C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube Headers and CAI OR Tune for Hp and lower end torque increase

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:13 PM
kawzuki
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long tube Headers and CAI OR Tune for Hp and lower end torque increase

I have spoken with four different performance shops about gaining 50-70 RWHP. I don't want to spend to much. Two of the shops say to go with long tube headers and intake and don't get the tune until later after I upgrade. The stock ECU will compensate for the additional air flow with no error messages. They also say I can use the stock NPP mufflers with high flow cat. Will I get some additional sound with the intake and headers? The stock NPP setup seem a bit on the quiet side for me

The other two shops recommend getting just the tune and that I can put the headers and intake on later. In the meantime I would get a good power increase. When I install the headers and intake, the tune can be modified at that time Thanks.

I have a '09 stock LS3 with auto 6 transmission with 25k miles. Can someone who has gone through this please advise me which is the best route to go initially with the least problems and get the best bang for the buck? Are there any potential problems I should be aware of? Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 11:29 PM
08z51m6Ls3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm looking to do the same mods and I'm going at it in this order per all of the research I've done here on the boards. Install CAI (I chose Vararam) Install Longtubes (about to order OBX), 160 degree thermostat, then have the car tuned.

Lots of guys on here gaining 40+hp to the ground on this setup on LS3 cars. I also will stick with high flow cats.

Doing all the mods then getting the tune after will save you quite a bit of $$$

Good luck and be sure to post dyno numbers whichever way you go!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:36 AM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kawzuki
I have spoken with four different performance shops about gaining 50-70 RWHP. I don't want to spend to much. Two of the shops say to go with long tube headers and intake and don't get the tune until later after I upgrade. The stock ECU will compensate for the additional air flow with no error messages. They also say I can use the stock NPP mufflers with high flow cat. Will I get some additional sound with the intake and headers? The stock NPP setup seem a bit on the quiet side for me

The other two shops recommend getting just the tune and that I can put the headers and intake on later. In the meantime I would get a good power increase. When I install the headers and intake, the tune can be modified at that time Thanks.

I have a '09 stock LS3 with auto 6 transmission with 25k miles. Can someone who has gone through this please advise me which is the best route to go initially with the least problems and get the best bang for the buck? Are there any potential problems I should be aware of? Thanks
Well.. now you know which 2 shops to avoid.

Headers and tune will get you started. If you want louder, leave NPP open.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jbomx363
Well.. now you know which 2 shops to avoid.

Headers and tune will get you started. If you want louder, leave NPP open.

I installed the cai without a tune , the ecm can compensate up to 25 %

Next is the header install ....I have a set of LG'S with high flow cats going into a set of NPP'S

Then a tune ....

A cai and a tune is not worth it ...

Dave
Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 AM
C6David
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Intake, headers, and tune is a good starting point. I would definitely get the tune. It will run better and faster.

The headers will add some nice sound to those npp's.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

you are close to me, come up to Daytona and I'll take you for a ride in a 2011 GS that has headers and a tune from Xplosive Performance, who is very close to you.

You should talk to them, they had the best install headers and tune price (by far) than anyone else in our area.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:04 AM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience is with my LS2. You should get a tune after installing headers. So if you decide to get your car tuned beforehand ask the tuner if he offers free or discounted re-tunes later.

I installed a 2010 NPP on my 07 after my headers/hi-flo cats with a manual switch. Closed is quiet enough to pass as stock to the casual observer. Open = Loud enough for deaf people to enjoy. Needless to say, each year I lose a little bit more of my hearing.

That said, there is more to be gained by tuning the trans properly, IMO. Not all LS's have much more to give. But EVERY A6 is de-tuned to save GM warranty/safety issues. Unfortunately, a lot of tuners don't know how to tune the trans properly and leave a lot on the table. Not to mention how much more responsive the shifts will be. By tuning the trans you'd think you were in a different car without adding 1HP.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
That said, there is more to be gained by tuning the trans properly, IMO. Not all LS's have much more to give. But EVERY A6 is de-tuned to save GM warranty/safety issues. Unfortunately, a lot of tuners don't know how to tune the trans properly and leave a lot on the table. Not to mention how much more responsive the shifts will be. By tuning the trans you'd think you were in a different car without adding 1HP.

When I loaded the "Trans Tune" using my Diablo I could not believe the difference and I just used the canned " Firm" tune

Some people say they don't feel a difference and I think that is because when driving normal there is not a difference , the trans still shifts like a slush box that should be in an Impala but stand on the gas and look out !

It will snap your neck shifting into second , it also responds faster to the paddles

Big difference from the 4L60-E that was in my C5 that shifted hard no matter what speed you were doing , that shift banging got old real fast

Dave
Old 04-01-2016, 11:29 AM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Honestly, a dyno tune is really not a ton of money. I would save a little longer and do them all at the same time.

If you do some looking you can probably find some used parts. I was quoted $600 to install my OBX headers, mid pipe, and a custom dyno tune. I bought the headers used, bought a CAI and installed that myself. All in less than $1,200.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:04 AM
Mr.Nubain
Le Mans Master

Location: If you wanna live life on your own terms, you gotta be willing to crash and burn Florida
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
Honestly, a dyno tune is really not a ton of money. I would save a little longer and do them all at the same time.

If you do some looking you can probably find some used parts. I was quoted $600 to install my OBX headers, mid pipe, and a custom dyno tune. I bought the headers used, bought a CAI and installed that myself. All in less than $1,200.
That's one helluva deal for the install and tune. I was quoted between 600-700 just for the tune and as I recall $75-$100 per hour install and they said around 6-8 hours. My friend and I will install, but a tune is a must with headers and vararam Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube Headers and CAI OR Tune for Hp and lower end torque increase

Quick Reply: Long tube Headers and CAI OR Tune for Hp and lower end torque increase