C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road course tire presuure

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:15 PM
CRMvettezr1
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Road course tire presuure

Putting on some new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on for road course. Can I get an opinion on cold tire pressure start? Going to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham next week. Cammed & bolt on mods. performance rotors and pads on vehicle. Done several road course events but not with this new tire brand.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:02 AM
JUST4TODAY
Navigator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pilot sport cup 2s

Originally Posted by CRMvettezr1
Putting on some new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires on for road course. Can I get an opinion on cold tire pressure start? Going to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham next week. Cammed & bolt on mods. performance rotors and pads on vehicle. Done several road course events but not with this new tire brand.
I have run 1 road course with new pilot sport cup 4s. maybe mine are not as good a tire. Very happy. broke them loose once and very surprised how much grip they have. Sorry cant tell about tire pressure mine are recommended nitrogen charged. They said to add just 2 lbs to start. PIR.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:35 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

There is no "Pilot Sport Cup 4", so I have no idea what the above poster is talking about. Additionally, you would typically not add tire pressure when going on a road course. Even with nitrogen, you will be heating the tires up and over-pressurizing (over-heating) them.

You are ultimately targeting a "hot" pressure, and how hot they get will depend on the road course you are on, your alignment, weight, ambient conditions, track surface, how you drive and a few other factors.

Most guys are targeting between 32-35psi HOT on Cup2s. Much more than that and the tires will overheat and lose grip. You should likely start at 26-28psi COLD and see where you end up after you get off the track. You will need to then add or take out air depending on final hot psi and most importantly how the car feels. So you need to check psi or temp after each run and make adjustments based on what you find, the conditions and how the tires are performing.

Here is what Michelin says:

Inflate the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup2 with a pressure between 1.7 bar (24 psi) and 1.8 bar (26 psi) front & rear
• Never allow the pressure to be below 1.5 bar (22 psi)

Hot tires
• The optimal operating pressure of the MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup2 must be between 2.3 bar (33 psi) and 2.5 bar (36 psi) Front & Rear
• Never allow the tyres to run below 2,0 bar (29 psi) HOT
The following users liked this post:
sslider02 (08-16-2023)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:48 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

I'd recommend starting around 26 or 27 psi cold.

As @Mordeth mentioned, your goal is somewhere close to 34psi when hot.

If you get more than 7 to 8psi of gain, you would be better to first try adding a half pound to a pound of air. Sometimes excessive gain means you started too low, and the tire runs over optimum temperature and gains more pressure than you expect. If that happens, adding a little air will reduce the pressure at the end of the next session.

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 10-13-2017 at 10:00 AM.
sslider02 (08-16-2023)
Old 10-17-2017, 04:14 PM
RDP Store
Supporting Vendor

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by CRMvettezr1
Hello Sir............Sport Cup 2's like to see about 33-34 hot......starting tire pressure for your very first run of the weekend is a crap shoot. IF you are in the 70 degree ambiant air temp about 27-28 should work. you will just have to stop mid session and check and adjust down ideally to your hot target
sslider02 (08-16-2023)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

There's also a ton of helpful info and people in the Road-Racing section here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roadracing-23/
Old 10-22-2017, 10:58 AM
All Stock Ls2
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I've done 26 to start and gotten to 32 when hot maybe even more but it was hard to keep looking as I was focusing on looking at the road haha

Get notified of new replies

To Road course tire presuure

Quick Reply: Road course tire presuure