C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Exhaust Manifold Fitment Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 11:41 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Default LS2 Exhaust Manifold Fitment Problem

10 years later I've decided to take my 2006 Convertible exhaust system back to stock, replacing the LG headers I had installed (and never would seal up on cylinder 1). I got a pair of used exhaust manifolds that I have had a nightmare of a time getting installed onto the heads (I of course like an idiot 10 years ago recycled my originals). I was able to get the passenger side on with some struggles but the driver's side just won't go, there's about a 3mm (1/8") misalignment between the holes on the flange of the front pair versus the rear pair of tubes.

I have verified it's the correct GM part number, even taking off the heat shield to check the casting, the gasket lines up perfectly on the head but when overlayed on the manifold shows the overlap I described. I got some 8mm studs and threaded them into a couple of the holes in the cylinder head but still can't get anywhere. My assumption here is the cast iron has moved from heating & cooling cycles and short of somehow moving the metal of the manifold it's just not going to work.

So before I drop $$ on a brand new part I wanted to check in to see if anyone had a suggestion for getting these to work, aside from not having been an idiot 10 years ago, I got that one covered! Thanks in advance.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:14 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Google is my friend.. sometimes you just have to know what to search for though. A friend mentioned spreader to me and hey, wadda ya know.. I post this for posterity in case some other inexperienced wrencher is having the same problem some day.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:25 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Lisle Exhaust Manifold Spreader 1300 is used for early sb chevy's, but great idea if one was made for the LS version that would be much smaller, if it fits.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l.../applications/
Old 08-26-2017, 08:31 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Right on!

Sounds like you got a set that were hot when pulled off, perhaps, and cooled while off the car.

Glad you got it sorted out and the good old fashioned spreader worked - thank you for sharing the reminder, experience, and knowledge!

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 08-26-2017 at 08:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheKomoman (08-27-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by extrapilot
Lisle Exhaust Manifold Spreader 1300 is used for early sb chevy's, but great idea if one was made for the LS version that would be much smaller, if it fits.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l.../applications/
It's not perfect but you can get it between the 2 middle pipes where the flanges split. Biggest pain is getting it locked into place as you spread it, it wants to spin itself out. My son was helping me out so between us we got it wedged.

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Right on!

Sounds like you got a set that were hot when pulled off, perhaps, and cooled while off the car.

Glad you got it sorted out and the good old fashioned spreader worked - thank you for sharing the reminder, experience, and knowledge!

Thanks,Matt
Looking at the design I don't know that you could get a used set that wouldn't require some persuasion. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 Exhaust Manifold Fitment Problem

Quick Reply: LS2 Exhaust Manifold Fitment Problem