C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy trim addition to radiator top edge

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 04:31 PM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Easy trim addition to radiator top edge

Found my ECT dropped 5-8 degrees in traffic after removing the cover that came with my ECS kit but didn't like the look of the raw edge of the radiator, especially after cutting it with a hacksaw and beating the edge down with a hammer.

Bolted 2 pieces of 1" x 1" x 1/16" angle together and was a perfect snug fit to slide over the top of the radiator. $12 Total.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:42 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

That's a neat cheap way to cover that channel on top of the stock rad.
The better, albeit slightly more expensive, way would have been to install a Dewitt's.
Your coolant temps dropped after you removed that cover?
That's weird. I would have thought the opposite would happen?
Wait, where's your AC condenser core?

Last edited by CI GS; 08-19-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:56 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CI GS
That's a neat cheap way to cover that channel on top of the stock rad.
The better, albeit slightly more expensive, way would have been to install a Dewitt's.
Your coolant temps dropped after you removed that cover?
That's weird. I would have thought the opposite would happen?
Wait, where's your AC condenser core?
It never really ran hot, always under 210f in traffic with temps in the 90s, but traffic around here means stopping for the cows or chickens next door to cross the road.. Just had the cover off for other reasons and noticed temps dropped, probably not pulling in hot air from the pavement anymore when stopped, and my hoot is vented so there's that.

Car's just a garage queen and not driven in the extreme heat or cold but might put the condenser back in during the off season.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
It never really ran hot, always under 210f in traffic with temps in the 90s, but traffic around here means stopping for the cows or chickens next door to cross the road.. Just had the cover off for other reasons and noticed temps dropped, probably not pulling in hot air from the pavement anymore when stopped, and my hoot is vented so there's that.

Car's just a garage queen and not driven in the extreme heat or cold but might put the condenser back in during the off season.
Cow and chickens next door?What part of NJ are you from?

I would've thought that could only make your car run warmer. Looks like, as with everything, it's a sum of the total that affects cooling on these cars. I took the shroud off mine a while back, and I thought that would make it run hotter, but my car never gets over 205*, even in stop and go traffic with the A/C on. But maybe that's because I have a modded Halltech Beehive that directs the air through the rad.
We have lots of cows and chickens crossing the road here too, btw. The cows are usually the two-legged kind though.

Last edited by CI GS; 08-19-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:17 AM
NJ_phil
Burning Brakes

Northwest corner... Near the Delaware water gap. Lots of farms, cattle and corn.
I'm just leaving everything as is unless it gets near 220f.

Last time I was in the Caymans I remember a guy ripping the husk off a coconut with his teeth then demanding $5 because I watched him. I just forked it over to avoid an argument. Rented a jeep to get away from all the tourists and had a great time...didn't see any cows, it was either scantily clad women or locals
Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NJ_phil
Northwest corner... Near the Delaware water gap. Lots of farms, cattle and corn.
I'm just leaving everything as is unless it gets near 220f.

Last time I was in the Caymans I remember a guy ripping the husk off a coconut with his teeth then demanding $5 because I watched him. I just forked it over to avoid an argument. Rented a jeep to get away from all the tourists and had a great time...didn't see any cows, it was either scantily clad women or locals
Ha, I've driven from JFK up to West Milford a few years ago (to inspect a drill rig that I was buying for the quarry business). I was surprised how nice and quiet it was up there.
I didn't know you'd been down here to the Rock. I'm pretty sure that fool with the coconut was a little local hustler called Georgie. He rolls around town with a shopping cart full of coconuts that he steals from everyone's trees, peddling them to tourists. Real piece of work - I've actually locked him up before for poaching conchs in a marine park and for theft. He hates the sight of me, lol.
Man, somehow we've digressed from engine cooling to street vending...
If you ever come down this way again make sure you look me up.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:47 PM
GaragedLS2
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I was surprised to find my car ran cooler with the shrouding off as well. Only problem I found is that the car actually runs hotter during high mph pulls or getting on it at high mph. It stays cooler during idle and sitting in traffic though so I suppose its all in what you need.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy trim addition to radiator top edge

Quick Reply: Easy trim addition to radiator top edge