C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Hand Held Tuning Platform?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:17 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Hand Held Tuning Platform?

Hey,

Looking to see which way i should go for the tune, I have B&B exhaust now and want to go either intake or headers/xpipe. It's been said, i need a tune for either mods to be safe. I see the HP Tuners as the best option as of now, can this easily be modified based upon octane, additional mods, etc? The Diablo any good? Will this void my warranty, assuming I can flash my ecu before heading back to the dealer.

Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 03:22 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ClashBandicoot
Hey,

Looking to see which way i should go for the tune, I have B&B exhaust now and want to go either intake or headers/xpipe. It's been said, i need a tune for either mods to be safe. I see the HP Tuners as the best option as of now, can this easily be modified based upon octane, additional mods, etc? The Diablo any good? Will this void my warranty, assuming I can flash my ecu before heading back to the dealer.

Thanks
Check with Chuck at COW, I have his EFILIVE AutoCal that lets you down load your PCM data and which can be emailed to him for modified tunes for whatever you install. He will email you back a tune you can load into your AutoCal and download into your PCM. I'm on my second tune and could not be happier. Website:corvettes-of-westchester.com Phone:914-332-0049 I think you will be pleased.
The following 2 users liked this post by vettl83:
Chuck CoW (03-19-2016), ClashBandicoot (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Originally Posted by vettl83
Check with Chuck at COW, I have his EFILIVE AutoCal that lets you down load your PCM data and which can be emailed to him for modified tunes for whatever you install. He will email you back a tune you can load into your AutoCal and download into your PCM. I'm on my second tune and could not be happier. Website:corvettes-of-westchester.com Phone:914-332-0049 I think you will be pleased.
Thanks, actually spoke with him today, and i'm not far away so this might be a good option! Did you utilize all the parts he recommended? do you have other brands as well?
The following users liked this post:
Chuck CoW (03-19-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 09:40 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

You can do the same with the Diablo.

Email Diablo Lew as he is the person who will modify your files and email them back to you for upload

Dave
Old 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Thanks, Any other testimony with HP TUners?
Old 03-19-2016, 07:46 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default If you're the guy.....

Thanks, actually spoke with him today, and i'm not far away so this might be a good option! Did you utilize all the parts he recommended? do you have other brands as well?
If you're the guy I spoke to yesterday from New Jersey, then it makes best sense to come here in person.

Nothing comes close to our AutoCal / TUNE / & CoW BOOSTER! package.

While out AutoCal is by far the best hand held tuner out there, Coming here in person is even better...

Give me a ring when you're ready.
Chuck CoW
Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 AM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
You can do the same with the Diablo.

Email Diablo Lew as he is the person who will modify your files and email them back to you for upload

Dave
If you plan to add a cam in the future...skip Lew as he won't tune a cammed car with the diablo. Not sure about the other diablo tuner gurus.
Old 03-20-2016, 02:17 PM
vettl83
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the COW booster, Kooks Headers, Kooks catted mid pipe, Callaway mufflers out back, Halltec Killer Bee w/maf moved forward and Halltec Bee Hive. The car is an 2008 Z06 and is plenty fast! Runs great after Chucks tunes. I also run a 180* thermostat with a DeWitts double core aluminum radiator. Temps stay between 190* and 210* perfect for LS7 operation. Chuck will treat you right and has excellent customer service.
Chuck CoW (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:54 AM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

Nice! Anyone else have testimonial on the HP TUners? Is the Halltec any good?
Old 03-21-2016, 09:53 AM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There's pretty much nothing you can't do with HP Tuners. If you can learn the software and understand what you want to change, then the sky is the limit. Also the nice part is that you can use it to tune tons of different vehicles. I just tuned my old 99 Suburban with it the other day in fact.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:23 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default Chuck CoW and his AutoCal....

Originally Posted by jbomx363
If you plan to add a cam in the future...skip Lew as he won't tune a cammed car with the diablo. Not sure about the other diablo tuner gurus.
Chuck CoW and his AutoCal.... can tune ANYTHING.... ANYWHERE....

Supercharger or CAM or BOTH.....

You have 2 Choices....

1) My AutoCal/Tune package

2) Buy something and TRY to do it yourself.

I would strongly recommend the first option.

Chuck CoW
Old 03-21-2016, 09:18 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

I agree with Jesse82. HP tuners will give you the option to grow. The downside, you must either be able to grasp what you are adjusting and why you are doing it, or pay and/or accept someones willingness to help you learn. later on, if you even think you want to go into heavier mods, Hp tuners would be what I suggest. That way you can make your own changes.
If you are going to stick with the light mods you have stated, other options may make more sense.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:07 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Nice! Anyone else have testimonial on the HP TUners? Is the Halltec any good?
Hp tuners is direct access to all kinds of tables, far from a hand held tuner

It's much more powerful but has a steeper learning curve.

Download a copy of their software from their website and you can check out some tunes on the HPTuners forum to get an idea of how it works if you want.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:00 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default To make things clearer for you.....

Hey,

Thanks
To make things clearer for you..... Some would suggest you get your own tuning software and do it yourself.

Unless you're really bored and have lots of free time and engines to waste..... DON'T consider doing it yourself.

It's really foolish. You're virtually saving nothing, and the learning curve is TREMENDOUS.

Your original post did not ask what the best tuning software was.... You asked what the best handheld tuning

package was.... And I took that to mean, remote tuning package via handheld.

Wether you use MY tuning services or not, the AutoCal is easily the best remote tuner out there as it's pretty

much identical to the EFI LIVE V2 cable the professionals use. The only real difference is that you can not author

your own tunes. ( You can actually do that too.... I just have to prepare them before you can load them. )

Call me and I'll explain in detail.

Thanks
Chuck CoW
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Hp tuners is direct access to all kinds of tables, far from a hand held tuner

It's much more powerful but has a steeper learning curve.

Download a copy of their software from their website and you can check out some tunes on the HPTuners forum to get an idea of how it works if you want.

Although learning the system won't happen overnight, you didn't learn to read and write in a day either. When you learned to read, you no longer became dependent on someone else to tell their version of what was written. When you learned to write, you could then express your own thoughts for a lifetime without reliance on others.

Other than being very powerful software, HP Tuners offers the independence to make immediate changes any hour of the day or night, ability to tune several different vehicles beyond just the one you currently own, updates that add more features, a forum with members who can provide assistance, and the satisfaction that only comes with knowing you are in complete control.

My suggestion would be to purchase HP Tuners and download your stock tune. Then take your laptop to a local professional tuner who does dyno tunes and also races. He can tune your car with your software, which means he won't need to charge extra to buy credits for your car. Then you can compare the stock tune to his dyno tune to jump start your learning process. As you make changes to your car, you can tweak the tune to compensate for the additions.

Don't let the fear of the unknown control you. It's just another tool in your toolbox.
The following 2 users liked this post by HOXXOH:
Chuck CoW (03-22-2016), jesse82nc (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM
jesse82nc
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

Although learning the system won't happen overnight, you didn't learn to read and write in a day either. When you learned to read, you no longer became dependent on someone else to tell their version of what was written. When you learned to write, you could then express your own thoughts for a lifetime without reliance on others.

Other than being very powerful software, HP Tuners offers the independence to make immediate changes any hour of the day or night, ability to tune several different vehicles beyond just the one you currently own, updates that add more features, a forum with members who can provide assistance, and the satisfaction that only comes with knowing you are in complete control.

My suggestion would be to purchase HP Tuners and download your stock tune. Then take your laptop to a local professional tuner who does dyno tunes and also races. He can tune your car with your software, which means he won't need to charge extra to buy credits for your car. Then you can compare the stock tune to his dyno tune to jump start your learning process. As you make changes to your car, you can tweak the tune to compensate for the additions.

Don't let the fear of the unknown control you. It's just another tool in your toolbox.

Couldn't agree more. Sure it's a learning curve, like learning how to use Excel or Photoshop, if you put some time into it, it's not rocket science.

Make friends with a local tuner, if you find a good one they might even take some time to help you learn it while tuning your vehicle. Not everything needs to be done on a dyno too. To save some money, do some of the initial tuning on the street even. A friend of mine helped me tune by 99 Suburban without a dyno. Only took like 30 min too. I didn't get like 50 more hp, but driveability increased, and since it was an automatic, we adjusted the shifts quite a bit.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:10 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default To be honest.... I couldn't agree with you more....

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

To be honest.... I couldn't agree with you more....

That's how any of us in the business started, and YES, for those who have the time and the head for it

owning a professional tool like EFI LIVE V2 or HPT is the way to go.

I am the type of person that needs to have control, and independence from reliance on others. I can't

wait, I don't want to pursue people, I don't want to bother people. I just want to do it myself.

I learned to rebuild AutoMatic transmissions that way....and everything else I learned to do was done that

way too. You're talking to a person that agrees with you 100%.

ON THE OTHER HAND, Some fellas just simply want their car tuned...They don't have the expertise, the time,

or the want to learn something new. They want to PAY... and be happy.

I got the impression that the OP here simply wanted a "handheld" which implies remote tuning.

I didn't want to overwhelm him with choices. I sell V2 Cables or AutoCals.

He does have a bunch of ways to go depending on his needs.

Chuck CoW

Get notified of new replies

To Best Hand Held Tuning Platform?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:53 PM
ClashBandicoot
Instructor

So just some background, my prior car was a 1,200 rwhp supra. I learned the AEM software and modified the tune myself, although I had a tuner assist on dyno day for maximum HP!

Anyways, sounds like i am leaning towards the HP Tuners Software, as i can work off the base maps and modify as needed.

What are the main differences between the AutoCal unit and the HP Tuner? Functionality?
Can I still modify the tunes with the AutoCal? I like to tweak things, no matter how small it be.

I went with the Hinson Headers/Xpipe and will be installing next week hopefully.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2016, 03:57 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you want to tweak whatever you want whenever you want then you want either HP Tuners or whatever the full EFI Live equivalent is. Autocal is really meant for remote tuning. It gives you a way to log and send logs to a tuner, they send you a tune back, you load it on the autocal and then to the car.
ClashBandicoot (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Default The primary difference is.....

So just some background, my prior car was a 1,200 rwhp supra. I learned the AEM software and modified the tune myself, although I had a tuner assist on dyno day for maximum HP!

Anyways, sounds like i am leaning towards the HP Tuners Software, as i can work off the base maps and modify as needed.

What are the main differences between the AutoCal unit and the HP Tuner? Functionality?
Can I still modify the tunes with the AutoCal? I like to tweak things, no matter how small it be.

I went with the Hinson Headers/Xpipe and will be installing next week hopefully.

Thanks in advance

The primary difference is..... That if you want to modify your tune yourself, then forget what we call

handhelds. I consider our AutoCal device to be a handheld because you can not write your own tunes

with it....Although it can load MY tunes easily. Diablo, Predator, etc are considered handhelds.

That pretty much leaves the EFI LIVE V2 cable or HPT. I have both and I much prefer to use EFI LIVE V2

and while it costs a hundred or two more, I much prefer the way it works and the features it has. I do use

my HPT cable every day, but my tunes are a combination of the best features of BOTH tools wrapped into

1 Chuck CoW Tune. I really prefer the way the wideband connects to the V2 SERIALLY (Digital Rs232) vs.

a 5v analog signal and the overall functionality of the scan tool they provide. HPT appears to be cheaper

initially, but the license structure and Custom OS support (which is not free while EFI LIVE is FREE.) Tends

to make HPT a tiny bit less upfront and much more down the road....Especially for shops.

I will always try to help people that send me HPT files, but I can support you 100% when you buy your

EFI LIVE V2 cable from me.

Call me if you're interested.
Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Best Hand Held Tuning Platform?