C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers choice help

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Headers choice help

So looking at header choices. Still stuck between just doing shorty headers or going with long tubes...for different reasons. Won't get into that.

Just wondering. For shorty headers, looking at Magnaflow or Hooker Blackheart. Seem to be the only two I can find. Magnaflow are 16 gauge steel, titanium ceramic coated, but have a 2.375" collector. Hooker Blackhearts are 18 gauge steel, no ceramic coating...and have 3"collector.

I have 2010 Grand Sport, manual, NPP exhaust, etc. My understanding is the whole stock exhaust is 2.5". Looking at stock exhaust, appears there are the manifolds, separate pipe section with catalytic converters, then x-pipe that has some extra strange baffle things on it or something (what is that?)....and then the other piping and mufflers.

So what is the sizing of the separate stock piece with catalytic converters? I assume the Magnaflow shorty headers with 2.375" collector is meant to work with stock cats, etc...although they do sell aftermarket catalytic converters but I can't tell if they are supposed to be high flow or what. says OEM or HM as options.

Hooker Blackheart system seems the way to go, in attaining full 3" exhaust with their shorty headers with 3" collector, and have high flow cats, x-pipe and remaining exhaust...all in 3". But whereas the cats sold by Magnaflow look like exact fit to bolt in for replacement of stock cats....the high flow ones from Hooker look to be just the catalytic converter with no end pieces for bolting to headers and x-pipe. Would it be up to an exhaust shop to weld the cat in to original stock piece with flanges? And back to earlier question then...what the hell is the size of the piping on that stock catalytic converter piece? It would seem it would be ridiculous to go from header with 3" collector, to something that might be 2.5" original cat piece with flanges....to 3" x-pipe and remaining exhaust? I thought for a second I could use Z06 stock piece or something, but it has different shape, different shaped flange that connects to stock Z06 headers...oval shaped.

Find it strange that nobody makes an x-pipe with high flow cats...all as one piece, for stock manifolds or aftermarket shorty headers. Looks like when you go long tube headers, then the high flow cats (if chosen) ARE part of the x-pipe section.

Lost.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:39 AM
pocketrocket
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedthrill
So looking at header choices. Still stuck between just doing shorty headers or going with long tubes...for different reasons. Won't get into that.

Just wondering. For shorty headers, looking at Magnaflow or Hooker Blackheart. Seem to be the only two I can find. Magnaflow are 16 gauge steel, titanium ceramic coated, but have a 2.375" collector. Hooker Blackhearts are 18 gauge steel, no ceramic coating...and have 3"collector.

I have 2010 Grand Sport, manual, NPP exhaust, etc. My understanding is the whole stock exhaust is 2.5". Looking at stock exhaust, appears there are the manifolds, separate pipe section with catalytic converters, then x-pipe that has some extra strange baffle things on it or something (what is that?)....and then the other piping and mufflers.

So what is the sizing of the separate stock piece with catalytic converters? I assume the Magnaflow shorty headers with 2.375" collector is meant to work with stock cats, etc...although they do sell aftermarket catalytic converters but I can't tell if they are supposed to be high flow or what. says OEM or HM as options.

Hooker Blackheart system seems the way to go, in attaining full 3" exhaust with their shorty headers with 3" collector, and have high flow cats, x-pipe and remaining exhaust...all in 3". But whereas the cats sold by Magnaflow look like exact fit to bolt in for replacement of stock cats....the high flow ones from Hooker look to be just the catalytic converter with no end pieces for bolting to headers and x-pipe. Would it be up to an exhaust shop to weld the cat in to original stock piece with flanges? And back to earlier question then...what the hell is the size of the piping on that stock catalytic converter piece? It would seem it would be ridiculous to go from header with 3" collector, to something that might be 2.5" original cat piece with flanges....to 3" x-pipe and remaining exhaust? I thought for a second I could use Z06 stock piece or something, but it has different shape, different shaped flange that connects to stock Z06 headers...oval shaped.

Find it strange that nobody makes an x-pipe with high flow cats...all as one piece, for stock manifolds or aftermarket shorty headers. Looks like when you go long tube headers, then the high flow cats (if chosen) ARE part of the x-pipe section.

Lost.
You may want to check out American Racing Headers. They have a very good website
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

With respect - nowhere within your post can I find what you want to accomplish. Your end goal should dictate your choices and options. There are options that include x-pipe and high flow cats, but typically full solutions, as in headers plus cats plus x-pipe, not just the later. In truth, some C6s have h-pipes, and some already have x-pipes.

Determine your goal - that will guide your part selection.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Lost.

Wow you are all over the place with your questions ....so I will try to answer the important ones

Don't waste your time with Shorty's , absolutely nothing to gain for the amount of work you are going to do ... if you want to say with a stock style exhaust go with a ZO6 system and get a 15 HP gain , you would have to neck down the 3 inch pipe to 2 1/2 and make a slight adjustment to the right side pipe to mate to your stock exhaust but any exhaust shop can do this mod for you

And the funny looking baffles you are referring to in your X pipe are a second set of cats ....

Just go with LG super pro long tubes with a hi flow catted X pipe that necks down to 2 1/2 to mate to your stock mufflers
Old 03-10-2017, 01:43 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

Thanks. Yeah...was late, and rambling. Apologies. But was looking at the Hooker Blackheart setup, because figured could have a full exhaust...shorty headers through to mufflers in 3" for the price of long tubes and x-pipe pretty much.

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Wow you are all over the place with your questions ....so I will try to answer the important ones

Don't waste your time with Shorty's , absolutely nothing to gain for the amount of work you are going to do ... if you want to say with a stock style exhaust go with a ZO6 system and get a 15 HP gain , you would have to neck down the 3 inch pipe to 2 1/2 and make a slight adjustment to the right side pipe to mate to your stock exhaust but any exhaust shop can do this mod for you

And the funny looking baffles you are referring to in your X pipe are a second set of cats ....

Just go with LG super pro long tubes with a hi flow catted X pipe that necks down to 2 1/2 to mate to your stock mufflers
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts

Arh longtubes and don't look back.
Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Dynatech makes a 1 7/8" long tube set, with cats and X-pipe, ceramic coated for less than $1500. Just purchased my second set.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:56 AM
mattdracing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your time with shorty's. Do it right the first time. Do a nice set of longtube headers (I use kooks because I know the owner and they are nice quality). On my old grand sport I had kooks 1 7/8 longtubes with an offroad x pipe (you can do catted if you would like) and I had it hooked up to the factory npp exhaust. Sounded great and with that, cold air intake and a tune it's a great bang for the buck. Picks up some good power and sounds great. Hope this helps!

P.S. You get what you pay for. It's worth every extra penny for a nice quality set of longtubes (kooks or ARH in my opinion) for the quality, fitment, and power
-Matt

Last edited by mattdracing; 03-15-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:30 AM
ZO6junkie77
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't give to much advise on particular headers as I'm still learning the vette scene, but might I suggest getting a coating on them when you do decide. Swaintech does a "white lighting" coating that is suppose to cut down heat production; the guys I purchased my M3 headers from had already done the coating. Everyone rants about the coatings and how much cooler they keep the headers. Just food for thought.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by mattdracing
Don't waste your time with shorty's. Do it right the first time. Do a nice set of longtube headers (I use kooks because I know the owner and they are nice quality). On my old grand sport I had kooks 1 7/8 longtubes with an offroad x pipe (you can do catted if you would like) and I had it hooked up to the factory npp exhaust. Sounded great and with that, cold air intake and a tune it's a great bang for the buck. Picks up some good power and sounds great. Hope this helps!

P.S. You get what you pay for. It's worth every extra penny for a nice quality set of longtubes (kooks or ARH in my opinion) for the quality, fitment, and power
-Matt
Old 03-16-2017, 12:51 AM
Speedthrill
Instructor

So I scrapped the whole short tube header thing. Was squashed completely when I talked to Holley about Hooker Blackheart shorty headers...and the fact that they don't offer anything to match up with them.

Then I got a major shock when I got a quote from my local performance tech / mechanic. Did a bunch of work on my '13 Boss 302 I had. I asked for quote on Kooks long tubes, x-pipe with cats, installation and tune. Came back with price of $5200+!! Jeeezus.

Now I'm in Canada...so part of the problem. But breakdown was $1500 for headers, X-pipe with high flow cats is $1850 (whaaaaat???), $650 for labour, and then like $1200 for custom tune.

Assuming the x-pipe with high flow cats he quoted is the one with the Green cats...but that's ridiculous. I'm fine with the labour cost mostly. But when I asked if the tuning quote included a hand-held tuner that I would be keeping....it doesn't. WTF. Says he uses HP tuner and it's a one time use that costs him $500???

So LG Motorsports headers and x-pipe combo is looking more affordable option. And might look further into just getting a canned tune with handheld...data logging, and updating. I'm not paying over $5K for 30-40 HP or whatever. For a few grand more I could just put A&A centrifugal supercharger on and have 600+hp.

Some days I miss my Mustangs. Stupid Corvette tax on everything aftermarket....especially up North.

Last edited by Speedthrill; 03-16-2017 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:59 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Does your car currently have NPP? If so, and you'd like to stay stock appearing or "smog legal appearing", pick up a used full LS7/LS9 exhaust setup. Good bang for the buck mod if a high quality LT's are stretching your budget too much. If you don't have NPP, you could pick up a "NPP in a box" kit to convert your car to NPP.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

So LG Motorsports headers and x-pipe combo is looking more affordable option. And might look further into just getting a canned tune with handheld...data logging, and updating.

Some days I miss my Mustangs. Stupid Corvette tax on everything aftermarket....especially up North.
Thats the route that i took also ....LG's , High Flow cats, picked up a used Diablo for $200 and had Diablow Lew do a custom tune , sent him a few log files .....and my car runs great !

Dont forget to add a CAI ....

Dave
Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 AM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got SS 1-7/8" headers, into 3" X-pipe, and have less than $600 invested. $120 of it was labor to weld the mufflers up. I bought it new, and it's working perfect.
I can always blow a few grand on exhaust later if I get bored. If you hold the pedal down about 70% and wait for the NPP to open, the tires break loose when it opens now. It's friggin' awesome. I know I should get a tune...
Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 AM
jimmymac25
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got SS 1-7/8" headers, into 3" X-pipe, and have less than $600 invested. $120 of it was labor to weld the mufflers up. I bought it new, and it's working perfect.
I can always blow a few grand on exhaust later if I get bored. If you hold the pedal down about 70% and wait for the NPP to open, the tires break loose when it opens now. It's friggin' awesome. I know I should get a tune...

Get notified of new replies

To Headers choice help

Quick Reply: Headers choice help