C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Sub Frame - Bend or Break

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:00 AM
Hellbringer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Sub Frame - Bend or Break

Hello,

I am working to putting back together a C6 base that had some forceful unplanned bodywork done to the front end (:cough: an accident :cough: )

Passenger frame rail was bent, and it was bent straight up. Replaced the frame rail and measured everything 12 times it felt like and it measures within 1mm in every direction, and left matches right as well.

Went to put the drive train back in last night and front sub frame is not lining up with the mounting bolts in the frame rail (probably off by about 3/4 of an inch )

After calming down that the frame rail was in the wrong place, and remeasuring the frame rail, which still is measuring within 1mm) and matching top and bottom no matter how i measure, i started looking at the sub frame.

If i measure from rear mounting hole on front sub to front mounting hole on the rear, the left is off by roughly 3/4 of an inch found the problem....

Now the question, my understanding is these sub frames are aluminum, and aluminum likes to crack and not bend. I do not see any cracks, or bends, to the naked eye it looks as straight as an arrow. Is it possible to have a bent sub frame, and have no stress lines, cracks or wrinkles?

Last edited by Hellbringer; 05-03-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:17 AM
Hellbringer
Advanced

oh an one more note, the upper control arm on the accident side was pretty bent, but the rim and the tire had no damage
Old 05-03-2017, 03:53 PM
09LS3
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The base C6 and the Gran Sports use steel frames, the Z06 and the ZR1 use aluminum frames.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Hellbringer
Advanced

Originally Posted by 09LS3
The base C6 and the Gran Sports use steel frames, the Z06 and the ZR1 use aluminum frames.
I thought that the base and GS used aluminum, and the Z06 and ZR1 use magnesium, and the magnesium subs are half the weight of the base subs

I am pretty sure mine is aluminum, I use magnets to locate centers of holes when measuring, and my magnets do not stick to the sub.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

09LS3 was confused about what you were referring to. What he said is correct about frames. You're talking about the engine cradle, however. I'm not sure if they would bend or break.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:46 PM
Hellbringer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tech
09LS3 was confused about what you were referring to. What he said is correct about frames. You're talking about the engine cradle, however. I'm not sure if they would bend or break.
Rereading it, that makes sense, the Base and GS do have a steel frame
Old 05-05-2017, 07:28 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 450 Likes on 275 Posts

The engine cradle will bend to a certain point before cracking. If the frame rail was bent as bad as you said then the cradle bent too. It would be better to replace the cradle because once that aluminum bends like that it will crack and break if you make an attempt to straighten it. If it does not crack when you straighten it, the stress point will be so weak that eventually it will break and you could have a mess on your hands.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
The engine cradle will bend to a certain point before cracking. If the frame rail was bent as bad as you said then the cradle bent too. It would be better to replace the cradle because once that aluminum bends like that it will crack and break if you make an attempt to straighten it. If it does not crack when you straighten it, the stress point will be so weak that eventually it will break and you could have a mess on your hands.
There are many different alloys and methods of manufacturing aluminum products to be able to handle the intended purpose with the least chance of failure. Just a visual tells me the cradle is a casting and the design is such that it's engineered for stiffness. The alloy isn't so hard that cracking under stress would be easy, however once stretched, you can't shrink it back to it's original shape.

I'd suggest finding another undamaged cradle to verify the mounting measurements will match your current frame attachment points, since it sounds like the frame was also stretched.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Sub Frame - Bend or Break

Quick Reply: Front Sub Frame - Bend or Break