C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield wiper tank cap seal.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Windshield wiper tank cap seal.

Anyone out there have an ingenious idea on how what to use to cap my windshield wiper fluid tank? I have methonal in mine and if I wreck or get hit I don't want it spewing all over my hot headers causing a major fire. So looking for some sort of rubber cap that can seal it really tightly.

Any ideas?
Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

If you got hit...wouldn't the plastic of the housing also break?

Are you are making an assumption that the hit would expand air and pop the cap?

Vent the cap, run a line to under the car clearing the headers, screw the cap to the housing (u or x shaped bracket).

That's my initial thoughts.

Good luck.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:33 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
If you got hit...wouldn't the plastic of the housing also break?

Are you are making an assumption that the hit would expand air and pop the cap?

Vent the cap, run a line to under the car clearing the headers, screw the cap to the housing (u or x shaped bracket).

That's my initial thoughts.

Good luck.
I'm more worried about sloshing than the tank itself actually getting hit. The cap is such a loose fit that it would just fall right off if the fluids pushed against it.

I also thought of venting it as well. But what I'm looking for is the part or material that will fit the top of the reservoir.

I haven't been able to find anything that is that exact size that will be a tight fit.

Last edited by Socalconstruction1; 12-28-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:25 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Maybe plastic wrap and a hose clamp? Then snap the OEM cap over the wrap for a tight fit?
Old 12-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Capping is not the problem, but building a cap with a one way vent in it so the fluid can be pulled out is the harder part isntead.

As for windshield fluid itself, it contains about 20% meth to begin with.

As for running 100% meth, not the best, and better to run a mix of 50% meth, and 50% distilled water. The reason for this, the water is the mix turns to steam during the ignition stroke, and not only gives you more power to begin with, but also helps to keep the cylinder/piston top, exhaust valve and parts down line clean too. Plus the water portion of the spray helps to lower Air intake temps as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-28-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Harry
Maybe plastic wrap and a hose clamp? Then snap the OEM cap over the wrap for a tight fit?
Thought of that too, but was hoping for something more official. Like some sort of cap that is maybe made for another vehicle that fits perfectly on mine, or even like a rubber plumbing cap that fits perfectly and tightens with a hose clamp.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dano523
Capping is not the problem, but building a cap with a one way vent in it so the fluid can be pulled out is the harder part isntead.

As for windshield fluid itself, it contains about 20% meth to begin with.

As for running 100% meth, not the best, and better to run a mix of 50% meth, and 50% distilled water. The reason for this, the water is the mix turns to steam during the ignition stroke, and not only gives you more power to begin with, but also helps to keep the cylinder/piston top, exhaust valve and parts down line clean too. Plus the water portion of the spray helps to lower Air intake temps as well.
I use "Boost Juice" I belive it's a 50/50 mix. I don't run Boost though, my car is naturally asperated. I run the meth just to cool down AIT, which keeps my OEM computer settings from pulling timing on the car on hot days, and eve adds 2 degrees thinking it's colder. That's about 5 degrees of timing saved which is almost 50 HP. Some people tune for meth, and that would add a ton of power, but if the pump fails the engin blows fast, so I won't do all that. And yes, after I find a good cap I am going to add a vent to it forsure.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

How would water cause a fire? I don't think WW fluid is flamable
Old 12-28-2017, 10:03 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
How would water cause a fire? I don't think WW fluid is flamable
I use Boost Juice in mine. 50% meth 50 water. The Blue Washer fluid is dam close to the same and can even be used in place of Boost juice.Try throwing a cup of it on the fire, like I did. WATCH OUT! Hahaha it's better than Gas
Old 12-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1
I use Boost Juice in mine. 50% meth 50 water. The Blue Washer fluid is dam close to the same and can even be used in place of Boost juice.Try throwing a cup of it on the fire, like I did. WATCH OUT! Hahaha it's better than Gas
Screw store bought boost juice since it too expensive for that you getting, hence it's price includes shipping costs to ship a flammable chemical twice as well. Hence the methanol to them to begin with, then again out once it has been mixed with water to be sold to the public.

Go hit up a local chemical supply store to pick up methanol (HCHO) for about $6 a gallon, go to any food store to pick up a gallon of distilled water for around buck, mix the two equal parts, and you now have your own home made boost juice for $3.50 a gallon instead.

Last edited by Dano523; 12-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Akly control kits come with a new cap specifically setup for meth.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
Akly control kits come with a new cap specifically setup for meth.
Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. I went with the Snow Two stage setup and it came with bits own resivour. But I didn't want to add it, I wanted to just use what the car already had. Cleaner and easier. I'll have to Call Ally and try and get that cap.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:30 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

To be fair, it is just a stock cap with a vent, as you need to let it vent. Sealed will cause the tank to pressurize.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:12 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Default Resolution.

Originally Posted by Socalconstruction1
Thanks, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for. I went with the Snow Two stage setup and it came with bits own resivour. But I didn't want to add it, I wanted to just use what the car already had. Cleaner and easier. I'll have to Call Ally and try and get that cap.
Well after an hour in the hardware stire I got it all figured out. Home made remedy, just not sure how long it where I should run the vent.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:13 PM
Socalconstruction1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Unreal
To be fair, it is just a stock cap with a vent, as you need to let it vent. Sealed will cause the tank to pressurize.
[img]webkit-fake-url://c340c29d-5a3c-46c4-b68b-255e5d7fd3bd/imagejpeg[/img]

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield wiper tank cap seal.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper tank cap seal.