C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat under armrest

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:52 AM
dreskiluv
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Heat under armrest

Is anyone else noticing a lot of heat under the armrest, when I take my keys or anything metal out can't even hold in hands. Is this heat level normal. 2008 C6Z06
Old 08-08-2017, 07:13 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

yep , many posts about it , the exhaust runs thru the tunnel right below the armrest

Dave
Old 08-08-2017, 07:15 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

unfortunately it is normal.
There is aluminum duct insulation that you can put underneath it to get it cooler on the cheap, or you can buy a thicker insulated torgue tube tunnel plate to prevent alot of the exhaust pipe heat from getting to the inside.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 PM
dreskiluv
Instructor

Thanks I was a little worried. Now just have to figure out what to do if anything
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by dreskiluv
Is anyone else noticing a lot of heat under the armrest, when I take my keys or anything metal out can't even hold in hands. Is this heat level normal. 2008 C6Z06
I installed Noico sound deadening under the console and it made a significant difference in the amount of heat. Before real hot like you described, after, it is just warm.

Noico is a two part system, the bottom is similar to Dynomat, and then another foam layer goes on top of that. I also lined the rear compartment and behind the seat. A significant reduction in road noise.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

When I installed the MGW shifter, I insulated the entire shifter and console area with Dynomat. It helped insulate from both heat and noise. It will not illuminate the heat, but Dynomat will reduce it.

Those who are running 4 catalytic converters (2012+) are probably experiencing a little more heat.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-09-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 AM
crazyorigin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a catless exhaust and it really reduced the temps a lot. If you can get it inspected and are gonna replace the full exhaust I recommend this. there really isn't any downsides to it with a proper tune and a source that will inspect it with no hassles.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

When I installed my long tubes and catted pipe I thermal wrapped the headers and cats....huge reduction in heat! I think I may add some thermal insulation tape to the tunnel plate for even more reduction.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Not normal. You should sell me your car for super cheap since it is defective.

JK. Yes, the heat is normal. I never put anything in the center console that can get damaged by heat (ie cell phone) or any metal items (coins).
Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyorigin
I did a catless exhaust and it really reduced the temps a lot. If you can get it inspected and are gonna replace the full exhaust I recommend this. there really isn't any downsides to it with a proper tune and a source that will inspect it with no hassles.
The cats trap a lot of heat. Catless headers with thermal abs and a coated x-pipe solved the center console heat problem for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

There is a vendor selling pre cut insulation that lines the console and beverage holder. It's much better since I installed it.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
When I installed the MGW shifter, I insulated the entire shifter and console area with Dynomat. It helped insulate from both heat and noise. It will not illuminate the heat, but Dynomat will reduce it.

Those who are running 4 catalytic converters (2012+) are probably experiencing a little more heat.
Same here. It gets HOT on a long drive in the '13. One big piece of insulation under the console, tucked into the carpet helped immensely. Before, any loose change in the console would get almost too hot to hold. Now it's barely warm. Just wondering if holding that heat in the tunnel is bad for anything . Should be fine..

I did a good bit of research on those insulated tunnel plates and stick-on insulation kits for the tunnel plate. Found NOTHING positive about them.. Shame, I was hoping that was the ticket for this.

The pre-cut insulation for the cup holders and console is hilarious. You can get a roll of dynomat(or equivalent) to stick UNDER that stuff for less. Vette-tax at its finest.

Last edited by LoganExplosion; 08-11-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

When I installed my headers I used this and it seriously reduced my console heat, top and sides Highly recommend
NSF
https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
Old 08-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
When I installed my headers I used this and it seriously reduced my console heat, top and sides Highly recommend
NSF
Are you able to install that without dropping the exhaust?
Old 08-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Homer3D
Are you able to install that without dropping the exhaust?
It would be extremely tough, in fact I'll say no, the adhesive is very sticky. I would drop your exhaust to be truthful. But IMO it would be worth it
And Fred (I believe the owner) has side pieces that he sent me to try out that go directly below the tunnel shield. If I read it correctly it will become part of the package, but I can't swear to that.
NSF
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM
dreskiluv
Instructor

thanks for all the feed back even you HOMER(lol), now I have check on price of getting exhaust dropped to add insulation.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Overpowered
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Like an oven in trans tunnel

My auto shifter cable bushing getting destroyed prematurely by heat.

Will this specialty insulation work? Should I get the thicker plate asnd/or consider the insulated plate from Elite Engineering.

Advice???

Get notified of new replies

To Heat under armrest

Old 08-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Overpowered
My auto shifter cable bushing getting destroyed prematurely by heat.

Will this specialty insulation work? Should I get the thicker plate asnd/or consider the insulated plate from Elite Engineering.

Advice???
If you are referring to my post then I would say yes it will definitely help your situation, I say this because it did to me, my tunnel heat where my leg rested against it would get very warm as I said, so much that I would put a MF rag there on a long jaunt, now its cool to the touch, that indicates the Z-Cool tunnel blanket from Specialty Auto Materials worked.
If you want to take it one step further then you can add the thicker tunnel plate and while your at it insulate the tunnel itself since you have the plate removed. I didn't do that
NSF

PS Fred is mocking up a piece that goes underneath the rear half of the console top piece & one for under the console storage compartment, it is a special blanketed aluminized barrier that will stick on, I'm waiting on getting the trail pieces now. Will advise

Last edited by Not So Fast; 08-18-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:34 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I used X-Mat from Eastwood. I actually did my complete interior and Noise and Heat was significantly reduced. My water bottle in the cup holder would get so hot on a long drive that i could make tea... now it stays nice a cool. Hugh Difference !

Last edited by Z06Qazi; 08-20-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
NSF
FYI I just installed this last week on my 07 Z06 and it went in while I had just the front X pipe out and left the rear center section in place. I have not driven it enough to tell you the difference but you only need to take one section out if you have American Racing headers for sure.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
Not So Fast (08-23-2017)

Quick Reply: Heat under armrest