C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blew a hole in the block at the Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:29 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blew a hole in the block at the Dyno

Recently purchased a 2005 c6 corvette with 17,000 miles. A whipple supercharger, headers, intake, exhaust, cammed. Without a tune. The guy said the corvette was rated for 700 horses but didn't have a dyno sheet available. He being the second owner. I finally got around to taking the Vette to the dyno today. For some reason it was running 200whp on the first pull. 200 less than stock.. even the gentlemen there were confused.
The third pull got to 505 whp with 20 lbs of boost I believe and the fourth pull he did was a more conservite tune and it was at 480 whp with around 13 lbs of boost. When the operator finished the pull, let off the gas and put in the clutch the engine blew. Smoke came out from the exhaust and mostly the engine. Turns out it was a connecting rod. The guy said the engine had been taken apart and possibly the rods weren't on correctly.
I did a little research and you can fight it in court but it can lean both ways. The supercharger wasn't getting enough coolant to it and he knew that but kept doing pulls. He has another ls2 at the shop and is offering it for 1.5 k and to rebuild the rest for around 10k. I originally just wanted to see what kind of power the Vette had and ended up blowing a hole in the block. Any advice or information/knowledge would be greatly helpful thanks all. Glad to be a part of the forum... just not like this for my first thread.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

In for discussion.

1) Used twelve year old model Vette with a supercharger bought.
2) Car not making correct horsepower when purchased.
3) Dyno shop tunes three times to attain 500 HP.
4) Fourth tune the engine blow up.

Owner sees fault with supercharger coolant system.
Owner sees fault with Dyno shop not see supercharger or temp faults
Owner looking to be made whole.

My opinion...used race car...owner pays.

P.S. Just maybe...when sold the car was detuned to 200 horsepower to hide a rod knock or save a known failing engine.

Again, in for comments.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

20lbs of boost from a whipple on your 3rd pull, 4th pull was 13 lbs? something doesn't sound good about that info
Old 06-08-2017, 07:44 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
In for discussion.

P.S. Just maybe...when sold the car was detuned to 200 horsepower to hide a rod knock or save a known failing engine.

Again, in for comments.
I When you ante in a high stakes poker game, they deal you a hand and you got to play it....sorry to say....
The following users liked this post:
HC Mechanic (06-13-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
In for discussion.

Again, in for comments.

The tuner pointed out the supercharger wasn't getting correct coolant. I guess there was another spot i needed to put the red coolant into. He tried putting some in and informed me it didnt take it all, said something was broken in the cooling system for the supercharger but continued to do pulls. I told him about the methanol injection. Which was full when I took the car in. I'm thinking the car was possibly de tuned as well. I have no idea why it would be making 200 whp when stock is 400..

Last edited by Niko17c6; 06-08-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:52 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by russ472
20lbs of boost from a whipple on your 3rd pull, 4th pull was 13 lbs? something doesn't sound good about that info
the third pull was the heavy duty one. At least out of the 4 he did. It was at 505 whp and I read 20 lbs of boost to the super charger. The 4th was a milder one he was going for and it had 480 whp 501 torque and 15 lbs of boos going down to a steady 11. The pull at 200 hp the boost or the air/ fuel wasn't reading correctly. It was way under 10 after the start of the pull

Last edited by Niko17c6; 06-08-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

I realize i have to pay for it so with that said is it better to go with another ls2 or an iron ls2? i shouldn't reach more than 700 hp after i get it back from the shop. Its just quite discouraging seeing your brand new (to me) corvette with only 17000 miles have a hole ripped in it just trying to tune it to the mods that were already bought. Seeing the pool of oil underneath the car after we rolled it out.. its heart breaking. I appreciate all of your information and knowledge. Thank you guys
Old 06-08-2017, 08:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

What is the name of this shop where it blew up? I'd like to know, and bet others would, too. Are you saying this car had a cam and supercharger with NO TUNE? Is that even possible---would the car run at all?

I do agree: this is all on your dime, as you now agree. But, seeing the poor condition of the car as it first went into the shop for a dyno run(s), I am not sure that is the place I'd take it to for a rebuild.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:13 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
What is the name of this shop where it blew up? I'd like to know, and bet others would, too. Are you saying this car had a cam and supercharger with NO TUNE? Is that even possible---would the car run at all?

I do agree: this is all on your dime, as you now agree. But, seeing the poor condition of the car as it first went into the shop for a dyno run(s), I am not sure that is the place I'd take it to for a rebuild.
Its called Dyno Pro Inc located in Arvada CO. I have no idea, it seemed like it had no tune whatsoever. I even needed to give it a little gas with the start up but when he kept tuning it that wasn't needed anymore. Im thinking it had to of been de tuned because the stock 05 vettes run at 400. With a supercharger and cam it doesn't seem possible to only be running at 200hp to the ground
Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

It is not the shop's fault at all. Did you even test drive the car before you bought it? Sorry to say, but it sounds like there were at few red flags with the car in the beginning. The engine was definitely damaged to begin with.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
It is not the shop's fault at all. Did you even test drive the car before you bought it? Sorry to say, but it sounds like there were at few red flags with the car in the beginning. The engine was definitely damaged to begin with.
Yes I test drove the car before I bought it but I've never sat in a 700hp car before. It sounded like it was more than 500 horses for sure and felt like it was boosted when I really got on it. Never owned a corvette before either so I took the owners word for it. He buys and re sells corvettes and told me it was more powerful than almost any corvette he has had previously. I know lots of faults on my end. It's how you learn I suppose.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

w/hippo bet a lot of damage was done before you got it, the run just finished it off
15-20 lbs of boost on a stock bottom end usually doesnt end well.
Sucks all the way around! start with a sound iron block forged piston proper ring gap etc at least youll know what you have. Built and tuned properly oughta run pretty hard.
Some people will say anything to sell a car, just never know these days. Hope you can make lemonade outta this one.

Last edited by cv67; 06-08-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:39 PM
CorvetteCam91ZO7
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Merely my 2 cents

stuff like that happens all the time bolts get stretched a little slop here a little slop there ! But really do yourself a favor if you plan on keeping car don't just throw a Ls??? That someone says has X or Y in it Build yourself something that will take 20lb of boost if that is what your into ? Last hot rod I lunched 4 different Motors that someone else had built and supposedly had gone threw ? Years ago 1979 L82 motor I spun a main Bearing didn't have the money to do the heads the way I wanted so did lower end motor was never the same and unloaded car cause really didn't want to tear down motor ! Try to do it right ounce ! Good luck and would love to put a Whipple style blower on my L98 C4 91ZO7 but would cost more than I could get for Car if I tried to sell it ! And it's not for sale just saying soft Market !
Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 PM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

i would say the shop should have taken it off the rollers at the first signs of trouble.

did they see any problems with knock or fuel on the 1st pass?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
w/hippo bet a lot of damage was done before you got it, the run just finished it off
15-20 lbs of boost on a stock bottom end usually doesnt end well.
Sucks all the way around! start with a sound iron block forged piston proper ring gap etc at least youll know what you have. Built and tuned properly oughta run pretty hard.
Some people will say anything to sell a car, just never know these days. Hope you can make lemonade outta this one.
Thank you! I appreciate the comment man and exactly now i'll know everything that gets put into the new engine and she will run exactly how i want her to
Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by russ472
i would say the shop should have taken it off the rollers at the first signs of trouble.

did they see any problems with knock or fuel on the 1st pass?
Yeah the fuel/air was un readable, it was way under 10 and basically just throwing fuel away but they were just saying I will have a whole new car once they finished tuning. It had to of been de tuned to of only had 200whp though, it just doesn't make sense to have that much less than stock with a supercharger. He also noticed the other cooling port for the supercharger was busted it wouldn't hold more than what went into the line. All i knew of was the methanol injection port that i was supposed to put 50/50 methanol/water into which is the blue windshield wiper fluid or another one called "boost juice" It was bound to happen eventually.. maybe not with the crappy tune that was already on it but i knew it wasn't tuned properly i was just too excited to get a Vette.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM
Niko17c6
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CorvetteCam91ZO7
stuff like that happens all the time bolts get stretched a little slop here a little slop there ! But really do yourself a favor if you plan on keeping car don't just throw a Ls??? That someone says has X or Y in it Build yourself something that will take 20lb of boost if that is what your into ? Last hot rod I lunched 4 different Motors that someone else had built and supposedly had gone threw ? Years ago 1979 L82 motor I spun a main Bearing didn't have the money to do the heads the way I wanted so did lower end motor was never the same and unloaded car cause really didn't want to tear down motor ! Try to do it right ounce ! Good luck and would love to put a Whipple style blower on my L98 C4 91ZO7 but would cost more than I could get for Car if I tried to sell it ! And it's not for sale just saying soft Market !
What do you suggest? There isnt that much of a differnce between the LS2 and LS3 besides price.. is an iron block able to handle around 17lbs of boost and it should be safe for anything under 1000 hp right?

Get notified of new replies

To Blew a hole in the block at the Dyno

Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The first post on this thread is fking funny. You bring a car in you know nothing about and think the guy in the drivers seat holding the throttle to the floor is responsible for your car puking? The place I take my car to dyno has a 22 year old kid pushing the start button on the the dyno and flooring my car. It is my responsibility to know my car won't blow. If it does tough poop, it could just as easily blow heading up an on ramp at full throttle.
Gee, a LS motor pushing 20lbs of boost couldn't handle it, totally surprised by that. Go back on the seller, he's the one that screwed you over.

Last edited by hippy; 06-08-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:55 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I gotta know....

what did you change between runs to go from 20 lbs to 13 lbs of boost?

OP answer only please.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:01 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KOZ
I gotta know....

what did you change between runs to go from 20 lbs to 13 lbs of boost?

OP answer only please.
About 7 lbs. Oops, sorry I'm not the OP.

Quick Reply: Blew a hole in the block at the Dyno