C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket leak!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Default Head gasket leak!

Last I upgraded my LS2 243 heads to some Mamo worked Trick Flow heads. At this time I used cometic head gaskets to bump my compression a bit. Well I smelled a faint odor of coolant, ggrrr! Looks like my dowel pin had something to do with the sealing issue. Luckily it was the passenger side so disassembly was quick. I ordered another head gasket yesterday but I'm going to get another set of dowels from the dealer just to cover my ***. Here are a few pictures.
Coolant was leaking on this bolt, you can see a slight orange tint to the allen head within the head stud.
Making progress.
Teaching my girl the correct way
Everything off.
Sit and wait.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:35 PM
z06scentair
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Copper spray coat the head gaskets this time around.

I've made a habit of using it on the last few builds and haven't had any issues.

Looks like a fair amount of carbon buildup on the pistons, how many miles so far since you put it back togther.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by z06scentair
Copper spray coat the head gaskets this time around.

I've made a habit of using it on the last few builds and haven't had any issues.

Looks like a fair amount of carbon buildup on the pistons, how many miles so far since you put it back togther.
Hey z06, well to be honest I didn't completely clean the carbon off on my install (lazy). It's been a few thousand miles sense I did the head install. Yeah I'm going to spray the head gasket with copper spray I also ordered some new dowels as well.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got back around to putting it all back together. The dowels were definitely the problem. Next time I will install new dowels, lesson learned. I also sprayed the head gasket with copper spray as I used the same head gasket because it looked perfect. Here a couple of photos.

New dowels on the right if you couldn't tell.
Almost back together.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brandon619:
sallen619 (03-20-2017), z06scentair (03-17-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Head gasket leak!

Quick Reply: Head gasket leak!