C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic/Sensor issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:23 PM
DarkKnight_rider
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic/Sensor issues

I just bought a 2005 C6 base model, engine is smooth so is handling but about a day after buying it the gauge screen told me to "Check Gas Cap" I readjusted it and after more than a day the message still showed, along with that message I also got "service active handling" and "service vehicle soon". I bought a new gas cap put it on and the problems still continued.

This Sturday I was washing my car and all of a sudden the headlights and blinkers started flickering like they were crazy (on and off, on and off). Later in the day I took a drive to SF and the "check engine" light came on along with "check gas cap", that night on my return the check engine light was gone. A family mechanic from the chevy dealership I called told me if I put on a new gas cap just to reset the battery so I did. but he was puzzled why the lights were flickering.

Now this morning while driving my fuel gauge went from full to completely empty, I pulled over thinking I was leaking fuel at the same time it was saying low tire pressure and "check engine" light came on. It was again just my electronics going crazy. I have called the used dealership very angry as these problems didn't show the day I got the car and when I spoke with the dealership they told me there were no warning lights or signals or anything like that. Chevy is saying that the dealership most likely unplugged the battery to hide the issue temporarily.

Your advice on the issue or what the dealership might have done will be useful.

Last edited by DarkKnight_rider; 09-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:53 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

They honestly may not have known about the issue or maybe they did. Either way if they didn't give you any sort of warranty, they don't have a legal obligation to fix anything. Unless you could prove that they knew about he issues and then intentionally misled you, you wouldn't even have a small claims case.

In some states, dealers are required to give a right to cancel. In other states, the right to return the car in a few days for a refund exists only if the dealer chooses to offer this privilege. I believe that the timeline in required states in only 1-3 days max though.

If you are mechanically inclined I would check grounds, battery connection, and all main connectors and plugs for corrosion. It sounds a lot like a connection issue somewhere as some of the problems are intermittent.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM
electricfish
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by User Omega
They honestly may not have known about the issue or maybe they did. Either way if they didn't give you any sort of warranty, they don't have a legal obligation to fix anything. Unless you could prove that they knew about he issues and then intentionally misled you, you wouldn't even have a small claims case.

In some states, dealers are required to give a right to cancel. In other states, the right to return the car in a few days for a refund exists only if the dealer chooses to offer this privilege. I believe that the timeline in required states in only 1-3 days max though.

If you are mechanically inclined I would check grounds, battery connection, and all main connectors and plugs for corrosion. It sounds a lot like a connection issue somewhere as some of the problems are intermittent.
Have the battery tested. Multiple electronic gremlins appear with a bad battery.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
DarkKnight_rider
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Guys. I will have the battery tested today.

And in terms of having any sort of proof, I have found something else. I have found a date on the battery, some one etched in "Used 6-5-17" on the battery which indicates the battery had been switched out at some point.

This also indicates the battery had been unplugged at some point reseting the system. When I talked to the dealer before he'd told me "we got you a new battery put in", which again wasn't the truth. They'd had a battery put in but it wasn't new.

I will check for the battery, after I will schedule an inspection.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkKnight_rider
Thanks for the info Guys. I will have the battery tested today.

And in terms of having any sort of proof, I have found something else. I have found a date on the battery, some one etched in "Used 6-5-17" on the battery which indicates the battery had been switched out at some point.

This also indicates the battery had been unplugged at some point reseting the system. When I talked to the dealer before he'd told me "we got you a new battery put in", which again wasn't the truth. They'd had a battery put in but it wasn't new.

I will check for the battery, after I will schedule an inspection.
Wow... It sounds like this place is all sorts of shady. Things have a way of coming back around.

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic/Sensor issues

Quick Reply: Electronic/Sensor issues