C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 zo6 cam install/front cradle issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 01:31 PM
MRDRZO6
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C6 zo6 cam install/front cradle issue

Hopefully someone can help me out with this issue.....I recently performed my own cam swap on my 09' C6Z, like many others I had to lower the oil pan slightly to make room when I removed the oil pump. To lower the oil pan most of the write up's mention lowering the engine cradle to accomplish lowering the oil pan. I lowered the engine cradle about 1/2 inch, did the cam swap and bolted everything back up. Once I got the car off the jackstands I placed the car on the ground in my garage and noticed there is a larger gap between the tire and fender. I'm thinking I didn't torque the front cradle to spec causing a separation between the chassis and body of the car, can anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:45 PM
EviLS7
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts

You have to drive the car around to get it to settle back down. After I jack mine up it looks like a 4x4, but I drive it and it goes back to what it was.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:57 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

and you or others DID NOT HAVE TO DROP THE CRADLE OR OIL PAN TO DO THE PUMP
Old 12-18-2017, 09:08 PM
OregonMike
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm fixinta do a cam in my 05 ls2 and am told I should do the oil pump while I'm in there so I'm interested. Is there a trick to getting it out without dropping the pan/cradle? I've never done it so appreciate any advice

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
Old 12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonMike
I'm fixinta do a cam in my 05 ls2 and am told I should do the oil pump while I'm in there so I'm interested. Is there a trick to getting it out without dropping the pan/cradle? I've never done it so appreciate any advice
don't touch the pan or cradle.remove the oil pump bolts and it comes right off
The following users liked this post:
OregonMike (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 10:17 AM
MRDRZO6
Instructor

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
I would love to have had you there to show us the way. There were 3 experienced mechanics there and the pump was slightly moving but would not come forward, I can definitely see how lowering the oil pan is the safer method since it separates the oil pump seal decreasing the possibility of tearing the seal. Once we lowered the oil pan about 1/2 inch the oil pump came right off.

I'm new to the Vette world so any advice or guidance I can get I will not turn down, thanks for the info and happy holidays!
Old 12-19-2017, 10:23 AM
MRDRZO6
Instructor

As you can see in my thread opinions vary, mine is a 09' ZO6 and the pump would NOT come off of the crank snout. I can say from experience not every car is the same so if there was a trick/method other than just pulling it off with your hands I would be open to seeing how it's accomplished. Some say you have to use a puller to do so but have to do so carefully because of the oil pump seal others say they come right off. It took maybe 30 min total to lower everything, once that was complete it came right off, good luck with your project!
The following users liked this post:
OregonMike (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Will be my next mod....not looking forward to it (doing it)...
Old 12-19-2017, 02:56 PM
MRDRZO6
Instructor

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
Will be my next mod....not looking forward to it (doing it)...
I've had a 3rd and 4th gen Camaro fully built. So far the C6 is the easiest, just more expensive.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:47 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MRDRZO6
I would love to have had you there to show us the way. There were 3 experienced mechanics there and the pump was slightly moving but would not come forward, I can definitely see how lowering the oil pan is the safer method since it separates the oil pump seal decreasing the possibility of tearing the seal. Once we lowered the oil pan about 1/2 inch the oil pump came right off.

I'm new to the Vette world so any advice or guidance I can get I will not turn down, thanks for the info and happy holidays!
On a ZO6 the pan does need to be lowered in my opinion, but only a few turns of the bolts. No need to touch the cradle. Just enough to clear space between the pump base and the oil pan.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:49 AM
Red06Vette
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Installed a cam and heads on my '06 LS2 about 5 years ago, didn't drop the cradle, just loosened the pan bolts(about 4 back on each side) and removed front cover. It's difficult to get to the bolt for the oil pump pick up, but not impossible. I'm currently getting ready to do an install on an LS7 and this should be even easier, no pick up to be concerned about, all oil pump connections are "O" rings in pan gasket, lower pan slightly, remove front cover, do your cam install, pit a little RTV at corners of pan, cover, block and button it up. Doing an LS2 or LS3, you might want to carefully put a rag under pump/pick-up connection when removing/installing bolt, don't want it to drop in the oil pan.

John
Old 12-22-2017, 06:33 PM
Chiselchst
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 286 Posts

I can tell you from experience, the car will sit higher immediately after dropping back down, and will actually take quite a few miles of driving to reach "settled height". I've played with my front height adjustment bolts enough to know this. I cannot explain why - but it takes quite a few miles.

Can't help w/ the cradle though...

Originally Posted by MRDRZO6
.... Once I got the car off the jackstands I placed the car on the ground in my garage and noticed there is a larger gap between the tire and fender...!

Last edited by Chiselchst; 12-22-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:13 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe CMy6 can provide some detail. He seems to know most things but provides little detail. Ps if you are going to tell someone how Not to do it, then you should provide the information. Otherwise your comments are useless and not helpful to the forum.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:41 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
Maybe CMy6 can provide some detail. He seems to know most things but provides little detail. Ps if you are going to tell someone how Not to do it, then you should provide the information. Otherwise your comments are useless and not helpful to the forum.
the information your inquiring about is posted in this thread.no trick to removing oil pump in wet sump LS2 or LS3 C6 cars.remove oil pump bolts and your pump comes right out once the front cover has been removd.no need to lower front cradle or oil pan
Old 12-25-2017, 02:43 PM
MRDRZO6
Instructor

Originally Posted by sfrank2886
The point of this thread was not how to teach anyone anything, there's plenty of DIY on how to do these projects so no use beating a dead horse. If you read the thread you'd know that I actually did but ok.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:01 AM
CI GS
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 780 Posts

The wet sump cars do not require the oil pan to be lowered. All that is needed is to carefully remove the oil pump pickup tube from the pump (picture below), in order to remove the oil pump.
Although I’ve never done one myself, the dry sump cars (like the OPs car) are a completely different deal, which DO require the oil pan to be lowered, because the entire oil pump system is a different configuration altogether.
Not that this was the topic that the OP wanted to discuss, but since the resident CF forum a$$howl clearly couldn’t resist the opportunity to visit upon us, yet again, his gratuitous ignorance, I thought someone should point that out.
Now, the the point of the OPs actual question/issue, as mentioned already, it is normal for your car to sit a little higher for many hours after having the suspension unloaded for a while. It will settle back down to normal ride height after you do a few launches with that new cam.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CI GS; 12-27-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 zo6 cam install/front cradle issue

Quick Reply: C6 zo6 cam install/front cradle issue