C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:40 AM
badass68
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I think I found the problem. The fan blades in the alternator were bend outwards scraping the windings . Time to order a new alternator.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:37 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by badass68
I think I found the problem. The fan blades in the alternator were bend outwards scraping the windings . Time to order a new alternator.
How may mile on the engine. I ask, since it sounds like the alternator bearing when south, and what started the cascade problem effect.
Note, the Valeo alternator do not like to be over spun to begin with!!!

But yes, winding wires being scrapped will end up with their coatings being scrapped off, and will cause all kinds of problems.

Post a photo when you get a chance of the wire scrapping damage.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:48 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by badass68
I can't use factory plugs due to supercharger. I run #7 NGK's.
you can run the factory iridium ZR1 Supercharged plugs
Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Z51LS3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass68 View Post

Originally Posted by Dano523
How may mile on the engine. I ask, since it sounds like the alternator bearing when south, and what started the cascade problem effect.
Note, the Valeo alternator do not like to be over spun to begin with!!!

But yes, winding wires being scrapped will end up with their coatings being scrapped off, and will cause all kinds of problems.

Post a photo when you get a chance of the wire scrapping damage.

Although i have not taken mine apart this sounds like what happened to mine, as the voltage drop happened just after i hit rev limiter while racing...

Last edited by Z51LS3; 09-03-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:33 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by badass68 View Post

Although i have not taken mine apart this sounds like what happened to mine, as the voltage drop happened just after i hit rev limiter while racing...

Could be, or could be that the brush housing it packed with brush dust, and the high rev was just enough to cause a brush sticking inwards in the housing instead.

In the write up I did, the alternator only had about 30K on it, but was dumbfounded by the amount of dust that that I cleaned out of the brush housing channels to allow the brushed to move freely again in the channels.
Old 09-05-2016, 12:31 AM
Z51LS3
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
Could be, or could be that the brush housing it packed with brush dust, and the high rev was just enough to cause a brush sticking inwards in the housing instead.

In the write up I did, the alternator only had about 30K on it, but was dumbfounded by the amount of dust that that I cleaned out of the brush housing channels to allow the brushed to move freely again in the channels.
I checked the brushes on mine today, they looked good and tall. There wasnt any dust but I cleanned the ends, the armature, and the connections on the regulator. However everything looked good and clean to begin with.

Last edited by Z51LS3; 09-05-2016 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Charging alternator issue