C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on Cutout placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 09:36 PM
YLLWC6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Opinions on Cutout placement

I ordered a set of headers and catless x pipe for my 08 C6 and plan to keep on stock mufflers with cutouts. My goal is to make the car really loud. Is it best to place the cutouts before or after the X on the X Pipe to maximize sound and performance? The car is otherwise stock but plan to get an intake down the road. Up to this point I've had muffler deletes but I want it louder. Thanks
Old 04-14-2017, 04:40 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=c6+c...iw=472&bih=509
Old 04-14-2017, 05:03 PM
jashmore1234
Le Mans Master

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Mine are on the back of the x-pipe just before the transmission and they are "send the women, children and old people running" loud.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:49 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Only place they fit is back by the transmission. You have to install turndowns, if you blow the exhaust on the spring it will fail.

I love my qtp cutouts and they have been great for 10+ years. Quiet or loud my choice.

But they are not as loud as open npp because they direct the sound at the ground. They sound great but not so crazy loud.

Here are pics video and my thread from long ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
Old 04-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I had mine installed before the X on the X-pipe. The car was extremely loud.... like scary loud.

Having said that, you should install them after the X closer to the transmission. Installing them so close to the header will expose the motors for the cutouts to excess heat. I had to replace the motors for the cutouts 3 times due to them giving out from the heat.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:50 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Only place they fit is back by the transmission. You have to install turndowns, if you blow the exhaust on the spring it will fail.

I love my qtp cutouts and they have been great for 10+ years. Quiet or loud my choice.

But they are not as loud as open npp because they direct the sound at the ground. They sound great but not so crazy loud.

Here are pics video and my thread from long ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
No way, a cutout is seriously quieter than NPP opened up?

That's surprising.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:00 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by doomi
No way, a cutout is seriously quieter than NPP opened up?

That's surprising.
For sure it is. NPP is LOUDER outside the car, particularly at WOT.

Cutouts are louder IN the car with their deep sound, due to the fact the cutouts are redirected toward the ground. Have you ever heard a car with turndowns toward the ground? They thump and vibrate cause of the sound at the ground. I like that sound a lot.

I'll have my friend who pointed this out chime in here.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:03 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

For sure it is. NPP is LOUDER outside the car, particularly at WOT.

Cutouts are louder IN the car with their deep sound, due to the fact the cutouts are redirected toward the ground. Have you ever heard a car with turndowns toward the ground? They thump and vibrate cause of the sound at the ground. I like that sound a lot.

I'll have my friend who pointed this out chime in here.
Please don't take my comment at disagreement. I haven't heard a card with turndowns to the ground. That's why I was surprised.

​​​​​​
Old 04-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by doomi
Please don't take my comment at disagreement. I haven't heard a card with turndowns to the ground. That's why I was surprised.

​​​​​​
Oh I certainly wasn't! Frankly I had the cutouts for 7 years before my buddy pointed it out to me. He'd always had NPP. I just never paid attention, he was riding in my car and noticed how good my car sounds inside.

If you have headphones, listen to this race up loud. It sounds great. When I play this in my daily Prius the car shakes, I do it for people who ride in the Prius for the first time and they can't believe it. I can tell you the subwoofer in the Prius makes it sound JUST like the Vette, it's hilarious.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

I've read of people installing cutouts on their NPP exhaust because it wasn't loud enough.

I know when I had mine, they were extremely loud. I couldn't have a conversation with people standing outside of my car when the cutouts were open. I had them installed right after the cats. They didn't go through a muffler like the NPP exhaust.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hells
I've read of people installing cutouts on their NPP exhaust because it wasn't loud enough.

I know when I had mine, they were extremely loud. I couldn't have a conversation with people standing outside of my car when the cutouts were open. I had them installed right after the cats. They didn't go through a muffler like the NPP exhaust.
I could not put mine there as my header collectors use up that room.

Did you have stock manifolds?

If so then it makes sense if the cutouts are that far forward they will be loud. I had them on my Hurst Olds right behind the collectors and they would split your ears open if you didn't have a helmet on. Back where mine are on my Vette they are nowhere near that loud.

NPP is louder OUTSIDE the car than my cutouts at WoT. I know cause I used to have to plug my ears standing at the starting line next to my buddies cars videoing. My car is not that loud outside.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:50 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Did you have stock manifolds?
Yup, stock manifolds. But like I mentioned before it was a bad location due to the heat even though it sounded incredible. The motors kept going out.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:52 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hells
Yup, stock manifolds. But like I mentioned before it was a bad location due to the heat even though it sounded incredible. The motors kept going out.
Did you have QTP brand cutouts?

Mine are in there pretty tight by the transmission as you can see from my pictures and I don't think I've ever replaced a motor in 10 years.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Did you have QTP brand cutouts?

Mine are in there pretty tight by the transmission as you can see from my pictures and I don't think I've ever replaced a motor in 10 years.
Yes, QTP. It was also a tight fit on mine but I wanted it to be as loud as possible.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:53 AM
YLLWC6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips guys. I should have them installed by next week and will update with exhaust clips once they are done.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on Cutout placement

Quick Reply: Opinions on Cutout placement