C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Brakes do not fit front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts
Default HELP! Brakes do not fit front wheels

2008 Base model
Ok guys, i am a complete noob to this im a dummy for this so please bare with me. If any help is given it would be greatly appreciated.

Finally got the time to install the z06 brakes and wheels/tires on the car. Sorry NOPE they were lies. Supposedly these wheels i baught would fit "big brakes". that wasn't the case. These are cray spyder wheels and z06 brakes. The offsets are not stock and they are half an inch wider than stock front/rear. Rear's combo is ok since big wheels and smaller brakes. But i was iffy about the fronts from the start. smaller wheels, bigger brakes. Everything was great until we mounted the wheels right after installing the front discs and caliper. And guess what, exactly... the caliper hits the spoke of the wheel just barely. I got frustrated. We used a 1 1/8th washer to see how it would look. Turned out it actually worked. By a quarter of an inch these brakes didnt fit the supposedly "big brakes" ready wheels. I would feel more comfortable with 1 1/4th though. Here i demonstrate the difference between the rears and the fronts.

So the rears are fine.

Fronts in a close up you can see the caliper touching with the wheel.

Any advise on how to Fix this? No i do not want any fancy washers, or wheel spacers or hub centric spacers. I don't want to die. This car will see crazy speeds and will reach them quickly, and quite a lot of times.
Yes i know, either buy new wheels with the correct offset, new less wide brakes, or __________ (your line here). If need more info ill do my best to provide.
Thank you and please help guys
Old 08-21-2016, 01:15 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

And by the way, i was thinking if it would be possible if there is actually a hub assembly that would fix this problem. Where the hub would be wider and clear the wheel away from the caliper just enough to make it work.

This here. Has anyone ever considered doing that? Is it even possible is there a part? Idk just thinking outside the box. Bare with me
Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 PM
cheetah45
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I may be wrong, but a spacer may be your only reasonable priced option. I know from previous research that my Gumbies can accommodate a Z06 brake set, but I would need 1/4" spacers for the fronts. I have determined the J55 brakes are pretty damn good and it's not like I am going to Nurburgring anytime soon, so I gave up thoughts of Z brakes on my '08.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

If i were to settle with any spacer i would only want to use an american made real alluminum billet one. I cant find anywhere that can make them. Any help
Old 08-21-2016, 09:43 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

1/4 inch spacer with ET lug nuts and you will have no issues. Can't remember where I got my spacers but I will try and find the bill when I have time and let you know. They are billet as opposed to the Chinese junk.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

If you can please do thank you. Im staying away from ebay for sure though.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:12 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by realcanuk
1/4 inch spacer with ET lug nuts and you will have no issues. Can't remember where I got my spacers but I will try and find the bill when I have time and let you know. They are billet as opposed to the Chinese junk.
Just curious, but what form are the Chinese spacers made from, if not billet? And is the billet you speak of, cast or extruded?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Just curious, but what form are the Chinese spacers made from, if not billet? And is the billet you speak of, cast or extruded?
I am not a metal expert and don't really know. I just know that some cheap ones at a local parts store here looked like they were maybe cast or something. They looked a bit rough and almost brittle looking. Might not make a difference but I didn't feel comfortable with those.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I am not sure what they are made from but they feel cheap, weigh less than a piece of paper and feel like i can break them with my bare hands. Ive held some yesterday and just no.
And i am not sure what properly strong ones are made from. I just they are billet alluminum, but the real deal ones. Some even made from steal. There are plenty, but i only find big bolt on spacers. I can't find any 1/4" inch spacer and im not going to ebay for that
Old 08-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

So these front wheel specs are 18 x 9 with +50 offset. There is only 1/8 of an inch to literally clear the wide caliper from the spoke. So we can assume the wheel design is what it is and only needs a little more positive offset to clear the wide caliper.

So do you guys think if i buy the exact same wheel, but in a 18 x 9.5 +56 offset, it will fit? The wheel will be half an inch wider and the offset is 6mm more or about a quarter of an inch. Assuming the wheel design... do you guys think buying the new wheel in that size will work?
And i can sell the current ones. Brand spanking new
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Jaime-Corvette
So these front wheel specs are 18 x 9 with +50 offset. There is only 1/8 of an inch to literally clear the wide caliper from the spoke. So we can assume the wheel design is what it is and only needs a little more positive offset to clear the wide caliper.

So do you guys think if i buy the exact same wheel, but in a 18 x 9.5 +56 offset, it will fit? The wheel will be half an inch wider and the offset is 6mm more or about a quarter of an inch. Assuming the wheel design... do you guys think buying the new wheel in that size will work?
And i can sell the current ones. Brand spanking new
You can figure that out with an online calculator.

I think its silly when you can must run a spacer, which wont cause any issues. I cant find the bill or remember where I got mine but if you just do a google search for wheel spacers you can find good quality, made in the USA ones easily.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

You can figure that out with an online calculator.

I think its silly when you can must run a spacer, which wont cause any issues. I cant find the bill or remember where I got mine but if you just do a google search for wheel spacers you can find good quality, made in the USA ones easily.
Ok are you talking about the bolt on spacer? Or the spacer that is just a disc that slips in there? I can't find any company that makes those kind but they do make bolt on ones in a much unwanted bigger sizes.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Ok are you talking about the bolt on spacer? Or the spacer that is just a disc that slips in there? I can't find any company that makes those kind but they do make bolt on ones in a much unwanted bigger sizes.
Not bolt on. I just run a 5mm spacer with my welds. Like I said, I don't remember where I go them but they are similar to these...

dam win 10.. my copy paste wont work today.... Search on Baer wheel spacers.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Not bolt on. I just run a 5mm spacer with my welds. Like I said, I don't remember where I go them but they are similar to these...

dam win 10.. my copy paste wont work today.... Search on Baer wheel spacers.
Ok i got it https://baer.com/5x4.25-5x4.5-5x4.75/
Cant seem to change it to 1/4 inch though.

Edit: ok i got tge wide size at .250. Umm, if ibuy this i would have to get the threads (studs) longer right? How much and where to get them?

Last edited by Jaime-Corvette; 08-22-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:53 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

Ok i got it https://baer.com/5x4.25-5x4.5-5x4.75/
Cant seem to change it to 1/4 inch though.

Edit: ok i got tge wide size at .250. Umm, if ibuy this i would have to get the threads (studs) longer right? How much and where to get them?
You just need ET lug nuts..... time to use google..
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 AM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check out motorsport-tech.com. That's where I bought my spacers and ET lugs. I wanted my wheels to be flush with my fenders. Excellent quality and service, have had them on for 2 years, no issues.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:16 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Ok i just bought hubcebtric ring spacers from motorsport tech and they cost a pretty penny. I think now i need et lug nuts... or i hear longer studs is the right way to go? What do you guys say?

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Brakes do not fit front wheels

Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ok i just bought hubcebtric ring spacers from motorsport tech and they cost a pretty penny. I think now i need et lug nuts... or i hear longer studs is the right way to go? What do you guys say?
I did ARP studs with SKF Bearings.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

They also sell the ET lugs!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '13

If you bought 1/4 inch like you wanted I already told told you ET nuts are fine so I'm out now.
The following users liked this post:
Jaime-Corvette (08-22-2016)

Quick Reply: HELP! Brakes do not fit front wheels