C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Not Secured

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:35 PM
ibgolfr
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Not Secured

FOLDING TOP POSITION SWITCH

Recently when I put the power top up, I was faced with this message on the dash display. I believed that the tonneau had closed correctly and the top had seated on the windshield bow...I had latched it--what gives. I just could not figure it out and was on the door step to having the dealer scan the top module to see if there was a code.

As a new owner and member, I scouted around trying to see if the answer was already hiding among all these wonder and knowledgeable tips on the C6. I found discussions regarding the reported 5-micro switches associated with the power top. I could not however find exactly where each of these switches is located on the various top frame members and the tonneau lid. Someone did mention that some of them were located on the right side back of the top.

I had the top open again working on replacing the elastic straps which fasten to the upper frame member with a rivet and the #4 bow held in place with a hex-headed screw. Unfortunately--for me and my wallet-- I had already ordered two new straps--$45.00 ea.-- believing that there had to be a Service Bulletin on how to install these straps. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find such a Bulletin although I did find a bulletin which pictorially showed the strap rivet and it held fast with the screw in #4. Nothing on how one might successfully remove the rivet and replace it with the top material ON. Thus, given a lot of discussion by members on the utilization of bungee cord material I decided to go that route. Finding that I could not use these factory straps I called about returning them...at .35 cents on the dollar--YES, that is what GM charges for returns. Ain't that just wonderful--you gotta love a company that exists only because tax payers bailed their butts out of their own self made quagmire.

With the top open and held folded, I was exploring the strap location on the right side. I happened to notice a black toggle looking item in the lower right bottom near the frame This toggle had a slot in it about 1 1/2" in length. I placed a finger on it and toggled it freely back and forth...it seemed odd that it did not appear to be attached to anything. I then released the top so i could let the rear section move up and down. I became aware of a small black rod protruding from the frame and it was in close proximity to the toggle. I thought, has this toggle slipped off the rod somehow. I gently moved the toggle towards the center of the car and slipped it over the rod. As a moved the rear section of the top, these moved in unison. I then completed putting the top up and latching it at the windshield. Started to motor and --NO Message about the top not being secure.

Obviously, this is one of the micro-switches, I believe one is in the tonneau latch and another is in the left top windshield bow where the top pin goes. I hope that if you have a similar situation the pictures might assist you in locating the switch and seeing it the toggle and rod have become separated.

I am now attempting to properly route the rear liner curtain draw string. At some point the string must have snagged onto something, broken and who ever decided to make repairs simply did not want to take the time and effort to get it right. Look in the image just above the switch. There is a screw holding an eyelet. The draw string is supposed to feed through this and another higher on the frame and I believe that allowed the disconnection.

Does any member have instructions on threading the draw string properly when installing the head liner? I could really use them if you have them or know where I can find them.

Last edited by ibgolfr; 10-20-2017 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Top Not Secured