C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header bolt spinning

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Out of curiosity, I assume when you install the studs, you torque them to the same specs as standard header bolts (18 pounds I believe)? Then when you install the headers, do you also torque the nuts to the same spec? If so, what's to keep the stud from coming out when you attempt to remove the nuts (do you locktite the studs when you install them)?
Thanks!
Old 01-24-2018, 02:14 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RogerRamjet21
Out of curiosity, I assume when you install the studs, you torque them to the same specs as standard header bolts (18 pounds I believe)? Then when you install the headers, do you also torque the nuts to the same spec? If so, what's to keep the stud from coming out when you attempt to remove the nuts (do you locktite the studs when you install them)?
Thanks!
Studs are installed finger tight. You would only torque the nuts.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:18 PM
RogerRamjet21
Pro

Received 217 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Studs are installed finger tight. You would only torque the nuts.
And the last part of my question (what's to keep the stud from coming out when you attempt to remove the nuts )?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Once you break the nut loose, there is less friction from thread engagement on the nut than between the stud and the head. On a couple of occasions, I've something in the threads on the stud which makes the nut stop spinning. In which case, the stud comes out of the head before the nut comes off the stud.
The following users liked this post:
RogerRamjet21 (01-24-2018)

Quick Reply: Header bolt spinning