C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Suspension Noise Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 11:45 AM
Hellbringer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front Suspension Noise Help

Hello,

I have a pop from my front suspension what to see if anyone else has had this problem and might know what it is.

For the details

- When ever i am turning sharp (into/out of a parking spot) going from left to right it will pop several times

- When ever i am driving and i take a left bend it will pop and then when i go around a right bend it will pop, but if i have 2 left bends in a row, the second bend i dont get a pop (almost like something is sliding)

- bumps is the road do not cause the pop. seems like it is turning

- except, when i am slowing down to come to a stop, just before the car stops i will get a pop.

- Have have had the car on a 2 post and 4 post lift and i dont see anything loose, dont see any witness marks, no play in the wheel bearings, or ball joints, checked the upper shock mount, they seem tight....

- Also, my alignment is spot on and not changing and steering is super tight.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael
Old 12-20-2017, 08:53 PM
crusher1
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

End links are probably the culprit. I had the same issue a few years then replaced front and rear end link. No more noise.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 PM
usctroj836
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Front end pop. 2009 Zo6

Originally Posted by Hellbringer
Hello,

I have a pop from my front suspension what to see if anyone else has had this problem and might know what it is.

For the details

- When ever i am turning sharp (into/out of a parking spot) going from left to right it will pop several times

- When ever i am driving and i take a left bend it will pop and then when i go around a right bend it will pop, but if i have 2 left bends in a row, the second bend i dont get a pop (almost like something is sliding)

- except, when i am slowing down to come to a stop, just before the car stops i will get a pop.

- Have have had the car on a 2 post and 4 post lift and i dont see anything loose, dont see any witness marks, no play in the wheel bearings, or ball joints, checked the upper shock mount, they seem tight....

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael
I had the same issue. Then a constant scraping sound. Front bearing went out. Had some kind of bearing kit put it. Apparently more complicated than just a ball bearing. Did not make the car undrivable. Take it to somebody that knows front suspensions. I go to the Chevy dealer. I am on my second extended warranty.
Old 12-24-2017, 12:40 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by crusher1
End links are probably the culprit. I had the same issue a few years then replaced front and rear end link. No more noise.
and that'd be my first guess. The second guess would be dead/dying rubber pads on the leveling bolts.

Easy way to check, would be to remove the front sway bar and drive the car. If the noise is gone, it's end links. Do a visual on the leveling pad thickness, which should be roughly an inch thick.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:49 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The sway bar can also shift to one side, causing to to make contact with lower control arm. You should check the three wheel bearing torx bolts on each side(back side of spindle), the upper and lower ball joint nuts, and the caliper bolts.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:43 AM
Daguilar89
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbringer
Hello,

For the details

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Michael
Did you ever figure out the popping sound? I have a ford expedition with the same exact problem. Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Ford expeditions all do that eventually. different issue. try the ford expedition forums.

Get notified of new replies

To Front Suspension Noise Help

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Noise Help