C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerStop - Track Day pads - Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:01 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PowerStop - Track Day pads - Review

I wanted to provide feedback on the Powerstop Track Day pads I got thru RockAuto a month ago. I put these on my 2012 Grand Sport 6speed Manual Coupe!

First some details about the pads... Fronts are being sold at $106 per set, rears are $95 per set thru Rockauto.com.

I had an opportunity to drive them on VIR on Monday with NCM (instructing) at what I would consider intermediate student pace laps with great success. The pads modulate well, the release (transition off the brake rotor upon release of the pedal) is excellent and the pads never let up.

On FRIDAY of this week I was at Dominion Raceway where I was using the brakes much harder. Again, great modulation, great release and the pedal never went soft, even after 5 or 6 long hard sessions.

Most track oriented brake pad sets are going to set you back into the $400 range (all four wheel) unless you have ceramics, and then you know how expensive that can get. But I'm here to tell you that these pads are a tremendous value and great stoppers. I'll be ordering another set of fronts, and a set of rears to keep on hand.

http://www.powerstop.com/product/track-day-brake-kit/

Last edited by Mikelly; 07-03-2016 at 08:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jaredtxrx (06-13-2017)
Old 09-22-2016, 09:50 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts
Default track Day pads C7

[Just bought a set for my 2016 Stingray. Did Track Daze at Dominion last Friday. Fun track. Turn 5 is slow but rewards you with the big Ss.

QUOTE=Mikelly;1592552430]I wanted to provide feedback on the Powerstop Track Day pads I got thru RockAuto a month ago. I put these on my 2012 Grand Sport 6speed Manual Coupe!

First some details about the pads... Fronts are being sold at $106 per set, rears are $95 per set thru Rockauto.com.

I had an opportunity to drive them on VIR on Monday with NCM (instructing) at what I would consider intermediate student pace laps with great success. The pads modulate well, the release (transition off the brake rotor upon release of the pedal) is excellent and the pads never let up.

On FRIDAY of this week I was at Dominion Raceway where I was using the brakes much harder. Again, great modulation, great release and the pedal never went soft, even after 5 or 6 long hard sessions.

Most track oriented brake pad sets are going to set you back into the $400 range (all four wheel) unless you have ceramics, and then you know how expensive that can get. But I'm here to tell you that these pads are a tremendous value and great stoppers. I'll be ordering another set of fronts, and a set of rears to keep on hand.

http://www.powerstop.com/product/track-day-brake-kit/[/QUOTE]
Old 09-23-2016, 12:37 AM
truth.b
Drifting

Received 119 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I wanted to provide feedback on the Powerstop Track Day pads I got thru RockAuto a month ago. I put these on my 2012 Grand Sport 6speed Manual Coupe!

Are these padlets are a single piece pad?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 PM
EMNJ
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the review.

Wondering if you left them on for street use? Noise? Dust?
Old 01-09-2017, 05:45 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

These are a SINGLE PAD setup.

Still on my car. I've left them on since I did this review and I'll continue to run them until I swap to a more aggressive pad for Time Trial.

That said, These pads rock as a dual purpose pad. They do dust up, as any aggressive pad does, but they do not squeal much at all. For the money, these are hands down better than the OEM pads and they are an AWESOME budget pad that have held up to repeated abuse and have proven themselves during my instructing at events near me. I've tracked on them 4 weekends so far and they have done well.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 01-09-2017 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

These are a SINGLE PAD setup.

Still on my car. I've left them on since I did this review and I'll continue to run them until I swap to a more aggressive pad for Time Trial.

That said, These pads rock as a dual purpose pad. They do dust up, as any aggressive pad does, but they do not squeal much at all. For the money, these are hands down better than the OEM pads and they are an AWESOME budget pad that have held up to repeated abuse and have proven themselves during my instructing at events near me. I've tracked on them 4 weekends so far and they have done well.

Mike
Do you remember what friction rating they are? It will be on the edge of the pad, the last two letters. As a reference, the factory padlets are FF friction rating.

And, did you also use their drilled/slotted rotors, or the OEM drilled ones, or something else?

Last edited by Seadawg; 01-13-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:19 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Don't remember at all. No way to see it with them in the caliper either.

I'm using OEM rotors that were on the car.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 AM
formula80_ca
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't remember at all. No way to see it with them in the caliper either.

I'm using OEM rotors that were on the car.

Thanks for the review!

Last edited by formula80_ca; 03-20-2017 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

They are on a 2012 Grandsport. I do have the box in my car trailer. Will post pics when I am back home in a couple days.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

So after 15K in street miles and what amounts to 12 sessions total on track (not days, but sessions), this is what these pads looked like.

For students, I would HIGHLY recommend these pads while you are learning. I instruct and that puts me in a driving group that is much quicker, and more aggressive than your average beginner or intermediate student. These pads are an EXCELLENT cost effective pad to HPDE on and as you can see, with 15K miles driving on them, they last pretty well on the street.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:59 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow, nice review.
Less than $200 shipped for the base coupe, very temping for when the time comes.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:41 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Z26 to Track Day

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Wow, nice review.
Less than $200 shipped for the base coupe, very temping for when the time comes.

Just switched from the Z26 pads on my 2016 C7 for daily driving and a few past events at Dominion, VIR, Summit Point to the Track Day pads for an upcoming NCM HPDE event at VIR.

WOW great initial bite, no squeal. A bit grabby for the street at first but easy to get used to.

These pads are going to make a big difference on the track!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 PM
STANG KILLA SS
Safety Car

Received 378 Likes on 265 Posts

on a similiar subject i recently tried the duralast "GT" pads from autozone on the rear (i run Hawk HP+ on the front)
this is a track only C6Z.

Duralast GT is a performance brake pad line used for high heat applications such as racing, towing, high GVW vehicles, police, and fleets. Duralast GT Street is a product designed to more closely match the pedal feel of the OE pad, be relatively quiet, and provide high temperature resistance to fade and wear to extend the products lining life. Duralast GT brake pads are constructed using carbon fiber technology, which make them incredibly durable and provide extraordinary stopping power even under the most extreme braking conditions. Duralast GT pads are manufactured under the highest quality standards and are Made in the USA.
  • Carbon Fiber Formulation for High Heat Braking Applications
  • V-Slot Technology to Reduce Wear and Increase Stopping Power
  • QuietShield Shim Technology to reduce noise
  • Race Proven by Team Penske
they are padlets, but are only $82 dollars compared to hawk HP+ pads at $300
http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...451_32180_2805

they dust like a mother. which typically is a good indication of a high bite track pad.
i cant comment on there performance, as they are only on the rear right now. but when my hawks wear out up front i may give them a shot at less than 1/3 the cost!

on a weird note they came in VERY fancy packaging. high gloss full color inside and out box, CNC cut foam to hold the pads inside the box, a flip out panel. i know this sounds weird, which is why i remember it, you dont see that much effort go into packaging of parts.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

What rotors were you running with these pads and if you got the rotors along with the pads where and how much did you pay? I have a C5 and Iam thinking of going with a set of these on the front and possibly napa blank or centric cheap rotors for my 1 day at the NCM track. I can get rotors for $ $80-100 for both fronts plus these pads for less then $100.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:44 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Default Stock Rotors

Stock rotors with Z-26 street or Track Day Pads. No issues.

But I'm upgrading to Z51 front calipers/rotors, DBA 4000 series rotors and DBA XP650 pads

Get notified of new replies

To PowerStop - Track Day pads - Review

Quick Reply: PowerStop - Track Day pads - Review