'm about to do the same compressor swap....(I have a centrifugal blower) and I was told it can be removed through the front w/o dropping the cradle....but is VERY tight
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Yes, and this was one of the reasons that after developing a lifter problem and the A/C crapped out , at 175,000 miles , I replaced then engine. It all happened at about the same time.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:16 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I've pulled it out towards the front with cradle in place. It's a bastard, very tight fit.. but it will come. Took some jerking if memory serves.

Posted pics in C U's thread a day or two ago if you want to see them.

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-31-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:45 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I've pulled it out towards the front with cradle in place. It's a bastard, very tight fit.. but it will come. Took some jerking if memory serves.

Posted pics in C U's thread a day or two ago if you want to see them.
I didn't see any pic's. ..
Old 02-01-2016, 08:37 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Sorry about that.. I tried to post them from my phone, I guess they didn't go through.

Here's the two I can find.. it's tight!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

Default a/c removal

Thanks for the pics! In one of them, it looks like you removed the pulley. If so, was it difficult to do so? Looks like it's held on with a c clip.

Sorry about that.. I tried to post them from my phone, I guess they didn't go through.

Here's the two I can find.. it's tight!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:37 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I had to replace the clutch on mine, so that was why I removed it.. you don't have to remove it to get the compressor off thankfully

It was a royal pain to get off.. It's just a snap ring or two that hold it together but they are really tough to get to. With the correct snap ring pliers that are angled perfectly it probably wouldn't be so bad.. but I wasn't that lucky
Old 02-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

The squeaking noise on mine occurs even with the a/c turned off. Do you think that my problem is actually a bearing in the clutch and not the compressor itself? Sure would be simpler to invest in a snap ring pliers and just replace the pulley/clutch! Thanks for your help on this!

I had to replace the clutch on mine, so that was why I removed it.. you don't have to remove it to get the compressor off thankfully

It was a royal pain to get off.. It's just a snap ring or two that hold it together but they are really tough to get to. With the correct snap ring pliers that are angled perfectly it probably wouldn't be so bad.. but I wasn't that lucky
Old 02-01-2016, 02:21 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Are you sure it isn't just the bearing in the tensioner pulley?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:23 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

The squeaking noise on mine occurs even with the a/c turned off. Do you think that my problem is actually a bearing in the clutch and not the compressor itself? Sure would be simpler to invest in a snap ring pliers and just replace the pulley/clutch! Thanks for your help on this!
I am in a similar situation. ...mine was working great intermittently until clutch came off the front of the compressor. So I think I'm going to just try a new clutch ($60) first....as the system is still fully charged/free spinnig and not making any noise at this time

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 02-01-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

Nope, not the tensioner pulley. I replaced that a year ago. It's definitely the compressor clutch/pulley. I can stop the squeak (for a few mins) by spraying silicon into the back end of the pulley. I've read other posts that state that the compressor must be removed in order to remove the clutch. Mine looks a lot different than the one in your picture and I noticed that I can easily wiggle the front half of it. Oh well, might as well bite the bullet and install a new compressor & clutch.

Are you sure it isn't just the bearing in the tensioner pulley?
Old 02-01-2016, 07:05 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yeah I'd throw a new compressor on it while I was at it.. I really regret not doing the whole compressor when I did mine. My compressor is rattling now so I'm going to have to do the whole job over again.

A brand new ZR1 AC Delco one is $245 delivered on Amazon. It has a 6 rib pulley but that will work work fine on 4 rib, and you have a 6 rib available if you ever need it

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-21745 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor: Automotive Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-21745 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor: Automotive

I'm going to be ticked off if you get the last one though.. I'm going to buy this thing sooner or later
Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Mr. Motion
Advanced

Already ordered the Denso OEM on E-Bay for $100 more, so you're safe for the time being. Thanks a bunch for all of your advice. Now it's time to skin some knuckles!

Yeah I'd throw a new compressor on it while I was at it.. I really regret not doing the whole compressor when I did mine. My compressor is rattling now so I'm going to have to do the whole job over again.

A brand new ZR1 AC Delco one is $245 delivered on Amazon. It has a 6 rib pulley but that will work work fine on 4 rib, and you have a 6 rib available if you ever need it

Amazon.com: ACDelco 15-21745 GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Compressor: Automotive

I'm going to be ticked off if you get the last one though.. I'm going to buy this thing sooner or later
Old 02-20-2018, 11:13 PM
kcotte59
Cruising

Default Compressor clutch bearing spun-

Nope, not the tensioner pulley. I replaced that a year ago. It's definitely the compressor clutch/pulley. I can stop the squeak (for a few mins) by spraying silicon into the back end of the pulley. I've read other posts that state that the compressor must be removed in order to remove the clutch. Mine looks a lot different than the one in your picture and I noticed that I can easily wiggle the front half of it. Oh well, might as well bite the bullet and install a new compressor & clutch.
If the AC compressor clutch pulley fell off - the od of the fit on the nose of the compressor is probably tore up.
Try using gap filling bushing adhesive with a new AC compressor clutch. The car in the pictures has headers and you will not get the compressor out if you have stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:40 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

The car in the pictures is mine and was running factory manifolds.

Get notified of new replies

To a/c compressor replacement

Quick Reply: a/c compressor replacement