C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP Electric Cut Outs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default QTP Electric Cut Outs Installed

Growing up with hot rods I found the C6 to be a little tame in the sound department. I have NPP exhaust but sometimes want louder!

Now have 3 options:

1) Quiet
2) Respectable rumble
3) Wake the neighborhood!

Not a lot of room in a C6 for cut outs. Most position near the trans and leaf spring. However, with an automatic there is even less room than with a stick. I had to go to plan B. Looking around, seemed the best (only) location was before the X pipe. I did lose about 1.5” of ground clearance. Would be almost flush if you didn’t use the electric controllers. Haven’t scraped on anything yet.
I’m really pleased with the sound, a low rumble. Not extremely loud. I guess because the exhaust has gone through the cats. No popping or backfire at deceleration. Not near as loud as my C3 with mid length headers and extensions.
I didn’t want to drill holes or install switches so I used a remote control, Velcroed to the firewall near the battery.
Now I can please the wife when cruising around and impress my buddies too!

With dumps and extensions only.

With electrically controlled butterfly valves installed
Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

need a sound clip. I have considered this as well to scare small children and give old people heart attacks.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Durien512
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by EviLS7
need a sound clip. I have considered this as well to scare small children and give old people heart attacks.

I used to run a set of QTP headers and cutouts back in my LS1 days... Good stuff for sure!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:11 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Durien512

I used to run a set of QTP headers and cutouts back in my LS1 days... Good stuff for sure!
I use to run 3" cutouts on my 98 LS1 Camaro and had an issue with a couple people yelling at me saying slow down even though I was only going 20 mph. I just want the electric ones so when im coming home late I can shut them and be sort of quiet.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:54 AM
crazyorigin
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if those 4 bolts holding them on are quite large enough to hold well.....

Great looking setup.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crazyorigin
I don't know if those 4 bolts holding them on are quite large enough to hold well.....

Great looking setup.
Thanks! The bolts do look like they may be overkill, LOL. A sound clip wont really do it justice but I will send one. Its not as loud as I expected. Probably because the cut outs only channel some of the exhaust out the side of the pipes. The installer welded the extensions on from the inside then cut out the original pipe leaving a lip and a smaller hole. I'm considering removing the exhaust, grinding off the lip to enlarge the opening and having it welded from the outside. Should make it flow better but it will likely be louder.

Inside cut out
Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great mod, I’ve had mine for over 10 years now and I love them. Use them all the time.

Do you have headers? I think with headers you can’t put them where you have them, but headers will make them a lot louder if you could get them to fit. A cam will make it a lot louder too but without headers a cam is limited.

Here is my setup from so long ago with videos.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Great mod, I’ve had mine for over 10 years now and I love them. Use them all the time.

Do you have headers? I think with headers you can’t put them where you have them, but headers will make them a lot louder if you could get them to fit. A cam will make it a lot louder too but without headers a cam is limited.

Here is my setup from so long ago with videos.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html
Very nice! You have a lot more room with your standard transmission than I have with my auto. I really like the sound, not all the time but there when you want it! Not as loud as some but nice and deep and a lot louder than an aftermarket muffler. I couldn’t justify taking off my perfectly good NPP mufflers and replacing with something only incrementally louder.

I'm interested to see the difference at the track. I noticed my mileage improving as the computer adjusted to the increased air flow. I’m wondering if it confuses the computer opening and closing the exhaust. I may need to run with the cuts outs open for a while, prior to a track run, to let the computer tune for best performance.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:49 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Fantastic - tucked in there really good - I too have the A6 and I like they way you located them!

Very clean

Thanks,Matt
Old 08-25-2017, 02:50 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I dyno tested with my cutouts open vs closed, with no cam and 386 rwhp the cutouts didn’t make a difference. At 436 rwhp it was 6 rwhp difference (from memory) open vs closed. Now keep in mind I have stock mufflers, so I think that 6 rwhp is captured by the NPP system as it was rated 6 rwhp more from the factory on the ls3. At 475 rwhp it was more than 6 but I don’t recall how much. As you increase in HP the effect from additional exhaust flow increases.

Keep in mind that running around with them open will cause your computer to correct fueling in open loop, keeping fueling at 14.7. But, in open loop (such as when at WOT) the computer commands about 11.5 with no feedback on corrections. You might gain a couple of hp from the cutouts but since you have NPP already it won’t be much, your exhaust is quite free flowing from the factory with NPP.

Long winded answer to say don’t get your hopes up for much if any performance gain from the cutouts since you have NPP based on my dyno experience over the years.

But, enjoy the sound! I like cutouts because they direct the sound to the ground where the deep bass sounds great. And you can hear them in the car much more than you can the NPP. One of my favorite mods!

By the way I have pics of my friend’s QTP install on his automatic, he is in Sweden and he had to create some Sweden craftsmanship to make the cutouts work with an automatic. If Photobucket wouldn’t be holding me hostage I could show you.. It wasn’t easy as you noted!
Old 08-29-2017, 04:57 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Hi Joe.

Thanks for the info. I'm learning more about these computers all the time. Are you saying the car goes out of closed loop at WOT and the computer doesn’t make any adjustments? I always thought the computer was the reason the LS cars I raced against were so inconsistent on ETs while my carbureted 383 ran within .02 every pass.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
Hi Joe.

Thanks for the info. I'm learning more about these computers all the time. Are you saying the car goes out of closed loop at WOT and the computer doesn’t make any adjustments? I always thought the computer was the reason the LS cars I raced against were so inconsistent on ETs while my carbureted 383 ran within .02 every pass.
The computer doesn't correct fueling when in open loop (such as during WOT), it commands 11.5 or whatever and that's it.

LS engines have a significant timing reduction table based on inlet air temp in the stock tune, up to 12 degrees of timing starting at 86 degrees IAT. Your IAT will go up from say ambient of 80 degrees to 150 while waiting in the lanes and the car will pull 12 degrees of timing. That's why they are often so inconsistent.

Good bracket racers that race LS cars and use the stock tune know this and they will let their cars get good and hot before each pass, then the IAT will be as hot as it gets (around 150 degrees from my scans) and they will just race at about ½ of normal commanded timing. It hurts their ET but they are consistent.

Most tuners recommend a cold air intake and they reduce the inlet air timing reduction table until really hot, like 130 degrees which you don't see when you have cold air intake.

Last edited by Joe_G; 08-29-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:46 PM
zeps7784
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you notice any increase in heat coming from the cutouts when they are open? I know with my C6 Auto the trans tunnel and floor get awful hot as is with the corsa exhaust and x pipe.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zeps7784
Do you notice any increase in heat coming from the cutouts when they are open? I know with my C6 Auto the trans tunnel and floor get awful hot as is with the corsa exhaust and x pipe.
Not hot at all! My dumps point almost straight down which may make a difference. I drove on the highway and in city traffic with no issues. It’s a lot more fun to drive with the cut outs open, especially in paddle shift mode. Before, I couldn’t really get a feel for what the engine was doing, lugging, over revving etc. Now there is a lot more feedback and it’s very instinctive. I’m finally enjoying the paddle shifter and I’m super pleased!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 PM
Clint's C3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Joe_G
The computer doesn't correct fueling when in open loop (such as during WOT), it commands 11.5 or whatever and that's it.

LS engines have a significant timing reduction table based on inlet air temp in the stock tune, up to 12 degrees of timing starting at 86 degrees IAT. Your IAT will go up from say ambient of 80 degrees to 150 while waiting in the lanes and the car will pull 12 degrees of timing. That's why they are often so inconsistent.

Good bracket racers that race LS cars and use the stock tune know this and they will let their cars get good and hot before each pass, then the IAT will be as hot as it gets (around 150 degrees from my scans) and they will just race at about ½ of normal commanded timing. It hurts their ET but they are consistent.

Most tuners recommend a cold air intake and they reduce the inlet air timing reduction table until really hot, like 130 degrees which you don't see when you have cold air intake.
That’s really interesting. Seems the best thing to do would be to disable the auto correction for temperature. Don’t know if that’s possible. I have a Vararam CAI. Would that be more or less consistent as the ambient air temp is always changing but less affected by engine temp?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:55 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Clint's C3
That’s really interesting. Seems the best thing to do would be to disable the auto correction for temperature. Don’t know if that’s possible. I have a Vararam CAI. Would that be more or less consistent as the ambient air temp is always changing but less affected by engine temp?
Yes you can disable or reduce the timing reduction table using HP Tuners or EFI Live. Your Vararam makes it less necessary as you're getting about 5-10 degrees over ambient which is a lot cooler than you get while stopped. After about 6-7 seconds even the stock inlet air gets close to ambient and you get your timing back but those first few seconds really matter in a drag strip run.

Get notified of new replies

To QTP Electric Cut Outs Installed

Quick Reply: QTP Electric Cut Outs Installed