C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone experience broken axles with an A6 trans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 10:07 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Anyone experience broken axles with an A6 trans?

I'm trying to determine where axles might break on cars with A6 transmissions. If you broke one, was it a stock or aftermarket axle? Did you have a high stall converter? Were you using drag radials? What rwhp or 1/4 mile ET? What rear gear ratio?
Any pics appreciated.

Did you have axle loops? If so, were they mounted inboard or outboard?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 PM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 395 Likes on 360 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Broke a stock axle at the outboard end. Car was on stock converter at the time. Running 10.40s at 135ish. Was on MT 275/45/17s. I have axle loops that I are mounted about the middle of the axle. If one breaks at either end you just don't want it thrashing around taking out any wires, cables, etc in its way.

The following users liked this post:
HOXXOH (01-08-2018)
Old 01-08-2018, 12:59 AM
xBoostx
Melting Slicks

Received 251 Likes on 196 Posts

Not yet but working on it loop great idea for peace of mind.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Blk 08 C6
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

I need to get a pair of those from ECS for piece of mind.Roll racing and breaking tires loose from a roll.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:20 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 777 Likes on 506 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I'm trying to determine where axles might break on cars with A6 transmissions. If you broke one, was it a stock or aftermarket axle? Did you have a high stall converter? Were you using drag radials? What rwhp or 1/4 mile ET? What rear gear ratio?
Any pics appreciated.

Did you have axle loops? If so, were they mounted inboard or outboard?
You probably already know most of these details Tom, but here's my axle history:
  • Several years prior to the red car being stolen the clamp on the boot of the left one let go and starting throwing grease everywhere so I replaced it with a C5 axle
  • After at least 5000 passes and 90K miles, I finally broke the right stock axle while launching the car at Sonoma one morning and it ended up looking pretty much like realcanuck's did.
  • At that time the axle was the last remaining original driveline component as literally everything else had been swapped out by then.
  • I replaced it with another C5 axle and it surprisingly broke again only a few weeks later.
  • I was going to just replace that one with a stock axle again but due to some a**hole trying to get me tossed from the track for not having the proper safety equipment, I ended up being forced to upgrade to aftermarket ones.
  • My first choice was a set from The Driveshaft Shop but the wait time was close to 2 months, so I went with a set from GForce since Summit Racing had them in stock.
  • After less than 20 passes I noticed the one on the passenger side was starting to come apart so I sent them back to Summit and got a full refund.
  • I eventually installed a set of DSS axles and never noticed any issues prior to the car being stolen.
  • Around that time (July 2015) I installed a DSS set on the black car and after several hundred passes they still seem to be holding together.

Build details:
  • 2007 Corvette, 6L80E with an LS7 and huge cam
  • Approximately 600rwhp (based on ET and trap speed since I've never had the car on a dyno)
  • 3.42 C6 Z06 stock differential
  • Custom transmission brace
  • 315/35/17 Hoosier drag radials
  • Yank SS4000 converter
  • 1800RPM launch
  • Mid to high 1.3 60ft times
The following 3 users liked this post by subfloor@centurytrans:
CI GS (01-10-2018), GrandpaC6 (02-07-2022), HOXXOH (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
You probably already know most of these details Tom, but here's my axle history:
  • Several years prior to the red car being stolen the clamp on the boot of the left one let go and starting throwing grease everywhere so I replaced it with a C5 axle
  • After at least 5000 passes and 90K miles, I finally broke the right stock axle while launching the car at Sonoma one morning and it ended up looking pretty much like realcanuck's did.
  • At that time the axle was the last remaining original driveline component as literally everything else had been swapped out by then.
  • I replaced it with another C5 axle and it surprisingly broke again only a few weeks later.
  • I was going to just replace that one with a stock axle again but due to some a**hole trying to get me tossed from the track for not having the proper safety equipment, I ended up being forced to upgrade to aftermarket ones.
  • My first choice was a set from The Driveshaft Shop but the wait time was close to 2 months, so I went with a set from GForce since Summit Racing had them in stock.
  • After less than 20 passes I noticed the one on the passenger side was starting to come apart so I sent them back to Summit and got a full refund.
  • I eventually installed a set of DSS axles and never noticed any issues prior to the car being stolen.
  • Around that time (July 2015) I installed a DSS set on the black car and after several hundred passes they still seem to be holding together.

Build details:
  • 2007 Corvette, 6L80E with an LS7 and huge cam
  • Approximately 600rwhp (based on ET and trap speed since I've never had the car on a dyno)
  • 3.42 C6 Z06 stock differential
  • Custom transmission brace
  • 315/35/17 Hoosier drag radials
  • Yank SS4000 converter
  • 1800RPM launch
  • Mid to high 1.3 60ft times
Thanks Christopher. Knowing you had about 10 times more launches than I've had and most at a higher power level, makes me feel more confident in the OEM axles. Running high 10's and a 1.48 PB 60' with est 450hp shouldn't be a problem. I'm also believing the higher stall converter absorbs the shock more than the OEM unit, which realcanuk had when his axle broke. I'll just throw some minimal axle loops on to satisfy the gestapo techs.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone experience broken axles with an A6 trans?

Quick Reply: Anyone experience broken axles with an A6 trans?