C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low coolant level message

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:05 PM
C6moore
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low coolant level message

Low coolant level message comes on but coolant level is good...is this the sensor in the reservoir???
Old 08-28-2017, 02:04 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

This happened to me a few time, then it stopped occurring. There are a couple threads out there about it. I read about it but don't recall the answers. Try googling it.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:36 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There is no coolant level sensor despite the message, it does this when it thinks the coolant temp isn’t behaving corrrecty. For me it was the coolant temp sensor going out

Stock thermostat and fans?

Any codes? I’d check and see if there are first. Mine had one pending for the coolant temp sensor not working correctly. It compares IAT and ECT after the car has been off for a long enough time and expects them to be similar. If they’re different by more than something like 20*F then it thinks something is wrong.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:24 PM
C6moore
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by schpenxel
There is no coolant level sensor despite the message, it does this when it thinks the coolant temp isn’t behaving corrrecty. For me it was the coolant temp sensor going out

Stock thermostat and fans?

Any codes? I’d check and see if there are first. Mine had one pending for the coolant temp sensor not working correctly. It compares IAT and ECT after the car has been off for a long enough time and expects them to be similar. If they’re different by more than something like 20*F then it thinks something is wrong.

Yes its all stock...and I'm not showing any codes...this is my first vette so I'm not familiar with them....will it have a code and not show..if so how do I find out..will a pocket obd find these code or do o need to take it in??..the message very seldom comes on but it comes on when I stop for a lil bit and leave it running...
Old 08-28-2017, 07:49 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Nah no reason to take it in. Any OBD reader would pick up any pending codes (which won't set the SES light yet)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM
C6moore
3rd Gear

Nah no reason to take it in. Any OBD reader would pick up any pending codes (which won't set the SES light yet)
ok good deal thank you very much for your time and info
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

it's a "watch dog fault" in the program. it doesn't set a code. my tuner saw that this was going on and "tuned" it out. Schpenxel is right.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:56 AM
dgbase
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a coolant reservoir there is a switch located usually on the bottom of reservoir. It works with a floating valve attached to the switch mechanism, Over time, the floating valve can get stuck in debris within the reservoir. This happened to me and the low coolant light keep coming on repeatedly.
Repair included removing coolant reservoir held on with two 10 mm nuts and remove two lower connecting hoses and one upper overflow hose after disconnecting coolant switch underneath the reservoir, I than thoroughly washed out reservoir with hot water and added dish-washing detergent. I did this 5 times and shook reservoir vigorously several times until you hear a clicking sound, THIS means the float is now working and the floating switch connector now can send a signal to turn off the DIC low coolant message once the switch closes after filling up the reservoir to the cold level. It works fine now on my 1999 Corvette..Be sure to rinse soap out well with warm water one you hear the clicking sound before you re-install the coolant reservoir. Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:33 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

There is no such sensor on C6’s. Weird, but it’s true.

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-22-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
dgbase
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1998-2004 C5 Low Coolant IDC message Issue with FIX

There is no such sensor on C6’s. Weird, but it’s true.
Sorry, My Bad here -You are correct about the C6
I tried to enter this response here at the C5 - 1998-2004 coolant reservoir group fix for the issues with the "Low Coolant Message" issues.
Hopefully this response to fixing the problem with the float sensor within the reservoir is found in the C5 area when they search . Thank again for informing me of the error where this message landed.
dgbase
Old 01-23-2018, 10:25 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

It's a weird one.. I had a code for something related to the cooling system once and was sure it was the sensor but couldn't find one. Hopefully it helps someone else when searching and they find these posts.

Get notified of new replies

To Low coolant level message

Quick Reply: Low coolant level message