C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door unlock not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:29 PM
JsC6
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Drivers door unlock not working

Drivers door unlock not working On door.
I can lock and unlock pass door lock switch - it also beeps when I push them
The drivers door will beep and I can lock it. But I can't unlock it and it doesn't beep.
Both key fobs work great.
What is the fix for the drivers door lock/unlock switch and how do I get switch out?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:31 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JsC6
Drivers door unlock not working On door.
I can lock and unlock pass door lock switch - it also beeps when I push them
The drivers door will beep and I can lock it. But I can't unlock it and it doesn't beep.
Both key fobs work great.
What is the fix for the drivers door lock/unlock switch and how do I get switch out?
Are you trying to open it passively (fob nearby & squeezing the door handle) or actively (pushing the open button on the fob)?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:44 AM
JsC6
Advanced

I am referring to the drivers door unlock button/switch. Everything else works as it should.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I am referring to the drivers door unlock button/switch. Everything else works as it should.
I wanted to know how you were trying to open the door.
Were you pressing the door pad or pressing the button on the fob?
There are two methods to open the door and each has it's own solution in the event of a failure.

I'm assuming you meant open the door from outside the car, since you mentioned lock/unlock.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 09-10-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:51 PM
JsC6
Advanced

I'm pulling up to curb and want to push unlock button/switch on drivers door so someone can get in car. Unlock doesn't work, but lock does. I have to reach over to passenger door to unlock switch/button on door to unlock door. Or put car in park.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I'm pulling up to curb and want to push unlock button/switch on drivers door so someone can get in car. Unlock doesn't work, but lock does. I have to reach over to passenger door to unlock switch/button on door to unlock door. Or put car in park.
That's the built in safety device which has the requirement to put the car in park. Details are on page 2-13 of your owner's manual.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:35 AM
JsC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
That's the built in safety device which has the requirement to put the car in park. Details are on page 2-13 of your owner's manual.
If its safety, then why am I able to reach over and unlock the door on the passenger side? It also doesn't work in park while sitting still. But the passenger side does.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:02 AM
JsC6
Advanced

Bump... anybody know how to remove/fix driver side door lock button/switch?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 AM
JsC6
Advanced

Bump... anybody know how to remove/fix driver side door lock button/switch? (not the door handle)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:00 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

If its safety, then why am I able to reach over and unlock the door on the passenger side? It also doesn't work in park while sitting still. But the passenger side does.
You can open it from the inside, as if you were the passenger, but the safety reason is so it can't be opened from the outside unless the car is in park.
The driver's door is the same way. If you defeated that ability, then you'd be opening up the possibility of a car jacking or invasion while sitting at a stoplight.

Again, refer to your owner's manual for information about your car.

BTW, replacing the switch will only result in having a new switch that works the same way as the current one.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:44 AM
JsC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You can open it from the inside, as if you were the passenger, but the safety reason is so it can't be opened from the outside unless the car is in park.
The driver's door is the same way. If you defeated that ability, then you'd be opening up the possibility of a car jacking or invasion while sitting at a stoplight.

Again, refer to your owner's manual for information about your car.

BTW, replacing the switch will only result in having a new switch that works the same way as the current one.
I'm probably not conveying my message well... If I am sitting in my driveway, in the safety of my gated community, the car is turned off, and I want to unlock the door whilst sitting in the driver seat - so that my wife can get in on the passenger side. The driver's side door "UNlock" switch/button does not work. Otherwise, why is the switch there? It doesn't work - I want to replace it. How do I get it out?

Last edited by JsC6; 09-14-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:22 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I'm probably not conveying my message well... If I am sitting in my driveway, in the safety of my gated community, the car is turned off, and I want to unlock the door whilst sitting in the driver seat - so that my wife can get in on the passenger side. The driver's side door "UNlock" switch/button does not work. Otherwise, why is the switch there? It doesn't work - I want to replace it. How do I get it out?
That switch is programmable to unlock either the driver's door, both doors, or neither door. Since you didn't indicate if it works on the driver's door, it's still an unknown as to the mode it's in.

When I said to read the owner's manual, I assume you didn't, since the programming method is described there. If you follow the directions and it still doesn't work, you may have one of several problems which include wiring and the BCM.

BTW, you still need either the accessory on or the engine running. If the engine is running the trans must be in Park. If the accessory and engine is off and you're still in the car for about 10 minutes, the whole system shuts down and you'll either need to use the emergency lever or turn the ignition/accessory on to open the doors.

Last edited by HOXXOH; 09-14-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:15 AM
JsC6
Advanced

I was reviewing my old posts and thought I would offer what the final solution was...I stood there and watched the authorized Chevrolet dealership replace the door lock switch. Still did not work.
Then they replaced the BCM (body control module) This item actually controls separate input and output signals for the door lock functions. That’s why it worked to lock, but not unlock the door. The door locks now work properly and it had absolutely nothing to do with reading the owners manual.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I was reviewing my old posts and thought I would offer what the final solution was...I stood there and watched the authorized Chevrolet dealership replace the door lock switch. Still did not work.
Then they replaced the BCM (body control module) This item actually controls separate input and output signals for the door lock functions. That’s why it worked to lock, but not unlock the door. The door locks now work properly and it had absolutely nothing to do with reading the owners manual.
Glad you got it fixed and you're happy.

However, I had already indicated that if you followed the instructions in the owner's manual and the switch didn't function correctly that wiring or the BCM was the likely problem. So apparently you never read the manual and continued to insist the switch itself was the problem. When the dealership tech replaced the door switch, it did exactly what I said it would do in post #10. Absolutely no change.

The tech should have checked for codes before replacing the switch, since there would have been none to indicate a fault with the switch and no need to replace it.

It's entirely possible that a new BCM was not needed and the replacement only did a reset of the system that could have easily been accomplished by just a battery disconnect/reconnect. That (battery reset) would have been the next advice if you had read the manual to verify the procedure was not the fault.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers door unlock not working

Quick Reply: Drivers door unlock not working