C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard to install a Z51 radiator??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 02:00 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Default How hard to install a Z51 radiator??

On a scale of 1 to 10 , how bad is the radiator install for the 2005 Z51?? Also, where can I get the best deal on a AC Delco radiator with the Z51 oil and manual trans cooler hook ups?? I also need the tool to unhook the oil and trans lines, who carries these?? Thanks in advance .....WW
Old 07-11-2017, 02:47 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Look up the guide on changing the harmonic balancer. Best I remember removing the radiator is part of the process.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:05 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

You can actually remove the HB without taking out the radiator. Just did it.

OP -- Radiator isnt too hard. I replaced mine a few years back. At the time, it took me a little longer than it should have. After doing my HB and revisiting some of the process, I could do it in about 1.5-2 hours with beer breaks. You will get different tips. Some say to purge the AC condenser, you dont have too. For ease, try to remove the radiator and the fan at the same time. The radiator has groves in it that the fan sits on and 2 screws holding it to the radiator. The radiator just pulls right out. The annoying part is getting all the hoses and cooler lines out because of the tight area. Let me know if you need more info. Ill be doing it off of memory.

To answer your questions:
Difficulty - 4 or 5
Best deal - I got luck and found mine on CL; I have seen a few on here over the years.
Tool for cooler lines - Dont need one. They are held in by clips. The clips can be pulled out using a small flat head screwdriver or curved pick. Once the clips are out, the lines pull straight out. You put the clips back in and when reinstalling the lines, you just push the lines in and verify they are in tight. You dont want one coming loose and dumping oil all over the place (it sucks).

Last edited by schizcat; 07-11-2017 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WW7 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by WW7
On a scale of 1 to 10 , how bad is the radiator install for the 2005 Z51?? Also, where can I get the best deal on a AC Delco radiator with the Z51 oil and manual trans cooler hook ups?? I also need the tool to unhook the oil and trans lines, who carries these?? Thanks in advance .....WW
I bought mine on Amazon, they had the best price at the time but I'd check there and also check rock auto, they tend to have great prices and fast shipping

You don't need a special tool for the lines. Just need a pick to pull the clip out and then the lines pull right out, no big deal. The C5's I believe needed a special tool but that isn't the case anymore

Overall it's not a bad job but is a bit cramped and can be frustrating. I'd give it a 4 or 5/10 in difficulty, it's more a PITA than difficult.

There are two ways you can do it that make it a little easier:

1. Break the tabs on the old radiator that hold the condenser on, that way the radiator will pull right out without getting stuck on the condenser. It's a pain to get the condenser off of both tabs at the same time.. and you probably don't need the old radiator anyways, so IMO just breaking them out of the way makes it way easier

or

2. Pull the radiator, condenser and fan out as an assembly. This is how I did it during my cam swap and it really made it fast but then you have to re-charge the AC system

It comes out fairly easy either way.. though honestly it went faster for me doing #2, but then you have to deal with discharging and recharging the AC system, so that is a bit of a pain unless you have the right equipment
WW7 (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You only need to break the top right (passenger) tab to free the condenser. If you trim that tab on the new radiator before installation to leave about a 1/4 depth, it'll be an easier job if you ever need to pull the radiator in the future.

As it is in the car

Rotate slightly to lift the condenser out of the last tab
WW7 (07-11-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know this thread is over a year old, but came up in my search so I thought I would ask here.

Are the lines for the external oil cooler on a 2008 Z51 the same 'E' clip style? Are they removable the same way (using a pick/ small screwdriver)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:45 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Yes and yes.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by schpenxel
I bought mine on Amazon, they had the best price at the time but I'd check there and also check rock auto, they tend to have great prices and fast shipping

You don't need a special tool for the lines. Just need a pick to pull the clip out and then the lines pull right out, no big deal. The C5's I believe needed a special tool but that isn't the case anymore

Overall it's not a bad job but is a bit cramped and can be frustrating. I'd give it a 4 or 5/10 in difficulty, it's more a PITA than difficult.

There are two ways you can do it that make it a little easier:

1. Break the tabs on the old radiator that hold the condenser on, that way the radiator will pull right out without getting stuck on the condenser. It's a pain to get the condenser off of both tabs at the same time.. and you probably don't need the old radiator anyways, so IMO just breaking them out of the way makes it way easier

or

2. Pull the radiator, condenser and fan out as an assembly. This is how I did it during my cam swap and it really made it fast but then you have to re-charge the AC system

It comes out fairly easy either way.. though honestly it went faster for me doing #2, but then you have to deal with discharging and recharging the AC system, so that is a bit of a pain unless you have the right equipment
Do you have to remove the big plastic piece that covers the front of the rad and condenser?.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:42 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AGFNTB
I know this thread is over a year old, but came up in my search so I thought I would ask here.

Are the lines for the external oil cooler on a 2008 Z51 the same 'E' clip style? Are they removable the same way (using a pick/ small screwdriver)?

Thanks in advance.
Actually this thread is only a few months old.. It wasn't a bad job at all... The hardest part was getting the plastic shield in front of the radiator out of the car..WW
Old 10-14-2017, 12:18 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Post # 5 has an excellent post, pictures and idea.

To trim the upper passenger retainer on the new part before installation so removal next time allows the condenser to be rotated to clear the other non trimmed retainers.

Just seems like a brilliant idea to me....who has never removed a C6 radiator.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

I'm searching and found this thread. My 2008 Z51 C6 just ate a radiator. I'm fairly proficient mechanically. I just got a quote and I'm thinking I may do it myself. I was going to change the water pump also. Is this a hard job to do?

Does anybody have more advice about replacing the radiator on these cars?
Old 11-01-2017, 03:18 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Street Rat
I'm searching and found this thread. My 2008 Z51 C6 just ate a radiator. I'm fairly proficient mechanically. I just got a quote and I'm thinking I may do it myself. I was going to change the water pump also. Is this a hard job to do?

Does anybody have more advice about replacing the radiator on these cars?
It's not a bad job, first time will take you maybe 4 hours to finish.. Like I said in my second post , the hardest part was removing the large plastic shield in front of the radiator.. I removed the radiator and fan as one unit, this made it very easy, I also installed the new radiator and fan as one unit and it dropped right in place... The water pump has 6 bolts and is also easy to do, make sure to install a new thermostat.. If you can get an AC Delco water pump that's you best bet, the other one's are a crap shoot trying to get one that will last... AC Delco pumps are more money, but this is one area that aftermarket parts are a bad idea.. The best price I found on my Z51 radiator was at Rockauto.com ..Good Luck....WW

PS.. There are a few "how to" threads on this site showing how to install a C6 radiator..

Last edited by WW7; 11-01-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Street Rat (11-03-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It's not that bad to do. Water pump isn't bad either.. you should be fine. Just take your time.
Street Rat (11-03-2017)
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I forgot to ask...

Did you guys take the hood off to replace the radiator?

I just looked at it and the answer seems to be a no.

Do I need to lift the front end to get to anything underneath?

Looks like some type of electrical box at the bottom right.

Getting ready to read some threads and the service manual.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Street Rat; 11-02-2017 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Add info
Old 11-02-2017, 11:28 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Don't need to raise the car ,but it makes draining coolant easier, the hood stays on.. To get the sensor out of the black box on the passenger side, you just need to pull a plastic pin to get it out..WW

Last edited by WW7; 11-02-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Street Rat (11-03-2017)
Old 11-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ordered the parts this morning.
They will be here on Saturday.

Let the fun begin.

Get notified of new replies

To How hard to install a Z51 radiator??

Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I went ahead and tore her down this morning. Wasn’t too bad. The hardest part was getting those two darn clips off of the transmission hose connections at the radiator.

Waiting on parts.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:54 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

When I was installing my radiator someone on here gave me a good idea to stop from messing up the fins on the radiator while putting it in...They said to tape a piece of cardboard on the front and back of the new radiator, that way if it made contact with anything while going in it wouldn't flatten out or mash any of the aluminum fins.. I'm sure if I wouldn't have used the cardboard I would have ended up screwing up my new radiator....Also with the new radiator you just push the trans and oil lines into the connections until you hear them click, the click you hear is the clip snapping around the line lock.. this lets you know they are all the way in and locked....WW

Last edited by WW7; 11-03-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Street Rat (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 06:27 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok it’s all done. Thanks for the help everyone.

Next time I will have pliers that help get those darn radiator GM hose clamps on and off. Also plenty of replacement push in clips and a good tool to remove them.

Last edited by Street Rat; 11-06-2017 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply: How hard to install a Z51 radiator??