C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake manifold &throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM
rigo ruiz
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake manifold &throttle body

hey guys im looking to buy a sheet metal intake manifold(since i like the look) but is there any issue with heat soak and i been looking online for throttle bodys and i see they all look like they run by wire and since i have a ls3 i dont have a wire? any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated kinda new to ls plat form
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by rigo ruiz
hey guys im looking to buy a sheet metal intake manifold(since i like the look) but is there any issue with heat soak and i been looking online for throttle bodys and i see they all look like they run by wire and since i have a ls3 i dont have a wire? any guidance at all would be greatly appreciated kinda new to ls plat form
drive by wire means there is no throttle cable going to throttle body.everyone that sells tb's will have a tb for you
Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

yes there's an issue with heat soak, yes steel and aluminum transfer heat faster then plastic.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:28 AM
rigo ruiz
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
yes there's an issue with heat soak, yes steel and aluminum transfer heat faster then plastic.
would the f.a.s.t intake be better i do daily my car
Old 06-20-2017, 08:03 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by rigo ruiz
would the f.a.s.t intake be better i do daily my car
Why do you want a sheet metal manifold? What other mods do you have?
You might pick up a few hp with the FAST manifold, but very few, probably not enough to justify the expenditure. For a daily driver, it wouldn't make sense to change your manifold, unless you just want the look of having a different manifold. Even on a race car, a good sheet metal manifold is cost prohibitive and is a waste of money unless you're running serious boost on a seriously built motor. That's why most people don't change the manifold on the LS3. Some folks have ported them though, with mixed results.
Having said that, I changed mine - to a Heartbeat blower.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Send your stock manifold to Gwatney performance for the largest improvement for the least amount of money.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:10 PM
rigo ruiz
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by CI GS
Why do you want a sheet metal manifold? What other mods do you have?
You might pick up a few hp with the FAST manifold, but very few, probably not enough to justify the expenditure. For a daily driver, it wouldn't make sense to change your manifold, unless you just want the look of having a different manifold. Even on a race car, a good sheet metal manifold is cost prohibitive and is a waste of money unless you're running serious boost on a seriously built motor. That's why most people don't change the manifold on the LS3. Some folks have ported them though, with mixed results.
Having said that, I changed mine - to a Heartbeat blower.
i just like the look of a sheet metal manifold but i just got intake and headers so i guess i wont waste my money thank you on input !!!!!
Old 06-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sadly almost all the sheet metal intakes LOSE a TON of power. Like 40+rwhp. They will make your car a complete dog with no torque down low. Even in a 1000+hp setup they typically make the car slower.

If it is just a show car, and you don't mind being a lot slower, go for it, but it will kill the power band of the car. All of the sheet metal intakes are super short runner made for high RPM power. Like 7k+.

Also, to get a good one that isn't a flaming pile of crap, they are all $3k+. Then add rails, modifications to fit, etc and your looking at $3500+ to lose power.

Get notified of new replies

To intake manifold &throttle body

Quick Reply: intake manifold &throttle body