C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Trans Tunnel - 2011 GS Auto Shifter Bushing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM
Overpowered
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hot Trans Tunnel - 2011 GS Auto Shifter Bushing Problems

So I have had my 2011 GS automatic for a few months now with >50k miles.

About a month ago, my trans was stuck in D. With guidance of this forum, I found the bushing at the shifter had degraded and broke apart. At these miles, it was better to replace the whole shifter cable for piece of mind. I replaced the cable (straightforward, but not easy since there is little room for big hands and lots of stuff in that tunnel is sharp.)

Not much driving/miles since install and drove today in lots of traffic >90 degrees and the bushing on the new cable at the shifter lets go. I remove the shifter to take a peek in the tunnel, bushing fell out on tunnel floor and the tunnel temp is hot like an oven. I think I melted the new bushing.

Before I attempt just the bushing replacement, I need some advice and understanding if the major heat in the tunnel is a symptom of something else.

Slow crawling traffic so not a lot of airflow under car in Georgia at >90 degrees with AC on and engine staying at or below 220 degrees.

I have NPP exhaust and drive mostly in the open position.

Should the tunnel get hot enough to melt the plastic bushing?
Will running the exhaust in normal mode effect the tunnel temperature?
is there something wrong with the driveshaft/tube that would create more heat?
should I insulate around the shifter area and/or try and insulated tunnel bottom plate?
Other thoughts?

Help?

Eric
Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM
RICH 28
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Why do you think the new bushing was melted? Was it deformed? If not, then I think the bushing wasn't seated properly on the shifter cable ring. See if you can re-seat the bushing where it snaps in good and tight.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:11 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

11 GS A6
Done while installing headers - and with ceramic coated headers/ pipes reduced temp much. Used HVAC tape and (Boom mat) mat takes care of sound and heat!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:08 PM
Overpowered
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RICH 28
Why do you think the new bushing was melted? Was it deformed? If not, then I think the bushing wasn't seated properly on the shifter cable ring. See if you can re-seat the bushing where it snaps in good and tight.
It was seateted. Bushing was new one that came on new cable and was seated. Shifter was all the way into bishing. The bushing was 2 pieces now when i took it out.. I put new bushing in but waiting on other guidance on bottom plate a and insulation options before reassembling.

Thank you
Old 08-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Overpowered
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HK770
11 GS A6
Done while installing headers - and with ceramic coated headers/ pipes reduced temp much. Used HVAC tape and (Boom mat) mat takes care of sound and heat!

is there a specific boom mat that works for exterior of car and handles the heat? Looks great - more specifics on material. Result looks great and if not too hot in tunnel may solve my issue.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:08 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

This made a significant difference in my console heat, and if you can do as the poster above that's even better
NSF
https://specialty-auto-materials.net...e-heat-shield/
Old 08-21-2017, 07:24 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Weird that the Bushing went that quick... Mystery. Should of lasted longer..
Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 PM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

I eliminated both front and rear bushings after stranded first time no way in Godsland that would be allowed to go down again.
I put a bolt nut and washer with tread lock done!

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Trans Tunnel - 2011 GS Auto Shifter Bushing Problems

Quick Reply: Hot Trans Tunnel - 2011 GS Auto Shifter Bushing Problems