C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction contol

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:41 AM
lanray
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default traction contol

2005 35,000 miles C6
while driving, traction control light comes on, gas guage goes to empty and security lock light came on. there was loss of power but was able to drive. after turning ignition off and then restarting all seems to be back to normal.... has anyone else had this to happen and what should i check
Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 AM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

See if you can pull any trouble codes and go from there. Kind of sounds like you lost power to some of the components while driving.
Did you do something that would cause the TC light to come on?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:44 AM
lanray
8th Gear

[QUOTE=extrapilot;1592625769]See if you can pull any trouble codes and go from there. Kind of sounds like you lost power to some of the components while driving.
Did you do something that would cause the TC light to come on?[/QUote

automatic transmission, I down shifted from drive to 3rd at about 50mph and accelerated to 80mph, shifted back to drive lights came on shortly after.... thanks for response
Old 07-14-2016, 11:37 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Something very similar has happened to me twice. I think its a charging issue and when the battery voltage gets low the computer goes stupid. I replaced Alt but that wasn't the issue. Checking grounds and + connections as well as cleaning and reconnecting the batt terminals. So far I've been watching the batt voltage like a hawk and all seems well.
The following users liked this post:
lanray (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

I bet is was very hot outside when you had the problem wasn't it?
Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM
lanray
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Orion2011
I bet is was very hot outside when you had the problem wasn't it?
temps in the 90s
Old 07-14-2016, 12:18 PM
lanray
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Orion2011
Something very similar has happened to me twice. I think its a charging issue and when the battery voltage gets low the computer goes stupid. I replaced Alt but that wasn't the issue. Checking grounds and + connections as well as cleaning and reconnecting the batt terminals. So far I've been watching the batt voltage like a hawk and all seems well.
I'll check connections ASAP !!
Old 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Bat66
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I had the same issues a couple of weeks ago, i was in a parade top off AC blowing because it was hot as hell, everything went crazy, stop to put the top back on, battery dead as a door nail, after i got it home had the battery replaced and replaced the post terminals. Once the battery is completely drain it time to replace.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:20 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by lanray
I'll check connections ASAP !!
Maybe worth while to have the battey load tested, just to be sure that it's still in good shape. With the heat of the summer upon us, batteries will die easily. Most parts store will test your battery for free.....
Old 07-15-2016, 01:55 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Been there, done that (to a lesser degree solving a low voltage charging probelm)!

We start here, and don't forget to disconnect the battery terminals before you pull the alternator!!!!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nator-fix.html

Then when connecting the charging cable back on the back of the alternator, make sure it's clean and dielectric greased (the running theme you going to see). Also, help to make sure the bolting point of the alternator to the bracket is cleaned with a touch of electrical grease as well(how it going to ground back to the battery)

Next comes getting under the car to the starter so you pull the cable connectors there to clean and grease and connect back on, as well as the ground cable bolted to the side of the block just above the starter.

Next comes the terminal on the fuse block and when you have the that one off to clean and grease, pull the fuse block to clean and grease not only where the fuses plug in, but under the upper fuse block where it's spades plugs into the lower blocks as well.
[img]https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin/958x718/80-repairs_completed_d6d90b8019cb29578013a8 5335c2e1d7d399508a.jpg[/img

Next comes pulling and cleaning the ECM connectors, as well as the BCM connector next.
On the BCM, go ahead and pull the fuses to clean and grease the slot tabs where the fuses plug into it.

Now the big one, and when you have the main Blue connector off the BCM, make sure that there is some free slack in that cable loom when you go to plug is back in. GM short leashed it in a few cars with no slack, and if you have someone over in the passenger seat, then when they push hard on the carpet with their feet, then can actually cause a problem with the BCM connector to the BCM loosing some continuity on the pins.

All that is really left for the main part, is to do the battery terminal connectors when you go to put them back on, and make sure to clean the small negative cable that loops down and connects to the frame.

As for the rest of the connectors in the car, if you are in the area working on something, then take the time to pull them connector in the area apart to spray electrical clean them, puts some dielectric grease on the connectors and plug them back together.

Hence GM could have solved a lot of older car electrical gremlins by just using some Dielectric grease on the connectors/connection points, instead of having corrosion problems in the connectors once the car gets some age on them isntead.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Here is another observation that may have led to my problem. I had recently had a new battery installed. I let the tech do the install. The first thing he did was apply dielectric grease to the batt terminals BEFORE he put the battery cables on. I believe this led to a poor connection of those battery cables and cause a high voltage drop.

Dielectric grease goes on after the battery cables are torqued down not before.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:15 PM
lanray
8th Gear

Thanks for all the replies, I replaced alt. and replaced battery. Voltages are up and good. Alt. tested bad and the battery was losing charge. So far all good, did a 2000 mile trip with no issues ... thanks everyone !!

Get notified of new replies

To traction contol

Quick Reply: traction contol