C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged Piston Reuse?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Damaged Piston Reuse?

Is it safe to use this piston. I sanded the sharp edges and the piston head is smooth, it does still have small indentions due to metal fragments that were in the cylinder. As you can see, the exhaust valve hit, the head is getting fixed as well. I didnt know if it was safe to reuse this piston. I have read a lot about it and everything I read said it will be good to go as long as there are no sharp edges to recreate hot spots. I haven't thoroughly cleaned the piston yet so anything on there is just residue there are no more sharp edges or high spots. Also, I read quite a bit about polishing it and its a 50/50 split, seems leaving them a little stuffed helps with collecting the carbon and better distribution. This is on a stock ls3 engine. No internal mods.
Attached Images   
Old 10-19-2017, 07:33 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

why would you want to collect carbon on top of a piston? I'd be more worried about what the cylinder wall looked like.

Last edited by CMY SIX; 10-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by EBuckC6
Is it safe to use this piston. I sanded the sharp edges and the piston head is smooth, it does still have small indentions due to metal fragments that were in the cylinder. As you can see, the exhaust valve hit, the head is getting fixed as well. I didnt know if it was safe to reuse this piston. I have read a lot about it and everything I read said it will be good to go as long as there are no sharp edges to recreate hot spots. I haven't thoroughly cleaned the piston yet so anything on there is just residue there are no more sharp edges or high spots. Also, I read quite a bit about polishing it and its a 50/50 split, seems leaving them a little stuffed helps with collecting the carbon and better distribution. This is on a stock ls3 engine. No internal mods.
that piston is a wall hanger
Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
why would you want to collect carbon on top of a piston? I'd be more worried about what the cylinder wall looked like.
Cylinder wall has no damage at all.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

It will probably be ok under normal circumstances. It kinda like a valve relief Racing, I would replace it if possible. You would want a OEM piston, because aftermarket pistons many times have a weight by several grams. With all the buffing you want to be sure to clean up all debris.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:00 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kevova
It will probably be ok under normal circumstances. It kinda like a valve relief Racing, I would replace it if possible. You would want a OEM piston, because aftermarket pistons many times have a weight by several grams. With all the buffing you want to be sure to clean up all debris.
Thanks Kenvova. It is normal conditions, I dont race it and only occasionally run it hard. I have no intentions of doing any internal mods, ie turbo or NO. IF or when i ever replace it, it would be with an OEM piston. Im not getting into the after market pistons.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:39 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

$100 or so for a new piston vs $3k+ for a short block ? Put a new one in and never worry about it.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 PM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
$100 or so for a new piston vs $3k+ for a short block ? Put a new one in and never worry about it.
Its not the $100 or so.. its the means of pulling the motor out to replace the piston, unless you know of a way to do it while its still in the car?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:43 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Its not the $100 or so.. its the means of pulling the motor out to replace the piston, unless you know of a way to do it while its still in the car?
I thought the engine was out already, that does complicate matters somewhat. I guess you could pull the other head and get the engine high enough to clear the crank, but at that point it would be less work to pull the engine. Sounds like a good opportunity for some upgrades. I would still be leery of reusing that one, it would always be in the back of my mind.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

IMHO - I would NOT reuse that piston !!! It's likely that when the piston tried to compress whatever metal was in the combustion chamber - that it cracked the aluminum and did more damage than you can see with your eyes. Sure - it may last years - but it also may fail in 10 minutes. Typically - when they fail - they take other expensive parts with them.

If this was my lawn mower I'd consider giving it a try - but not a Vette motor !!!
Old 10-19-2017, 08:10 PM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Originally Posted by Purple92
IMHO - I would NOT reuse that piston !!! It's likely that when the piston tried to compress whatever metal was in the combustion chamber - that it cracked the aluminum and did more damage than you can see with your eyes. Sure - it may last years - but it also may fail in 10 minutes. Typically - when they fail - they take other expensive parts with them.

If this was my lawn mower I'd consider giving it a try - but not a Vette motor !!!
It was the porcelain from the spark plug.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I wouldn't...but I'm not really a gambler.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

My vote: No

What's the saying, "Penny-wise pound foolish?

Your risk...engine still in car I read.
I think you have motor damage and you should pull the engine and make sure you repair it right.
Else, you can go with your repaired piston and hope it doesn't explode further and cost even more time and money....that's the risk.
No one can predict but we do know the value hit the piston top....piston, wrist pin, connecting rod, crank bearings all suffered some indirect damage.
Whether the damage occurred at idle with immediate shut off, or at a higher rpm and continued to run for a minute is not mentioned and I believe make a big difference in the repair plan.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:52 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Thanks Kenny. It occurred at idle, never went above 1000 rpms and was for about 30 sec. So does anyone know if I can get to it from the bottom and push it out the top, if I remove the oil pan?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Well, the way you normally assemble an engine is to bolt the crank in place, then install each piston and rod one by one. Removal is the exact opposite - so you should be able to unbolt the rod, then remove the rod cap, then push the piston and rod out.

Once the pan is off - I'd rotate the crank till that piston is at BDC, then do the unbolting and removal -- shouldn't be too bad a job - once the pan is off...

As a min - replace the piston. I'd be replacing the rod bearings as well - cheap insurance. If the piston doesn't rotate on the rod super easy - I'd replace the piston pin as well.....
Old 11-01-2017, 08:16 AM
EBuckC6
Advanced

Update: I appreciate the feedback from everyone. I was really tempted to change the piston, rod, bearings out, however after speaking to knowledgeable individuals, a few mechanics and performance gurus, I elected to keep the piston and clean it up.So, I did just that, sanded down the piston head, taking off all sharp edges and installing new intake and exhaust valves. Put it all back together and runs like a champ. Moral of all this is do research, read and ask the right people. The piston was fine with no other damage.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:38 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Is that the same piston? I don't see the valve mark
Old 11-02-2017, 09:11 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,349 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...after speaking to knowledgeable individuals...ask the right people...
I'm glad I didn't chime in earlier with all you non-knowledgeable wrong people...

Get notified of new replies

To Damaged Piston Reuse?

Quick Reply: Damaged Piston Reuse?