C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c6 telescopic steering column install

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by paulcz6
Didnt try the washers or cruise. But the telescopic option did not. Also i did the steering wheel with the radio buttons they also dont work.... Any ideas?
SWC buttons are a function of the clockspring alone, and are completely independent from the wiring controlling the tilt/tele. The two issues are not related.

Fuse check? Recheck the clockspring connectors?

Another strong possibility: When a steering column is removed/disconnected from the car, there is a *very* high likelyhood that the clockspring will be damaged, due to the unrestricted rotation of the steering shaft/clockspring collar. Unless strict anti-rotation measures were employed from the moment the column was removed until the moment it gets reconnected to a car, I'd say the clockspring is likely toast and will need replacement. Even a single turn of a disconnected clockspring collar can lead to its not being in 100% center and thus being damaged when the wheel is reconnected and turned.

Last edited by Kent1999; 04-18-2016 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
SWC buttons are a function of the clockspring alone, and are completely independent from the wiring controlling the tilt/tele. The two issues are not related.

Fuse check? Recheck the clockspring connectors?

Another strong possibility: When a steering column is removed/disconnected from the car, there is a *very* high likelyhood that the clockspring will be damaged, due to the unrestricted rotation of the steering shaft/clockspring collar. Unless strict anti-rotation measures were employed from the moment the column was removed until the moment it gets reconnected to a car, I'd say the clockspring is likely toast and will need replacement. Even a single turn of a disconnected clockspring collar can lead to its not being in 100% center and thus being damaged when the wheel is reconnected and turned.

I would like to know why the Telescopic function is not working ?

Is it because there is no memory module ?

I wonder if there is a way to supply power to just the switch and the motor

Dave
Old 04-19-2016, 08:28 PM
shakin6pak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm wondering if your telescopic motor worked, I'm trying to figure out on mine how to get power to it to see if it runs but gotta be very careful how to hook it so it doesn't burn up. As to why the other functions don't work is puzzling too, I'll ask around to try to get some answers,
Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Didnt try the washers or cruise. But the telescopic option did not. Also i did the steering wheel with the radio buttons they also dont work.... Any ideas?
Paul , Have you figured out why the column is not working yet ?

1- if the steering wheel buttons are not working could it be the clock spring was bad ?

Is it the right Clock Spring that supports the steering wheel controls ?

Did you put your old clock spring in from your original column in that you know worked ?

2- Did you try the wipers and turn signals yet to see if they worked ?

3- When plugging in the column did you have any plugs left over that did not connect to anything that could cause the column not to work ?

I am very interested in any answers you can provide as I want to do this same conversion

My challenge is I am trying to find a column from a 2010 and later as I want to stay as close to the year of my car as I can to eliminate some of the challenges of using an earlier column in a later model car

Dave
Old 04-29-2016, 12:32 PM
paulcz6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave

The whole piece was installed without taking apart anything or messing up the clock spring. I know what it is.

Everything works fine but not the radio controls or power extension... Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Paul , Have you figured out why the column is not working yet ?

1- if the steering wheel buttons are not working could it be the clock spring was bad ?

Is it the right Clock Spring that supports the steering wheel controls ?

Did you put your old clock spring in from your original column in that you know worked ?

2- Did you try the wipers and turn signals yet to see if they worked ?

3- When plugging in the column did you have any plugs left over that did not connect to anything that could cause the column not to work ?

I am very interested in any answers you can provide as I want to do this same conversion

My challenge is I am trying to find a column from a 2010 and later as I want to stay as close to the year of my car as I can to eliminate some of the challenges of using an earlier column in a later model car

Dave
Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Dave

The whole piece was installed without taking apart anything or messing up the clock spring. I know what it is.

Everything works fine but not the radio controls or power extension... Hope this helps.
Paul
Sorry for the 50 questions , I am going to see if I can find the wiring diagram

What year is your ZO6 ?

What year car of the car that the column came out of?

Is it possible to compare the two large wiring connectors on both columns to make sure the wires and color code match ?

Might be easier to take pictures of both sides of the connector that is installed in the car and then compare it to the one that came with the car
Dave

Dave
Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 AM
shakin6pak
Intermediate

I agree, the clockspring plays a very important part in this whole deal, put your old one back in if it wasnt damaged & see what that does. until then we'll keep thinking, Dean
Old 06-07-2016, 04:40 PM
deaton76
Intermediate

Any update with this? I'm thinking about doing this swap as well.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by deaton76
Any update with this? I'm thinking about doing this swap as well.
I am waiting also , did anyone figure this one out ?

Dave
Old 08-11-2016, 11:53 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Paul , did you ever get this figured out , does the telescoping column work ?

Dave
Old 08-11-2016, 11:55 AM
paulcz6
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry very busy no time to get in to it and figure it out.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Default Finish??

sorry very busy no time to get in to it and figure it out.
Did you ever get it to work?
Old 07-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kengsxr
Did you ever get it to work?
I did but I did not use the factory harness , I built a reversing circuit that uses the factory switch ..since my car did not come with memory function it works well

Dave
Old 07-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Easy to make , two relays , just need to feed power to the red and ground the black

Dave

Old 07-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Easy to make , two relays , just need to feed power to the red and ground the black

Dave

Thanks, good winter project.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kengsxr
Thanks, good winter project.
Yep just let me know and I will send you the wiring diagram and the relay numbers that I used .....
Dave
Old 03-25-2018, 10:23 AM
pcritch
2nd Gear

Default Relay wiring

Could you please post the wiring diagram you used for the relay to work with the factory switch to power the telescopic motor? This looks like a great idea to get it working
Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Used two relays to simply reverse the polarity to the telescopic motor using the factory switch to energize the relays
Dave

Old 11-06-2018, 10:32 PM
Kengsxr
Intermediate

I have an '09, from what I have been able to tell, the 09-13 column is different from the 05-08, trying to find a good used 09 tele column is being difficult....

Quick Reply: c6 telescopic steering column install