C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bolt ons and camshaft,what can I expect for power increase?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:03 PM
clp13294
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt ons and camshaft,what can I expect for power increase?

So I got my C6 this past summer,I enjoyed it in its basically stock form,but I want more out of the car(who doesnt??). It has a vararam cai,and a dual mode exhaust as of now. I will keep the cai,but exhaust is getting ditched. I plan on doing a camshaft,something in the neighborhood of 230* and .600 lift on a 112lsa. FAST intake,headers,full exhaust,and a dyno tune. Is there any one combination of these components that will net me 450hp+ at the tires? Or are we talking cylinder heads as well at that hp. The goal is to keep the car N/A for now,but will not rule out the possibility of supercharging the car down the road. In my head I know 450hp is a stretch for just a cam and bolt ons,but thats the number I want. If anyone can give me their two cents on what direction to go I would really appreciate it so I can get to shopping for some hotrod parts and get the car ready to breathe new life this coming spring. Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Knowklew
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

My cam is 233/248 at .050 duration with a 113 LSA. I coupled that with 1-3/4" Kooks headers, catless X and stock mufflers. I put down 486/467 on the dyno.

2013 Grandsport, Dry Sump, 6M
Old 12-05-2016, 08:30 PM
clp13294
Heel & Toe

Those are good numbers,but its hard to compare the mill of your 13' gs,to my dated LS2. Im sure the cylinder heads in your car flow a good amount better than what my car is equipped with,not to mention the difference in cubic inch,be it a small difference. If I were to do just a cam and headers,I wouldn't expect to see more than 425hp in my application.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Probably not what you're asking, but I'd leave all that behind and go straight to FI. I did a small blower on a completely stock LS3. My car can be daily driven if needed, it is completely docile in traffic, acts like a factory showroom car...until the blower spools up.

Cams sound really cool, and that might be your goal, but driveability changes, especially at the low end and is commensurate with cam size. You know this already, I'm sure, but I don't regret one minute taking the FI leap.

Last edited by BlindSpot; 12-06-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by clp13294
So I got my C6 this past summer,I enjoyed it in its basically stock form,but I want more out of the car(who doesnt??). It has a vararam cai,and a dual mode exhaust as of now. I will keep the cai,but exhaust is getting ditched. I plan on doing a camshaft,something in the neighborhood of 230* and .600 lift on a 112lsa. FAST intake,headers,full exhaust,and a dyno tune. Is there any one combination of these components that will net me 450hp+ at the tires? Or are we talking cylinder heads as well at that hp. The goal is to keep the car N/A for now,but will not rule out the possibility of supercharging the car down the road. In my head I know 450hp is a stretch for just a cam and bolt ons,but thats the number I want. If anyone can give me their two cents on what direction to go I would really appreciate it so I can get to shopping for some hotrod parts and get the car ready to breathe new life this coming spring. Thanks guys!
a ported Fast 102 with headers and your choice of camshaft will make a large difference
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 AM
lawson1603
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 07 LS2 Auto with Vararam, LG 1-7/8 headers, no cats, Bi Mode exhaust (Open) and 232/236 Bullet cam. My car made 444/411.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:46 AM
clp13294
Heel & Toe

So if I do everything right I should be in the neighborhood of 450,Im good with that. I found a set of livernois stage 2 heads on the local listings for 1000 bucks,are they worth picking up to go along with the cam and intake? Or do the stock LS2 heads flow enough to not worry about it? 1000 bucks is short enough money and if they would be good for another 20hp then Id be willing to try them.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

My thread, with all my mods overlaid on one dyno sheet along with drag strip results, might be interesting for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ast-heads.html

Here's the first post, but check out the thread because there is some good discussion there about the effect of rear end gears and weight and other discussions that you may find relevant.

Welcome to the c6 world!

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Decided yesterday to overlay all my mods since I've self tuned and dyno'ed each time I did major mods.

I found it interesting and thought I'd share.

See below. Each line represents progressive mods:
1. stock;
2. headers & tune (3.90 gears at same time);
3. G5x3 cam & .040 gaskets (11.4 compression);
4. FAST, and
5. used AFR 205 heads.

What strikes me is how dramatic the gains from headers and a tune were. Combined with the gears, it felt like a different car, and I got a full second + 10 mph in the 1/4 from those mods, from 12.9@108 to 11.8@118. The car was dead nuts reliable at this level.

The second take away is how all the remaining mods really only mattered from 4500 on. Thus I very seldom notice them on the street, only on the track. Not counting the cool sound of the cam.

Mods 3-5 did take off another second and added 10 mph - to 10.8@128. But it cost a lot more and I broke a diff and two transmissions on my way.

This graph shows what I've been saying for while; headers, tune and gears give you by far the best bang for the buck from idle to redline, the remaining mods only matter from 4500 on. Most street driving is below 3000 rpm...you do feel gears and headers even at that level.

Hope someone finds this useful as they decide upon mods.

Another item Tommy kindly reminded me of, is weight reduction.

If you are drag racing, you can expect .1 to .15 from putting skinny tires up front (saving 50 lbs+ of rotating weight) and taking out your passenger seat (53 lbs).

By the way, If you don't race on the track but want your car to feel 10 times quicker for a very low price, look into the cow booster. Here is my review of that mod. After two years I'm still not used to the snappy throttle response my car has with it. It feels so quick just cruising around town, it's a great mod.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-buck-mod.html
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 PM
clp13294
Heel & Toe

So I picked up a set of the gmpp LS3 heads,cnc ported with sodium filled exhaust valves. At first glance the ports are very clean and very well blended. According to a few sources online they flow exceptional for the money youre paying. My only drawback is that Id like to have them milled and that will put me a little deeper into the heads as far as money goes,wondering if I could have picked up a set of prc's for the same cost after Im all in,I still need to get springs to match my cam which are 400+ dollars on their own. Camshaft Im going to be using is a comp grind. .614/.624 lift 227/243 duration on a 113lsa,seemingly stout specs for a street car. What all do I need to complete the ls3 top end conversion? I have the LS3 offset rockers(am getting trunnion upgrade) I know I need LS3 style intake, what about injectors? Fuel rails? Throttle body? Map sensor? Are exhaust ports in same location? Id like to get things moving because spring will be here before I know it and Id like to have the car back together,thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2016, 11:23 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by clp13294
So I picked up a set of the gmpp LS3 heads,cnc ported with sodium filled exhaust valves. At first glance the ports are very clean and very well blended. According to a few sources online they flow exceptional for the money youre paying. My only drawback is that Id like to have them milled and that will put me a little deeper into the heads as far as money goes,wondering if I could have picked up a set of prc's for the same cost after Im all in,I still need to get springs to match my cam which are 400+ dollars on their own. Camshaft Im going to be using is a comp grind. .614/.624 lift 227/243 duration on a 113lsa,seemingly stout specs for a street car. What all do I need to complete the ls3 top end conversion? I have the LS3 offset rockers(am getting trunnion upgrade) I know I need LS3 style intake, what about injectors? Fuel rails? Throttle body? Map sensor? Are exhaust ports in same location? Id like to get things moving because spring will be here before I know it and Id like to have the car back together,thanks guys!
Several people have done LS3 heads on a LS2, so search them out for tips before you buy anything else. One notable thing is valve clearance required for the cam you'll be using. Flycutting pistons is common for this swap.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:15 PM
clp13294
Heel & Toe

I planned on having to fly cut if I want to use this camshaft and mill the heads to keep the same/increase compression ratio. Originally I actually didnt even plan on doing a head swap but while looking for other parts on craigslist I stumbled over these brand new in the box with receipt for 1000 bucks. Figure why not,he threw in the offset LS3 rocker arms too for free also brand new so I couldnt pass it up. Hopefully with the cam,heads,bump in compression,intake,headers and a solid dyno tune ill pick up 100+ hp. Just have to get the rest of the pieces to the puzzle!

Get notified of new replies

To bolt ons and camshaft,what can I expect for power increase?

Quick Reply: bolt ons and camshaft,what can I expect for power increase?