C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery.....I think??

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 04:44 PM
tomringo
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Dead Battery.....I think??

I think I know the answer to this but it was rather strange. (2013 427 original battery). Parked the car about a week ago in the garage, with the battery tender on. There were no starting issues or warnings prior. Tender has had a green light for the last 6 days. Went to start the car today and the door opened as normal, but then I got no start and " No Fob Detected, No Fob Off or Run. Tried the spare fob and same. Pushed the fob buttons and the only one working is the truck release. Had to use the emergency level to open the open to get out. I'm assuming the battery is just not getting enough charge? I'll change the fob battery but think I need a new car battery. Oh, I did put the fob in the glove box slot, and the dash lights all came on as normal, but no start, and got the warnings on fob and others, tract control, service soon etc. Thoughts? Thanks
Old 12-12-2017, 05:59 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I had a very similar thing happen to my battery a few years ago.
My Battery Tender Plus showed green (fully charged) but when I went to start, something similar also happened to me. I checked all the connections at the battery, starter etc. and all looked OK, so I removed the battery and had it load tested. It failed due to a shorted cell.

I guess that means that even a faulty battery can show a full charge, but does not have enough current to crank over the car.

Check all your connections, and if they look OK, get the battery load tested. Battery voltage without load doesn't tell you much.

Good luck

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 12-12-2017 at 06:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tomringo (12-12-2017)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:07 AM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Jump start it and take it to the dealer! Let them worry about it. A 2019 should still be under warranty.

I have had two new cars, not Vettes, need the battery replaced. The Service Manager told me the new cars have to be run 15 minutes every twe weeks, better every week, or it will drain the battery just sitting there.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:29 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Battery

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
Jump start it and take it to the dealer! Let them worry about it. A 2019 should still be under warranty.

I have had two new cars, not Vettes, need the battery replaced. The Service Manager told me the new cars have to be run 15 minutes every twe weeks, better every week, or it will drain the battery just sitting there.
OP has a 2013.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:59 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

The battery is 9 yrs old??
I would replace it even if it worked ok.
Are you willing to risk getting stuck some place because you're too cheap to do regular maintenance?
Old 01-08-2022, 01:10 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

9 year old battery = Immediate Battery Change...
Old 01-08-2022, 04:57 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Had a similar problem years ago. Battery replacement fixed it. These cars EAT batteries and some really strange, nonsensical stuff starts to happen when the battery gets weak.

As was stated a 9 year old should be replaced anyway but I think there's a good change it will fix your problem.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:56 PM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 507 Likes on 293 Posts

it is in the trunk it is not that hard to get it out there are several you tube videos to show you how. the hardest part is getting it out of the trunk it is in there tight and the OEM battery does not have a built in handle. The trick to getting it back in is to put it in on a diagonal then slowly tease it horizontal
Old 01-09-2022, 02:05 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by tomringo
I think I know the answer to this but it was rather strange. (2013 427 original battery). Parked the car about a week ago in the garage, with the battery tender on. There were no starting issues or warnings prior. Tender has had a green light for the last 6 days. Went to start the car today and the door opened as normal, but then I got no start and " No Fob Detected, No Fob Off or Run. Tried the spare fob and same. Pushed the fob buttons and the only one working is the truck release. Had to use the emergency level to open the open to get out. I'm assuming the battery is just not getting enough charge? I'll change the fob battery but think I need a new car battery. Oh, I did put the fob in the glove box slot, and the dash lights all came on as normal, but no start, and got the warnings on fob and others, tract control, service soon etc. Thoughts? Thanks
You think? Nine year old battery....of course it's bad!
Old 01-09-2022, 11:56 PM
slothman
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts

that battery deserves a gold friggen star if it lasted 9 years LOL
Old 01-10-2022, 02:46 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
You think? Nine year old battery....of course it's bad!
The battery was about 5 years old when the OP started this thread in 2017.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery.....I think??

Quick Reply: Dead Battery.....I think??